Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Cutting government funding of religious schools

  1. #1
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,118

    Cutting government funding of religious schools

    Back in the 1960s, several people pushed for the secularization of schools saying that it violated the 1st ammendment even though funding religious schools and secular schools shows no bias towards religion since you're treating both equally. Back when the country was first founded, the forefathers had no problem with religious or secular schools. What makes giving both religious and secular schools funding favoring religion? Also, talking about creationism or intelligent design is seen as biased but evolution and the big bang aren't.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Cutting government funding of religious schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Masterhawk View Post
    Back in the 1960s, several people pushed for the secularization of schools saying that it violated the 1st ammendment even though funding religious schools and secular schools shows no bias towards religion since you're treating both equally. Back when the country was first founded, the forefathers had no problem with religious or secular schools. What makes giving both religious and secular schools funding favoring religion? Also, talking about creationism or intelligent design is seen as biased but evolution and the big bang aren't.
    The neutral state is a myth. Which is why treating truth and falsehood equally is unviable. Secularists must have falsehood enshrined above truth.

  3. #3
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oaxaca, Mexico
    Last Seen
    01-08-18 @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,579

    Re: Cutting government funding of religious schools

    People who pay to send children to religious schools are also paying for public schools and neither the government nor the parents ever say "thank you." I've never even gotten a thank-you note from the IRS.

    For me the question is, should the taxpayers be funding public schools that are failing year after year?

  4. #4
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oaxaca, Mexico
    Last Seen
    01-08-18 @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,579

    Re: Cutting government funding of religious schools

    I just ran across the discussion of the Blaine Amendment. It was proposed for the U.S. Constitution but failed and was adopted in many states. It's an interesting read.

    "The term Blaine Amendment refers to either a failed amendment to the U.S. Constitution or actual constitutional provisions in 38 of the 50 state constitutions in the United States that forbid direct government aid to educational institutions that have a religious affiliation. They were designed to prohibit aid to parochial schools, especially those operated by the Catholic Church in locations with large immigrant populations."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaine_Amendment

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-16 @ 07:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: Cutting government funding of religious schools

    On the other hand the left wingers have no problem with churches getting Federal funds for resettling immigrants, including illegal aliens, so as usual they are frauds and liars with no real principles and objections worth taking seriously. there is no reason at all for Federal and state governments to discriminate in funding against schools based on religion, in fact that would be a violation of the separation clause, at least as a point of law.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-16 @ 07:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: Cutting government funding of religious schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Masterhawk View Post
    Back in the 1960s, several people pushed for the secularization of schools saying that it violated the 1st ammendment even though funding religious schools and secular schools shows no bias towards religion since you're treating both equally. Back when the country was first founded, the forefathers had no problem with religious or secular schools. What makes giving both religious and secular schools funding favoring religion? Also, talking about creationism or intelligent design is seen as biased but evolution and the big bang aren't.
    I'm an agnostic, and have no problem with many of the intelligent design theories or creationism being taught, as they aren't any more logically absurd than the 'Evolution is Science' hoax is, and in many cases make more sense logically than the current evolution faddists do. In fact both the Big Bang theory and the evolution stuff steals their basic logical premises from the Old Testament anyway, which is hilarious as hell.

  7. #7
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,118

    Re: Cutting government funding of religious schools

    I posted this awhile back when I was still a christian and before I began questioning my faith. In the end, I became an agnostic.

  8. #8
    Guru


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-18 @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,098

    Re: Cutting government funding of religious schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    On the other hand the left wingers have no problem with churches getting Federal funds for resettling immigrants, including illegal aliens, so as usual they are frauds and liars with no real principles and objections worth taking seriously. there is no reason at all for Federal and state governments to discriminate in funding against schools based on religion, in fact that would be a violation of the separation clause, at least as a point of law.
    Religious and secular schools are not equals . There is no societal benefit from teaching children that the universe is magical. That some parents insist on paying to corrupt the intellects of children is god telling them they have too much money.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    03-05-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    298

    Re: Cutting government funding of religious schools

    The 1st Amendment was actually intended to intentionally fund and favor religious and spiritual ideology and actively discriminate against if not outright prohibit secular and atheistic ideology; the only stipulation is that it could not favor a specific religion or sect (e.x. Catholics, Buddhist, etc) over another.

    But ideally it could and should actively favor and fund ideologies centered on spirituality and moral objectivism over those centered on secular materialism and moral relativism, which have no place being in public schools at all; there's no need to treat them "equally" when the former is clearly morally and logically superior than the latter.

    Atheistic and secularist ideologies deserve no Constitutional rights or protection under the 1st Amendment, and if anything should be considered Constitutional sedition and outright banned in all publicly funded venues. Nothing more than the deviant ideology of rapists and murders, like the Marquis de Sade.

  10. #10
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    04-23-18 @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    571

    Re: Cutting government funding of religious schools

    Quote Originally Posted by D_NATURED View Post
    Religious and secular schools are not equals . There is no societal benefit from teaching children that the universe is magical. That some parents insist on paying to corrupt the intellects of children is god telling them they have too much money.
    Atheists believe in magic? Christians most certainly do not. Christians do believe in the Supernatural. They understand that GOD designed, created and formulated nature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •