Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 126

Thread: Midterm Migraines for the Democrats

  1. #111
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    19,211

    Re: Midterm Migraines for the Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    Republicans have been in control of Congress since 2015. Since that time, Obama was the Obstructionist.
    Funny how that tracks with the moment that jobs started to recover, eh? It's almost as if the business community was glad to see Obama's policies put in check...
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  2. #112
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    19,211

    Re: Midterm Migraines for the Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    What Dems can't seem to understand is that 75% of the country is rolling its eyes every time they hear "Russia".

    Well, even SNL has bailed on the Russia narrative at this point, so it will be interesting to see how long the true believers can hold on to this conspiracy theory. Within the year the Russian collusion threads will start moving to the Conspiracy sub forum.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  3. #113
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    08-17-18 @ 11:31 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,854

    Re: Midterm Migraines for the Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Well, even SNL has bailed on the Russia narrative at this point, so it will be interesting to see how long the true believers can hold on to this conspiracy theory. Within the year the Russian collusion threads will start moving to the Conspiracy sub forum.
    Can you imagine how the documentaries will paint today's media 30 years from now?

    "When Journalism Committed Suicide"

  4. #114
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    19,211

    Re: Midterm Migraines for the Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    ...is that the Democrats didn't adequately communicate to you that the Medicaid expansion, net neutrality, DACA/the Dream Act, and so on are things they passed/implemented and have championed for the past decade?
    It's always a messaging problem with Democrats when they lose.

    The problem that the Democrats are facing is that they have run out of actual immediate problems to flog, and now exist entirely on fear-mongering potential future problems. The average voter no longer experiences the problems for which the Democrats are selling solutions. Many have felt the bite of Democrat solutions more than have benefited from them. The trouble there, especially in the Presidential elections, is that Trump's policies have benefited blue collar families immediately and directly, and no amount of "messaging" can convince them to see something other than that reality.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  5. #115
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    19,211

    Re: Midterm Migraines for the Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Can you imagine how the documentaries will paint today's media 30 years from now?

    "When Journalism Committed Suicide"
    We'll see. Many progressive news outlets have become the darlings on billionaire financiers, so they won't die, but it remains to be seen whether money can buy readership.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  6. #116
    Guru
    FieldTheorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Seen
    08-10-18 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,115

    Re: Midterm Migraines for the Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post


    Referenced Article: https://www.axios.com/midterm-migrai...b98847614.html



    With the utter failure to defend DACA, and in general do much substantive at pushing back against the Republicans (the usual empty platitudes and soundbites don't count), this doesn't surprise me at all.

    Democrats need to understand, now more than ever, in the wake of Clinton's loss and their own research as above, that nothing is guaranteed and the unpopularity of Trump and the Republicans do not by any means equate to an automatic win; instead of coasting almost exclusively on Russiagate and the public's enmity towards Don, they need to set an agenda that coincides with the wants and needs of the American public over party donors, and cannot simply be a monotone obsession with identity politics or immigration.
    At some level it just doesn't matter. The power broker's in the Democratic party are no longer the Democratic party operatives. The DNC is hurting for money, the DCCC is hurting for money outside of a few billionaire's contributions, and the energy and fervor against Trump has gone almost entirely not to their causes. It's gone to largely to individual Democratic candidates and to parallel, non-DC-based groups like MoveOn.org, Our Revolution, Justice Democrats, etc for the Left and then to news groups and moderate Democratic groups (e.g. ThinkProgress) on the center-Left/center-Right. But the traditional Democratic party apparatus and their influence over elections? It will be minimal. The Democratic party got off scot free in 2016 and 2017, but 2018 looks like it'll be their time to pay.

    So the fact that the Democratic party operatives are hated isn't necessarily telling anyone anything about how the midterms will proceed.
    "The question is whether privileged elites should dominate mass-communication and should use this power, as they tell us they must [to] manipulate and deceive the 'stupid majority', and remove them from the public arena. The question, in brief, is whether Democracy and Freedom are values to be preserved or threats to be avoided." --Chomsky

  7. #117
    Guru

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:18 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,140

    Re: Midterm Migraines for the Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    It's always a messaging problem with Democrats when they lose.

    The problem that the Democrats are facing is that they have run out of actual immediate problems to flog, and now exist entirely on fear-mongering potential future problems. The average voter no longer experiences the problems for which the Democrats are selling solutions. Many have felt the bite of Democrat solutions more than have benefited from them. The trouble there, especially in the Presidential elections, is that Trump's policies have benefited blue collar families immediately and directly, and no amount of "messaging" can convince them to see something other than that reality.
    There are _plenty_ of problems left to flog, many of which Trump and his adjuncts have newly created, but I agree that Dems, to their disservice, have been almost exclusively focused on Trump via Russia, Stormy Daniels and other factors that most people increasingly don't give a **** about, rather than drafting and communicating policy about said problems. There is clearly a problem with messaging if the party's own focus groups not only can't seem to identify its agenda, but outright assert it lacks one.

    As to Trump's policies, if they were truly so beneficial to so many, his approval ratings and that of the Republican party more broadly wouldn't be gargling water at Atlantian depths. To be fair, the Dems aren't much better off; people are simply sick of a broken, bought government that doesn't deliver the solutions they want.

    Quote Originally Posted by FieldTheorist View Post
    At some level it just doesn't matter. The power broker's in the Democratic party are no longer the Democratic party operatives. The DNC is hurting for money, the DCCC is hurting for money outside of a few billionaire's contributions, and the energy and fervor against Trump has gone almost entirely not to their causes. It's gone to largely to individual Democratic candidates and to parallel, non-DC-based groups like MoveOn.org, Our Revolution, Justice Democrats, etc for the Left and then to news groups and moderate Democratic groups (e.g. ThinkProgress) on the center-Left/center-Right. But the traditional Democratic party apparatus and their influence over elections? It will be minimal. The Democratic party got off scot free in 2016 and 2017, but 2018 looks like it'll be their time to pay.

    So the fact that the Democratic party operatives are hated isn't necessarily telling anyone anything about how the midterms will proceed.
    Absolutely. My point is more that the party and many of its adjuncts are leaving money on the table and failing to maximize their odds of midterm success by focusing singly on outing Trump and related stories/narratives over policies that people actually and broadly support.
    Last edited by Surrealistik; 03-13-18 at 02:11 PM.
    "The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it." -Alberto Brandolini

  8. #118
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    08-17-18 @ 11:31 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,854

    Re: Midterm Migraines for the Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    We'll see. Many progressive news outlets have become the darlings on billionaire financiers, so they won't die, but it remains to be seen whether money can buy readership.
    We now have a media that has literally no credibility. Nobody believes anything they report. It is dead, no matter how much money billionaires float its way.

    CNN has attacked Trump 24/7 since the day he won. Every day, without pause.

    People see this. They watch it like a variety show these days, and they tune out everything said as fiction to entertain. Nothing more.

  9. #119
    Guru Saladin4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Blue State America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,945

    Re: Midterm Migraines for the Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    We now have a media that has literally no credibility. Nobody believes anything they report. It is dead, no matter how much money billionaires float its way.

    CNN has attacked Trump 24/7 since the day he won. Every day, without pause.

    People see this. They watch it like a variety show these days, and they tune out everything said as fiction to entertain. Nothing more.
    Yes.....Does anybody believe those idiots at Fox?...No credibility hardly covers it
    Power concedes Nothing without a Demand it never has and Never Will

  10. #120
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,691

    Re: Midterm Migraines for the Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    It's not simply that there's no concrete policies for Democrats to point to, it's that there's nothing; there's not even really an outline or silhouette.

    Further, Trump bashing and Russiagate are honest to god being adopted as the cornerstone or solitary focus of many Dem platforms/strategies which is a proven failure.

    It's simply not enough for the other guy to be bad; you must also have something to offer. The sooner Dems collectively learn this, the better.
    I think that is a historically accurate assessment but the current reality that it no longer applies is evident by who is currently sitting in the White House. Being anti Obama, anti Clinton, and Anti Establishment was sufficient for the GOP. There is no reason to assume Dems need anymore clear an agenda when we can see how Trump has campaigned and governed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •