Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 262

Thread: Trump to 'sign executive order about social media

  1. #21
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    61,172

    Re: Trump to 'sign executive order about social media

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTex View Post
    Does this standard just apply to whether the content flagged is "non-factual"? Does a platform have to allow hate speech? What about obscenity?
    Why you must resort to creating a straw man? The content in question was not deemed to have been hate speech or obscene. The issue is that once user content is edited (labeled as either factual or non-factual) by the platform (editorial?) staff then it is no longer an "open platform" and should become legally responsible for all of its published content just like other mass media sources.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #22
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Last Seen
    07-09-20 @ 09:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    753

    Re: Trump to 'sign executive order about social media

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Why you must resort to creating a straw man? The content in question was not deemed to have been hate speech or obscene. The issue is that once user content is edited (labeled as either factual or non-factual) by the platform (editorial?) staff then it is no longer an "open platform" and should become legally responsible for all of its published content just like other mass media sources.
    It's their responsibility, at the very least, to do it for politicians who use their platform to spread lies and misinformation.

  3. #23
    Sage

    BlueTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    6,560

    Re: Trump to 'sign executive order about social media

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Why you must resort to creating a straw man? The content in question was not deemed to have been hate speech or obscene. The issue is that once user content is edited (labeled as either factual or non-factual) by the platform (editorial?) staff then it is no longer an "open platform" and should become legally responsible for all of its published content just like other mass media sources.
    You keep saying should become legally responsible.... Now tell us what the law actually says, not how you "think" it should work..

  4. #24
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,403

    Re: Trump to 'sign executive order about social media

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    It's not a freedom of speech issue - the issue is whether they should continue to be offered special legal protection based on being an "open platform". Once some content gets flagged as being "non-factual" then the platform should become responsible for all of its content.
    I've asked this question before, back when Facebook went with the policy of allowing disinformation (arguably showing favoritism towards political advertisement.)

    Who becomes the fact checker authority?

    It applies to this discussion presumably because Twitter is going to only flag certain tweets that are both political in nature and questionable in facts. But someone is making that choice, I highly doubt this will end up being pragmatically done but based on who is making the tweet, something related to the responses, and a reporting mechanism.

    Regardless we still face the same problem, political polarization means those leaning left will flag right leaning sourced tweets and the exact opposite for right leaning responses.

    If we leave this to governance the mess amplifies.

    From a legal standpoint we may end up seeing Twitter flag all posts along these lines which could result in less tweets, less advertisements, etc.
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid." - Penn Jillette.

  5. #25
    Guru
    eman623's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,309

    Re: Trump to 'sign executive order about social media

    So if I tweet that "Trump is a Nazi!", will Twitter add a note saying there's no evidence Trump has even been a member of the National Socialist Party of 1930-s Germany and has not to date ever annexed the Sudatenland? Or will they only target conservative leaning politicians and tweets?

    Dear Twitter - Either you are a publisher or a content provider. Choose one.
    "You are free and that is why you are lost." - Franz Kafka

  6. #26
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    20,157

    Re: Trump to 'sign executive order about social media

    Wonder how long President Trump could go without Twitter? How would he get his rants out.

    I have to admit I don't follow his "tweets" except when it is brought up in the news or here on DP. President Trump does seem to get facts wrong on issues he does not agree with. Like mail in voting. So I would not miss his "tweets". Let the site go silent for awhile. See how he likes it.
    "
    If we have data, let's look at the data. if all we have is opinions let's go with mine
    -barksdale
    "

  7. #27
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Last Seen
    07-09-20 @ 09:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    753

    Re: Trump to 'sign executive order about social media

    Quote Originally Posted by eman623 View Post
    So if I tweet that "Trump is a Nazi!", will Twitter add a note saying there's no evidence Trump has even been a member of the National Socialist Party of 1930-s Germany and has not to date ever annexed the Sudatenland? Or will they only target conservative leaning politicians and tweets?

    Dear Twitter - Either you are a publisher or a content provider. Choose one.
    If another politician, let's say Biden, were to post something so ridiculous, then yes, absolutely -- I'm convinced Twitter would add a notice for readers not to accept that tweet as fact.

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Flori-duh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,654

    Re: Trump to 'sign executive order about social media

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Why you must resort to creating a straw man? The content in question was not deemed to have been hate speech or obscene. The issue is that once user content is edited (labeled as either factual or non-factual) by the platform (editorial?) staff then it is no longer an "open platform" and should become legally responsible for all of its published content just like other mass media sources.
    Am I understanding you correctly? If I get on twitter and start spreading lies like, "I heard trump has the clap" and twitter steps in and says, check this for factual accuracy, twitter should now be responsible for everything on its site? So basically your argument is spreading lies is ok, saying check for factual accuracy isn't. You are arguing these platforms should be used for propaganda and lies and it's up to the user to find the truth. What a warped way of protecting the first amendment.

  9. #29
    Guru
    eman623's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,309

    Re: Trump to 'sign executive order about social media

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Falcon View Post
    If another politician, let's say Biden, were to post something so ridiculous, then yes, absolutely -- I'm convinced Twitter would add a notice for readers not to accept that tweet as fact.
    We will see.
    "You are free and that is why you are lost." - Franz Kafka

  10. #30
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Last Seen
    07-09-20 @ 09:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    753

    Re: Trump to 'sign executive order about social media

    Quote Originally Posted by eman623 View Post
    We will see.
    Hopefully we won't.

    For now, only Trump is stupid and reckless enough to post such garbage.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •