Page 292 of 305 FirstFirst ... 192242282290291292293294302 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,920 of 3049

Thread: Atheism is a religion [W:1586,2242]

  1. #2911
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,476

    Re: Atheism is a religion [W:1586,2242]

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell797 View Post
    How have leprechauns been proven not to exist? Has anyone ever proven leprechauns not to exist?

    The answer is that leprechauns have not been proven to not exist. A negative can not be "disproven".

    No rational person thinks they do exist for the simple reason that they have not been demonstrated to exist. There is not any suggestive evidence for leprechauns. If and when such evidence does become available then and only then will the rational person think there is a chance leprechauns exist. Failing to prove leprechauns do not exist tells us nothing about whether or not they do exist. You can't even logically claim it's possible leprechauns exist because they have not been shown not to exist. Possibilities require knowledge of rules which would make them possible. We know of no rules, natural laws or anything which would enable the existence of leprechauns,,,,,,or god.
    Well, there is some suggestive evidence for the existence of fairies, which includes leprechauns. There is a near universality across cultures of hidden people/spirit folk that match descriptions of fairies. There is the case of Thomas of Ercldoun, aka Thomas the Rhymer, who is known to have existed and was known for his prophecy, which allegedly came from his experience of 7 years in Fairyland. Sightings and abductions were relatively common, and theoretically, alien sightings could be attributed to Fairies.

    Their lack of current evidence could also be explained if they were more electro-magnetic in nature (which would explain their invisibility, shape-shifting, and aversion to iron) as the modern prevalence of elecro-magnetic radiation would be extremely harmful.

    Of course there are better explanations for all that than actual existence of fairies. And there's no real evidence for the existence of supernatural or electro-magnetic based beings. So we cannot reject the null hypothesis of "Fairies do not exist" and therefore cannot accept the hypothesis that they do.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  2. #2912
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    04-22-18 @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,394

    Re: Atheism is a religion [W:1586,2242]

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    Well, there is some suggestive evidence for the existence of fairies, which includes leprechauns. There is a near universality across cultures of hidden people/spirit folk that match descriptions of fairies. There is the case of Thomas of Ercldoun, aka Thomas the Rhymer, who is known to have existed and was known for his prophecy, which allegedly came from his experience of 7 years in Fairyland. Sightings and abductions were relatively common, and theoretically, alien sightings could be attributed to Fairies.

    Their lack of current evidence could also be explained if they were more electro-magnetic in nature (which would explain their invisibility, shape-shifting, and aversion to iron) as the modern prevalence of elecro-magnetic radiation would be extremely harmful.

    Of course there are better explanations for all that than actual existence of fairies. And there's no real evidence for the existence of supernatural or electro-magnetic based beings. So we cannot reject the null hypothesis of "Fairies do not exist" and therefore cannot accept the hypothesis that they do.
    It all boils down to one simple demand.....show me the bones. Anything less than that is circumstantial and suspect at best. Everything which has ever existed or exists imprints evidence of it's being on the universe. Every beat of a heart leaves an indelible imprint on it's surroundings which changes the universe forever. Find it and I can begin to accept what caused it.
    "Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge."

    -Carl Sagan

  3. #2913
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,626

    Re: Atheism is a religion [W:1586,2242]

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBY View Post
    You are admitting you don't have the tools for your belief system.
    Christianity isn't a religion. It's a cult, which brainwashes its members into believing in supernatural deities in order to use the labor and resources of the members to prop up the leadership of the cult and grow the membership.

    Atheists attend no organized ceremonies or meetings to be indoctrinated and brainwashed. They pay no tithes or pledge personal resources or wealth to support an organization that's sole purpose is to proliferate it's membership in order to grow the wealth of the organization and its leaders.

    There is no mental resources spent to sustain an indoctrination that is often imposed on children so that they are prone to follow in the traditions of their parent(s) or guardians to continue to participate in a given indoctrination and brainwashing in order to perpetuate the cult.

    There's no investment, mental or otherwise, to extend one's efforts outside our empirical existence.

    When I see cartoon characters in movies that performed what would be considered as supernatural feats, I don't ponder the possibility that they are in fact supernatural beings.

    Reality is a wonderful thing. Try it sometime.
    “The final key to the way I promote is bravado,” Donald Trump wrote in his 1987 book, “The Art of the Deal.” “I play to people’s fantasies.”

  4. #2914
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19

    Re: Atheism is a religion [W:1586,2242]

    Quote Originally Posted by KokomoJojo View Post
    Here is a interesting read I found on atheism that exemplifies to some extent the root philosophy and 'substantial' meaning of the word.

    Here is how it works.

    People absorb the environment around them. From this environment they sort out what they 'believe' on everything.

    They sort what they believe as acceptable in one bin vs what they believe as unacceptable in another bin.

    What they believe is the controlling factor in what and how they 'conduct themselves' throughout life.

    Hence the substantial definition of religion is a 'belief that one acts upon'.

    This is centered upon how the mind works in and of itself, not the final product or outcome of the process, though the outcome proves the process.

    In other words if the final product is atheism or christian makes no difference, if a person governs themselves with regard to their beliefs no matter where derived it is when the will commits to action that it becomes officially 'their' religion.

    In both cases the mind went through the same fundamental process as described above.




    I struggled to think of the appropriate language that could be a work around to the premise and have not come up with any other construction that made sense. Despite who or what we are it boils down to a set of personal 'beliefs'.

    Everything we consciously process is a 'belief', whether those beliefs are true or false notwithstanding.

    In other words atheists 'believe' God does not exist. Use of the negative results in the same and is purely semantic.
    Hate to tell you but you are wrong. Religion is a belief based on irrationalism. Atheism is a believe based on reason. They are an 180 degree opposite. To a theist the existence of god is based on faith and exists whether rationally proven or not. To an atheist god can only exist if rationally proven and if proven they would give up their belief. For a theist to give up their belief in god would show a lack of faith and be a mortal sin. There isn't a credible theist alive who would give up their belief in god simply because someone had a rational proof that he didn't exist. This is why a religion is a religion and why atheism is not...to be a religion one must have complete faith...

  5. #2915
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    04-22-18 @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,394

    Re: Atheism is a religion [W:1586,2242]

    Quote Originally Posted by KokomoJojo View Post
    Here is a interesting read I found on atheism that exemplifies to some extent the root philosophy and 'substantial' meaning of the word.

    Here is how it works.

    People absorb the environment around them. From this environment they sort out what they 'believe' on everything.

    They sort what they believe as acceptable in one bin vs what they believe as unacceptable in another bin.

    What they believe is the controlling factor in what and how they 'conduct themselves' throughout life.

    Hence the substantial definition of religion is a 'belief that one acts upon'.

    This is centered upon how the mind works in and of itself, not the final product or outcome of the process, though the outcome proves the process.

    In other words if the final product is atheism or christian makes no difference, if a person governs themselves with regard to their beliefs no matter where derived it is when the will commits to action that it becomes officially 'their' religion.

    In both cases the mind went through the same fundamental process as described above.




    I struggled to think of the appropriate language that could be a work around to the premise and have not come up with any other construction that made sense. Despite who or what we are it boils down to a set of personal 'beliefs'.

    Everything we consciously process is a 'belief', whether those beliefs are true or false notwithstanding.

    In other words atheists 'believe' God does not exist. Use of the negative results in the same and is purely semantic.
    My atheism is not based on a system of firm beliefs. I don't have beliefs, I either know something through rational investigation or through the rational investigation of others. I accept interpretations in terms of probability, rather than firm belief one way or the other. Since I lack any unambiguous evidence for gods I think their probability is at this time extremely low. Since I have reams of confirming evidence in support of biological evolution, global warming and Big Bang cosmology I regard those explanations as correct to a level of high probability....The existence of the Higgs Boson to a confidence level of 3.5 million to 1.. for example.

    I do not behave based on religion or lack thereof. I behave based on what it is like to live in someone else's shoes and to do the least disruption to nature as possible.

    What I "believe" has nothing to do with it.
    "Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge."

    -Carl Sagan

  6. #2916
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Last Seen
    04-24-18 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    55

    Re: Atheism is a religion [W:1586,2242]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter3785 View Post
    Hate to tell you but you are wrong. Religion is a belief based on irrationalism. Atheism is a believe based on reason. They are an 180 degree opposite. To a theist the existence of god is based on faith and exists whether rationally proven or not. To an atheist god can only exist if rationally proven and if proven they would give up their belief. For a theist to give up their belief in god would show a lack of faith and be a mortal sin. There isn't a credible theist alive who would give up their belief in god simply because someone had a rational proof that he didn't exist. This is why a religion is a religion and why atheism is not...to be a religion one must have complete faith...
    In logic there is a fallacy known as an argument of ignorance. It is an attempt to prove a negative by use of lack of evidence. This is what your belief in atheism is using.

    A rational proof of a god or gods is not necessary. One may exist that you simply do not know about. This is true of any argument. Just because you don't see any evidence doesn't mean a thing doesn't exist.

    Philosophy has long debated what constitutes a religion and what constitutes science. One of the best philosophers in recent times was Karl Popper. His ability to put the knife edge through the difference is based on the reasoning that science must be made up of only falsifiable theories. Any other theory is essentially a circular argument. This is actually the way all theories begin. What takes them beyond the circular argument and is the ability to test for theory's null hypothesis. This also isolates science from the problems of phenomenology. Everyone observes according to their own unique model of the universe. This model is as unique to each of us as a fingerprint. Three people see the same sunrise, for example. One sees the effect of Earth's rotation. Another sees the Sun orbiting the Earth. Another sees the result of some god or gods hauling the Sun across the sky each day. Each feels their model is the one true model. This is what phenomenology is all about. It is why observation is not a good thing to base science upon. It is evidence only. Lack of evidence does not prove a negative.

    The circular argument by itself is not a fallacy in logic, it IS a fallacy to not recognize a circular argument for what it is. The other word for the circular argument is 'faith'.

    Faith is part of everything. It is part of science, it is part of religion, it is part of conducting your own life. It takes a certain amount of faith to take a new theory, for example, to the point of building a null hypothesis for it and testing it.

    I have found most atheists are just as religious as those they despise. There are rare cases where I have found an atheist taking the true meaning of the term. They happen to not believe in any god or gods, but they DO allow for the possibility of it. They don't try to prove it.

    It is not possible to prove or to disprove any god or gods. Any attempt to prove either way is an argument of faith, or a circular argument.

  7. #2917
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    442

    Re: Atheism is a religion [W:1586,2242]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter3785 View Post
    Hate to tell you but you are wrong. Religion is a belief based on irrationalism. Atheism is a believe based on reason. They are an 180 degree opposite. To a theist the existence of god is based on faith and exists whether rationally proven or not. To an atheist god can only exist if rationally proven and if proven they would give up their belief. For a theist to give up their belief in god would show a lack of faith and be a mortal sin. There isn't a credible theist alive who would give up their belief in god simply because someone had a rational proof that he didn't exist. This is why a religion is a religion and why atheism is not...to be a religion one must have complete faith...
    There are a few flaws with your arguments. Firstly, although most scientists are atheists, not all atheists are scientists. There are plenty of irrational atheists. Reason is not the common thread of atheism. The only thing required to be a card carrying atheist, is to deny the existence of God. This does not require the ability to reason. It only requires the ability to memorize and deny.

    The second flaw is as follows. Buddhism is one of the major world religions, yet Buddhists do not believe in deities. Buddhism shows that it is possible to be a religion, even without believing in a god or goddess. Atheism is a religion analogous to Buddhism; both lack belief in deities. The lack of belief in deities is what recruits the irrational to atheism. The main difference is Buddhism is based on the inner world of man; introspection, while the religion of Atheism is more about the outer world; extroversion and materialism. The Buddha left the atheist world of materialism and unconscious projection of his day, and found his own religion.

    Thirdly, which is connected to the second, scientists base their perception of reality on the philosophy of science. The philosophy of science is designed to only addresses the outer world. It does not fully address aspects of the inner world. For example, we have all dreams. Dreams are a natural output product of the human brain. However, since dreams tend to be unique to reach person, and unique is not reproducible in the lab, dreams are outside the philosophy of science. If I had a dream there is no way for science to prove the details of my dreams. Aspect of science that deal with dreams are called soft science since dreams, although common and real, are not reproducible.

    Buddhism deals with various outputs and inductions of the mind and brain, that are on the other side of the philosophy of science. This is why it is called as religion Yet it deals with real phenomena common to the human mind. A hardcore atheists who bases his perception of reality on only the philosophy of science, has to deny a large aspect of neural reality. This makes atheism irrational unless they consciously are aware of the limits of the philosophy of science. Enlightenment, which is a Buddhist term is connected to tapping into deepest aspects of the brain, that can only be accessed from within. Science can't go there, yet.
    Last edited by wellwisher; 04-02-18 at 07:11 AM.

  8. #2918
    Rule of Two
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,246

    Re: Atheism is a religion [W:1586,2242]

    Bald is a hair color.
    Water is juice minus the fruit.
    Acorns are trees.


    Sent from a memo written by Nunes and edited by Trump.
    Peace is a lie. There is only Passion. Through Passion I gain Strength. Through Strength I gain Power. Through Power I gain Victory. Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me.

  9. #2919
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,540

    Re: Atheism is a religion [W:1586,2242]

    Quote Originally Posted by wellwisher View Post
    There are a few flaws with your arguments. Firstly, although most scientists are atheists, not all atheists are scientists. There are plenty of irrational atheists. Reason is not the common thread of atheism. The only thing required to be a card carrying atheist, is to deny the existence of God. This does not require the ability to reason. It only requires the ability to memorize and deny.

    The second flaw is as follows. Buddhism is one of the major world religions, yet Buddhists do not believe in deities. Buddhism shows that it is possible to be a religion, even without believing in a god or goddess. Atheism is a religion analogous to Buddhism; both lack belief in deities. The lack of belief in deities is what recruits the irrational to atheism. The main difference is Buddhism is based on the inner world of man; introspection, while the religion of Atheism is more about the outer world; extroversion and materialism. The Buddha left the atheist world of materialism and unconscious projection of his day, and found his own religion.

    ...
    I think that leans more towards agnosticism. An atheist doesn't lack belief in deities, he believes there are none .
    I'm not going to chase you while you run around with the goalpost in your arms.

  10. #2920
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,476

    Re: Atheism is a religion [W:1586,2242]

    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    I think that leans more towards agnosticism. An atheist doesn't lack belief in deities, he believes there are none .
    Nope. The common definition among atheists is lack of belief.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •