Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
Results 381 to 390 of 390

Thread: [W:179]Trump, Who Slashed Taxes by $1.5 Trillion, Is Pushing Cuts to Food Stamps

  1. #381
    Sage

    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,562

    Re: Trump, Who Slashed Taxes by $1.5 Trillion, Is Pushing Cuts to Food Stamps

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    FFS what part of "I agree with your point" but that had nothing to do with my point did you not understand?

    This was my comment in response to you:



    To make it simple for you: I never disagreed with you but had my own separate point that did not contradict with yours only perhaps added to it. Why you see a need to attack me over it is beyond me. Perhaps you should take a break or something?
    This was your point...and I disagreed with it...which is allowed.

    My comment was in response to the poster that I was speaking too (not all expansive).

    I agree with your point. But my point was that the government should not dictate what the poor eat.
    Didn't you understand your own point...or did you forget this a public debate forum and not your private play pen?
    DEMOCRAT 2020

  2. #382
    Guru
    uptower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,870

    Re: [W:179]Trump, Who Slashed Taxes by $1.5 Trillion, Is Pushing Cuts to Food Stamps

    Yes the raw numbers of SNAP users show that a higher number of white people are SNAP beneficiaries, but the earlier data also demonstrated that a higher proportion of African Americans are on SNAP than the proportion of whites. Both can be true can't they? Depends which side we look from, SNAP demographics or demographics on SNAP. Either way it adversely affects communities of color.
    “Our president will start a war with Iran because he has absolutely no ability to negotiate. He's weak and he's ineffective. So the only way he figures that he's going to get reelected, and as sure as you're sitting there, is to start a war with Iran.” - Donald J. Trump

  3. #383
    Professor BahamaBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: [W:179]Trump, Who Slashed Taxes by $1.5 Trillion, Is Pushing Cuts to Food Stamps

    Quote Originally Posted by uptower View Post
    Yes the raw numbers of SNAP users show that a higher number of white people are SNAP beneficiaries, but the earlier data also demonstrated that a higher proportion of African Americans are on SNAP than the proportion of whites. Both can be true can't they? Depends which side we look from, SNAP demographics or demographics on SNAP. Either way it adversely affects communities of color.
    Studies show the use of the SNAP program adversely affect recipients. Their children are less healthy.

    Cindy Leung, a nutrition researcher at the University of California, San Francisco, found teen and adult food-stamp recipients had larger waists and higher levels of obesity than people who aren’t in the program, even when controlling for income.

    The reason for this is simple.

    And a USDA report published last year found that 20 cents of every SNAP dollar was spent on sweetened drinks, desserts, salty snacks, candy, and sugar.

  4. #384
    Post Political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    15,496

    Re: [W:179]Trump, Who Slashed Taxes by $1.5 Trillion, Is Pushing Cuts to Food Stamps

    Quote Originally Posted by BahamaBob View Post
    Studies show the use of the SNAP program adversely affect recipients. Their children are less healthy.

    Cindy Leung, a nutrition researcher at the University of California, San Francisco, found teen and adult food-stamp recipients had larger waists and higher levels of obesity than people who aren’t in the program, even when controlling for income.

    The reason for this is simple.

    And a USDA report published last year found that 20 cents of every SNAP dollar was spent on sweetened drinks, desserts, salty snacks, candy, and sugar.
    Strange here is Cindy Leung saying the opposite of what you claimed.

    Restricting SNAP Benefits Could Hurt Millions of Americans – and Local Communities


    "We are nutrition and food policy researchers who have studied the effects of SNAP on the health and well-being of low-income Americans. Should this change go into effect, we believe millions of Americans, especially children, and local communities would suffer."

    "Federal research has found that the program reduces hunger, particularly in children -- who make up 44% of its beneficiaries."

    ""People who are struggling are already demoralized," a New Mexico woman who uses SNAP benefits told us. "Being able to make our own food decisions is something that keeps us feeling like human beings."

    "Since the economy is doing well overall, the number of people on food assistance programs has fallen. The reason for the decline is that the number of people who are eligible for these benefits rises when the economy falters and falls when conditions improve. As a result, the government is spending less on food stamps without cutting the SNAP budget.

    Case in point, 7 million people have already left SNAP due to better economic stability. In parallel, federal spending on SNAP budget has dropped from $78 billion in 2013 to $64 billion in 2019."
    "There is nothing I dread So much, as a Division of the Republick into two great Parties, each arranged under its Leader, and concerting Measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble Apprehension is to be dreaded as the greatest political Evil, under our Constitution." - John Adams

  5. #385
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    37,019

    Re: [W:179]Trump, Who Slashed Taxes by $1.5 Trillion, Is Pushing Cuts to Food Stamps

    Quote Originally Posted by uptower View Post
    Yes the raw numbers of SNAP users show that a higher number of white people are SNAP beneficiaries, but the earlier data also demonstrated that a higher proportion of African Americans are on SNAP than the proportion of whites. Both can be true can't they? Depends which side we look from, SNAP demographics or demographics on SNAP. Either way it adversely affects communities of color.
    Maybe instead of focusing on trying to balance the metrics to the color, you should focus on methods to improve the lives of black people?

    The statistics do in fact show a greater percentage of blacks are lower income that the percentage of whites.

    Are you suggesting we go back to illegal quota based affirmative action?
    The left says the right is full of racists and bigots and have no tolerance. Nobody from the right organizes interference with gay pride parades, or other leftist events. The left however always has a group interfering with events organized by the right. Who are the tolerant ones I ask? Most certainly not the left.

  6. #386
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    37,019

    Re: [W:179]Trump, Who Slashed Taxes by $1.5 Trillion, Is Pushing Cuts to Food Stamps

    Quote Originally Posted by BahamaBob View Post
    Studies show the use of the SNAP program adversely affect recipients. Their children are less healthy.

    Cindy Leung, a nutrition researcher at the University of California, San Francisco, found teen and adult food-stamp recipients had larger waists and higher levels of obesity than people who aren’t in the program, even when controlling for income.

    The reason for this is simple.

    And a USDA report published last year found that 20 cents of every SNAP dollar was spent on sweetened drinks, desserts, salty snacks, candy, and sugar.
    I will disagree that it has anything to do with the SNAP program, but rather, the reason to be on SNAP.

    In my opinion, it's not the SNAP benefits that cause adverse health in children. It's how responsible the parents are in what they purchase.

    We would probably see connection in responsibility to employment statistics too... People with more responsibility I bet are less likely to be on SNAP, and more likely to give their children proper diets.

    Hence, the statistics you provide.
    The left says the right is full of racists and bigots and have no tolerance. Nobody from the right organizes interference with gay pride parades, or other leftist events. The left however always has a group interfering with events organized by the right. Who are the tolerant ones I ask? Most certainly not the left.

  7. #387
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    18,410

    Re: Trump, Who Slashed Taxes by $1.5 Trillion, Is Pushing Cuts to Food Stamps

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    That's what is suppose to happen. Cut taxes, slash spending.
    Cutting taxes was not matched to spending cuts. It is being financed by the People for the benefit of the Richest.

  8. #388
    Guru
    uptower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,870

    Re: [W:179]Trump, Who Slashed Taxes by $1.5 Trillion, Is Pushing Cuts to Food Stamps

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Maybe instead of focusing on trying to balance the metrics to the color, you should focus on methods to improve the lives of black people?

    The statistics do in fact show a greater percentage of blacks are lower income that the percentage of whites.

    Are you suggesting we go back to illegal quota based affirmative action?
    No I would have said that if it was what I was suggesting. I'm direct like that.

    Yes there is a lot that can be done to improve the lives of people of color and the poor in general. Slashing benefits is just a quick way to get money back after giving tax cuts to the rich, however and not so easily sold as a 'pull up your bootstraps' scheme.

    It's also moving the goalpost to ask when I criticize one policy I don't like it is my responsible to think of "what else out there" could be done to solve the problems of people who've had their benefits cut. The alternative is simple in this case. Don't do it.
    Last edited by uptower; 12-11-19 at 03:47 PM.
    “Our president will start a war with Iran because he has absolutely no ability to negotiate. He's weak and he's ineffective. So the only way he figures that he's going to get reelected, and as sure as you're sitting there, is to start a war with Iran.” - Donald J. Trump

  9. #389
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    37,019

    Re: [W:179]Trump, Who Slashed Taxes by $1.5 Trillion, Is Pushing Cuts to Food Stamps

    Quote Originally Posted by uptower View Post
    No I would have said that if it was what I was suggesting. I'm direct like that.

    Yes there is a lot that can be done to improve the lives of people of color and the poor in general. Slashing benefits is just a quick way to get money back after giving tax cuts to the rich, however and not so easily sold as a 'pull up your bootstraps' scheme.

    It's also moving the goalpost to ask when I criticize one policy I don't like it is my responsible to think of "what else out there" could be done to solve the problems of people who've had their benefits cut. The alternative is simple in this case. Don't do it.
    Color shouldn't be an issue when it comes to the distribution of SNAP.

    Why are people race baiting?
    The left says the right is full of racists and bigots and have no tolerance. Nobody from the right organizes interference with gay pride parades, or other leftist events. The left however always has a group interfering with events organized by the right. Who are the tolerant ones I ask? Most certainly not the left.

  10. #390
    Professor BahamaBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: [W:179]Trump, Who Slashed Taxes by $1.5 Trillion, Is Pushing Cuts to Food Stamps

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I will disagree that it has anything to do with the SNAP program, but rather, the reason to be on SNAP.

    In my opinion, it's not the SNAP benefits that cause adverse health in children. It's how responsible the parents are in what they purchase.

    We would probably see connection in responsibility to employment statistics too... People with more responsibility I bet are less likely to be on SNAP, and more likely to give their children proper diets.

    Hence, the statistics you provide.
    I agree with that to a point. Recipients should not be able to spend 20% of this benefit on "sweetened drinks, desserts, salty snacks, candy, and sugar". If a government program is causing unintended consequences, changes need to be made to alter that.

    Over 40% of these people are obese. Obesity leads to health problems and hampers the ability to find work. I can't support any program that promotes obesity.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •