Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: GOP retreat from Moore intensifies

  1. #1
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,613

    GOP retreat from Moore intensifies

    I would not label the Republicans named in this article, "wishy-washy, pseudo-conservatives"

    GOP retreat from Moore intensifies
    BY MALLORY SHELBOURNE - 11/12/17 01:30 PM EST

    Republicans over the weekend continued to distance themselves from Alabama Senate nominee Roy Moore (R) after a report alleged that in 1979 he engaged in sexual contact with a 14-year old girl as a 32-year old.

    A number of GOP senators including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), in the four days since the allegations were revealed, have said Moore should step aside from the race if the accusations are true. On Sunday, multiple Republican lawmakers suggested it would be "best" if Moore went ahead and stepped aside.

    Two Republican senators on Sunday said that the allegations against Moore appeared stronger than his denials.

    The future of the Senate race remains unclear as some lawmakers push for a potential write-in campaign.

    Republican Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) on Saturday went so far as to pull his endorsement of Moore, who is running for the seat vacated by Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

    “Based on the allegations against Roy Moore, his response and what is known, I withdraw support,” Cassidy said Saturday night.

    Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Steve Daines (R-Mont.) had already revoked their endorsements of Moore on Friday.

    Two other Republicans, Sens. Tim Scott (S.C.) and Pat Toomey (Pa.), argued Sunday that the allegations levied against Moore in The Washington Post are stronger than his denial.
    Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.) also had a few words, in tweets
    #RoyMoore disqualified himself for the Senate prior to these recent revelations due to his disregard for constitutional limits. These disturbing allegations of misconduct further reinforce my belief of how unfit Mr. Moore is to serve in the Senate. 1/2

    I did not support #RoyMoore when he won the #Republican nomination and now he must be replaced on the ballot.

    The Party of #AbrahamLincoln will not be able to remove the #stain of Roy Moore if he remains the Republican Party's #standardbearer in the #AlabamaSenateRace. 2/2
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #2

    Re: GOP retreat from Moore intensifies

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    I would not label the Republicans named in this article, "wishy-washy, pseudo-conservatives"



    Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.) also had a few words, in tweets
    If the accusations are true he should of been charged a long time ago.

    Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,937

    Re: GOP retreat from Moore intensifies

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    I would not label the Republicans named in this article, "wishy-washy, pseudo-conservatives"



    Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.) also had a few words, in tweets
    A new accuser came forward today, alleging Moore molested her and tied to force her into oral sex, when she was 16yo. She hired an attorney, and wants to testify under oath before the Senate Judiciary. She also has a yearbook claiming he left a signed note in it while woo'ing her for a date, referencing the restaurant where the attack later took place in his parked car behind the restaurant.

    This last accusation seems to raise the level seriously, because the alleged victim sought the lawyer and is going on the attack.

    He may or may not survive the local election, though I think it will start to turn against him due to increased voter turnout in opposition to him similar to what we recently saw in VA against Trump, but regardless of Alabama I no longer think Moore will survive the Republican National Party or Senatorial process.
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  4. #4
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,937

    Re: GOP retreat from Moore intensifies

    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If the accusations are true he should of been charged a long time ago.

    Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Absolutely, but unfortunately that's impossible. However, it still is possible to make him pay the price socially & politically, and perhaps even financially through civil suit.

    What makes this possibly even more heinous, is the kid claims Moore used the power of his position to hold her in check:

    She said she began to cry and beg him to stop and that eventually he did relent before telling her not to speak.
    "At some point he gave up, and he then looked at me," Nelson said. "He said, 'You're just a child,' and he said, 'I am the district attorney of Etowah County and if you tell anyone about this, no one will ever believe you.'"
    Source: Woman accuses Moore of sexually assaulting her at 16
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  5. #5
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,319

    Re: GOP retreat from Moore intensifies

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Absolutely, but unfortunately that's impossible. However, it still is possible to make him pay the price socially & politically, and perhaps even financially through civil suit.

    What makes this possibly even more heinous, is the kid claims Moore used the power of his position to hold her in check:



    Source: Woman accuses Moore of sexually assaulting her at 16
    "Terrible human being turns out to be terrible human being in other, even worse ways. News at 11."
    Last edited by Cardinal; 11-13-17 at 09:19 PM.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,937

    Re: GOP retreat from Moore intensifies

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    "Terrible human being turns out to be terrible human beings in other, even worse ways. News at 11."
    Alabama has got to be one of the most maligned states in the union, and they aren't doing themselves any good here now either.

    They just can't seem to crawl out from the shadow of George Wallace, even a half century later!
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  7. #7

    Re: GOP retreat from Moore intensifies

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Absolutely, but unfortunately that's impossible. However, it still is possible to make him pay the price socially & politically, and perhaps even financially through civil suit.

    What makes this possibly even more heinous, is the kid claims Moore used the power of his position to hold her in check:



    Source: Woman accuses Moore of sexually assaulting her at 16
    Yes that is her version and she may be telling the truth or believe it that way but we have no idea is her account is accurate or not. Your ready to convict the guy without proof.

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,937

    Re: GOP retreat from Moore intensifies

    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    Yes that is her version and she may be telling the truth or believe it that way but we have no idea is her account is accurate or not. Your ready to convict the guy without proof.

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    To "convict" is the domain of a court of law.

    I've formed an opinion of him based upon the evidence at hand, and drawing from my life experiences.
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  9. #9
    A Little Bitter

    Mr Person's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,665

    Re: GOP retreat from Moore intensifies

    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    Yes that is her version and she may be telling the truth or believe it that way but we have no idea is her account is accurate or not. Your ready to convict the guy without proof.
    Testimony is proof. In many cases, it's the crucial evidence needed for conviction.


    Reread what Chomsky said:


    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    A new accuser came forward today, alleging Moore molested her and tied to force her into oral sex, when she was 16yo. She hired an attorney, and wants to testify under oath before the Senate Judiciary. She also has a yearbook claiming he left a signed note in it while woo'ing her for a date, referencing the restaurant where the attack later took place in his parked car behind the restaurant.

    This last accusation seems to raise the level seriously, because the alleged victim sought the lawyer and is going on the attack.

    He may or may not survive the local election, though I think it will start to turn against him due to increased voter turnout in opposition to him similar to what we recently saw in VA against Trump, but regardless of Alabama I no longer think Moore will survive the Republican National Party or Senatorial process.


    Guess what: she won't do so well testifying if she tries to contradict anything she says now.

  10. #10

    Re: GOP retreat from Moore intensifies

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    To "convict" is the domain of a court of law.

    I've formed an opinion of him based upon the evidence at hand, and drawing from my life experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Person View Post
    Testimony is proof. In many cases, it's the crucial evidence needed for conviction.


    Reread what Chomsky said:






    Guess what: she won't do so well testifying if she tries to contradict anything she says now.
    All im saying is that i dont think you would be so fast to pass judgement of moore was democrat

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •