Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 341

Thread: Judge denies Roger Stone's motion to disqualify her

  1. #291
    Iconoclast


    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    12,710

    Re: Judge denies Roger Stone's motion to disqualify her

    Quote Originally Posted by TU Curmudgeon View Post
    Since Mr. Stone is 100% innocent
    The jurors disagree.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ebc_story.html

    I was a juror in Roger Stone’s trial. I am proud of how we came to our decision.

    Since we delivered that verdict, I have been taken aback by the accounts of pundits and politicians that our decision was somehow the product of a deeply polarized, partisan divide. Let me be clear: We did not convict Stone based on his political beliefs or his expression of those beliefs. We did not convict him of being intemperate or acting boorishly. We convicted him of obstructing a congressional investigation, of lying in five specific ways during his sworn congressional testimony and of tampering with a witness in that investigation.

    The evidence in this case was substantial and almost entirely uncontested. Stone’s testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence in September 2017 was a matter of record; both the prosecution and defense agreed on the facts. The real dispute was whether Stone had lied under oath and whether that mattered. The defense offered by Stone’s attorney can be summed up in to two words: So what?

    Our unanimous conclusion was this: The truth matters. Telling the truth under oath matters. At a time when so much of our public discourse is based on deception or just lies, it is more important than ever that we still have places where the truth can be presented, examined and discerned. Congress is one of those places. That’s what the case was about.

    I believe I speak for my fellow jurors when I say we are proud of our decision. We listened carefully to the testimony of a series of witnesses and carefully examined every element of every charge and its defense, and we unanimously agreed that each had been proved beyond a reasonable doubt. We came close to rejecting one charge that we believed was written ambiguously; our question was whether Stone had actually made a particular statement. In the end, we were convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that Stone had in fact made that statement. Almost half of our day-long deliberation was devoted to this single question.
    .
    “He’s [Chinese President Xi Jinping] now president for life. President for life. And he’s great,” Trump said. “I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll give that a shot someday.” ---Donald J. Trump

  2. #292
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    28,290

    Re: Judge denies Roger Stone's motion to disqualify her

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealers Wheel View Post
    Did she lie when filling out the questionnaire? The facts available say she didn't.

    Did she answer truthfully all questions put to her during the voir dire? The available evidence says she did.

    Did she carefully consider all the evidence presented during deliberations and before rendering a verdict? The available evidence, including the words of other jurors, says she did.

    Did she (and all the other jurors) fulfill their civic duty while on jury duty? The available evidence says they did.

    Now, after the verdict people are 'suggesting' she may not have been impartial, based on her social media words prior to the trial. They cannot point to a single shred of evidence that she did not behave appropriately while she was on jury duty.

    She was accepted by the defense before and during the trial.

    If they think something about her is grounds for appeal, they are entitled to present their evidence and arguments in appellate court. That is the way the system works.
    Spoiler alert---that's all I'm arguing and I have been getting pushback for pages and pages.

  3. #293
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    28,290

    Re: Judge denies Roger Stone's motion to disqualify her

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctorWasIn View Post
    If Stone's lawyers had googled her name, they'd have known about all of her social media posts.

    (I'm giving you a hint as to what the narrative will become. Puzzle!)
    I'm giving you a hint as to how little of a **** I give about your opinion. Not a puzzle!

  4. #294
    Student Plasmaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:04 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    284

    Re: Judge denies Roger Stone's motion to disqualify her

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    So. That was the first step. Now Stone can appeal this ruling to a higher court.

    Also, if I remember correctly, that Judge also has to take up the issue about that juror. That was shelved by Jackson until after she passed sentence. I'm thinking that'll be another one that is appealed.

    And yes...Trump will just sit back, bide his time...and when/if it becomes necessary, he'll pardon Stone.

    Sorry about that, Trump haters.
    You mean people who dont defend criminals..all the rule of law does in the gop are gone.

  5. #295
    Sage
    ClaraD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Hartsel,Colorado
    Last Seen
    04-04-20 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,213

    Re: Judge denies Roger Stone's motion to disqualify her

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    this will be appealed. this is a conflict of interest. there was a democrat legal analyst that said she ruined the case with her political rhetoric.

    yes the deep state hates trump it has been proven.
    So all 12 members of the jury were Democratic operatives?

  6. #296
    Sage
    ClaraD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Hartsel,Colorado
    Last Seen
    04-04-20 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,213

    Re: Judge denies Roger Stone's motion to disqualify her

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlook View Post
    Stone should get a new trial.
    First of all, the jury foreperson was biased. That should be enough for a new trial.
    Stone’s attorney should request a new venue.
    Secondly when the judge said Stone was involved in a cover up, doesn’t sound like she is nonpartisan.
    Every citizen in the US is biased politically...that alone isn't a disqualification

  7. #297
    global liberation


    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    106,626

    Re: Judge denies Roger Stone's motion to disqualify her

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    I'm giving you a hint as to how little of a **** I give about your opinion. Not a puzzle!
    How absurd.

  8. #298
    Sage



    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,558

    Re: Judge denies Roger Stone's motion to disqualify her

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    I refuse to read the far left bloggers at Business insider
    You say that like anyone cares.
    "The ship of democracy, which has weathered all storms, may sink through the mutiny of those on board." -- Grover Cleveland

  9. #299
    Professor
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,261

    Re: Judge denies Roger Stone's motion to disqualify her

    Quote Originally Posted by ClaraD View Post
    Every citizen in the US is biased politically...that alone isn't a disqualification
    It can be enough to disqualify someone.
    A juror has to be impartial. Jurors and judges need to keep their political beliefs or other biases against either party to themselves.

    If the juror in question hadn’t posted negative statements about Stone prior to her jury selection, it wouldn’t have been an issue. Once that fact came out her actions raised a question of impartiality.

  10. #300
    Sage
    j brown's body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    5,443

    Re: Judge denies Roger Stone's motion to disqualify her

    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Kid View Post
    Given the comments Judge Jackson made today Stone would be wise to have his affairs in order before the judge renders her decision. Stone's lawyers also admitted that they didn't Google the juror in question. Seems to me that he should've sought to disqualify his legal team rather than the judge.
    Oh I dunno. If he had disqualified her, the right-wing couldn't complain about here and defend this convicted felon.

Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •