Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 391

Thread: Republicans issue 123-page defense of Trump ahead of Democrats’ impeachment report

  1. #21
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,352

    Re: Republicans issue 123-page defense of Trump ahead of Democrats’ impeachment report

    I have no issue with Republicans issuing a defense, but we should all be concerned over how they present "evidence" that are really just talking points.

    Not much effort was made to directly combat the testimony of key witnesses, and in some respects Republicans dance around several false narratives that benefit Russia. Just suggesting this is all a plot by Democrats to nullify the 2016 election results seems more desperation than anything else.
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid." - Penn Jillette.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,975

    Re: Republicans issue 123-page defense of Trump ahead of Democrats’ impeachment report

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    It is disingenuous that none of you have read what has been drafted but already know its bad in whatever way.
    I mean, it's not hard to find it...

    https://republicans-oversight.house....sentatives.pdf

    It also contains this absolute gem: "The evidence shows that President Trump holds a deep-seated, genuine, and reasonable skepticism of Ukraine due to its history of pervasive corruption."

    C'mon, that is just absolutely laughable. If the President of the United States genuinely thought Ukraine was corrupt, why would he ask them to investigate a United States citizen? How unbelievably stupid is that logic and how unbelievably stupid does one have to be to actually believe that?


    The Republican defense of Trump in this document is intended for idiots and true believers. It's not intended to be taken seriously by anyone with a modicum of independent intelligence.


    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    I have no issue with Republicans issuing a defense, but we should all be concerned over how they present "evidence" that are really just talking points.

    Not much effort was made to directly combat the testimony of key witnesses, and in some respects Republicans dance around several false narratives that benefit Russia. Just suggesting this is all a plot by Democrats to nullify the 2016 election results seems more desperation than anything else.
    It's all they have. They have no real exculpatory evidence. Everyone knows what happened, everyone knows why it happened, but Republicans are simply giving Republican voters (and more importantly Republican Congressmen) cover to ignore all of that to play team politics.

    At this point, Republicans are literally putting the good of their party over what is right for the country because they care more about power (whether it is individual power as Congressmen or team power as Republicans matters not) than they do about doing what is right for the country.
    Last edited by Slyfox696; 12-03-19 at 09:11 AM.

  3. #23
    Sage



    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,305

    Re: Republicans issue 123-page defense of Trump ahead of Democrats’ impeachment report

    Quote Originally Posted by 3leftsdoo View Post
    Democrat Party = Criminally insane danger to Country & Constitution

    Republican Party = All that stands between the Democrat Party & the destruction of our society

    Devin Nunes = True patriot
    Is that why Republicans have adopted Russian disinformation that the Ukraine, not Russia, interfered in the 2016 election -- because Republicans are such defenders of democracy?

    Both Trump and his sycophants in Congress have latched onto the conspiracy theory that Russia DID NOT HACK the DNC, and instead hacked itself to frame Russia.

    I think you have a warped sense of patriotism -- unless you mean patriotism to Russia.
    "The ship of democracy, which has weathered all storms, may sink through the mutiny of those on board." -- Grover Cleveland

  4. #24
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,907

    Re: Republicans issue 123-page defense of Trump ahead of Democrats’ impeachment report

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I mean, it's not hard to find it...

    https://republicans-oversight.house....sentatives.pdf

    It also contains this absolute gem: "The evidence shows that President Trump holds a deep-seated, genuine, and reasonable skepticism of Ukraine due to its history of pervasive corruption."

    C'mon, that is just absolutely laughable. If the President of the United States genuinely thought Ukraine was corrupt, why would he ask them to investigate a United States citizen? How unbelievably stupid is that logic and how unbelievably stupid does one have to be to actually believe that?


    The Republican defense of Trump in this document is intended for idiots and true believers. It's not intended to be taken seriously by anyone with a modicum of independent intelligence.



    It's all they have. They have no real exculpatory evidence. Everyone knows what happened, everyone knows why it happened, but Republicans are simply giving Republican voters (and more importantly Republican Congressmen) cover to ignore all of that to play team politics.

    At this point, Republicans are literally putting the good of their party over what is right for the country because they care more about power (whether it is individual power as Congressmen or team power as Republicans matters not) than they do about doing what is right for the country.
    You should read more than just the bullet points.....

  5. #25
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,975

    Re: Republicans issue 123-page defense of Trump ahead of Democrats’ impeachment report

    Quote Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
    You should read more than just the bullet points.....
    ...I'm reading the document put out by Republicans, where they claim Trump is so concerned by Ukrainian corruption he withheld Congressionally appropriated funds until they investigated the son of his political rival.

    You should read...well, anything.


    Wait, I remember you! You're the one who always runs away when given facts. So glad to see you again. Let's see if you'll answer the questions I posed to you or if you'll just run away again:

    1) Was it ignorance or dishonesty that led you to posting lies about Sondland's testimony?
    2) Is Trump a corrupt ruler who tried to extort and bribe a foreign government into investigating his political rivals or is Trump so incompetent as a leader that everyone working on a policy Trump claims is important to him all came to the same wrong conclusion about what he wanted?


    Please answer those questions finally.

  6. #26
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,907

    Re: Republicans issue 123-page defense of Trump ahead of Democrats’ impeachment report

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    ...I'm reading the document put out by Republicans, where they claim Trump is so concerned by Ukrainian corruption he withheld Congressionally appropriated funds until they investigated the son of his political rival.

    You should read...well, anything.


    Wait, I remember you! You're the one who always runs away when given facts. So glad to see you again. Let's see if you'll answer the questions I posed to you or if you'll just run away again:

    1) Was it ignorance or dishonesty that led you to posting lies about Sondland's testimony?
    2) Is Trump a corrupt ruler who tried to extort and bribe a foreign government into investigating his political rivals or is Trump so incompetent as a leader that everyone working on a policy Trump claims is important to him all came to the same wrong conclusion about what he wanted?


    Please answer those questions finally.
    I'm ignoring your idiotic questions that try to put someone into a false choice, you aren't smarter than that, so I can forgive you for thinking they have relevance,

    But read the link you put down there, it CLEARLY SHOWS....(unlike what the Democrats have done) it SHOWS that Trump has had long distrust of Ukraine and foreign aid in GENERAL....but I don't expect you to believe that, it didn't come from CNN.

    The biggest difference between the Republicans document and the Democratic hearings, is that the Democrats are telling you what was said, the Republicans are SHOWING you, what was said. I'd ask you just to read pages 32-36 but you won't, they don't support your point of view.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Seen
    02-21-20 @ 10:53 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,137

    Re: Republicans issue 123-page defense of Trump ahead of Democrats’ impeachment report

    Not surprising to me, they know their base are scumbags that will believe any thing you tell them, regardless of how much BS it is. And then trhe other part are so greedy that who cares how scummy republicans are, how much damage is done, as long as they get their tax breaks

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Seen
    02-21-20 @ 10:53 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,137

    Re: Republicans issue 123-page defense of Trump ahead of Democrats’ impeachment report

    Quote Originally Posted by SLC View Post
    Republicans saw the same evidence that the Dems did. The Republicans have reached their opinion of that evidence. Nothing wrong with that.
    Bull ****ing ****. Opinoins based on fabrications, lies, and spin, there is most definitely something wrong with that. That's what people who have no facts say to try to pretend their unsubstantiated opinion is on the same level as those who base it on facts

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    02-04-20 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    11,484

    Re: Republicans issue 123-page defense of Trump ahead of Democrats’ impeachment report

    Lmao. It blames Rudy.

    Let's see that insurance policy, Rudy.

    Let's see it.

    Not that it will matter. The entire rotten edifice is laying in smouldering ruins. No FISA abuse. No FBI "spying". No Ukrainian meddling. Quid Pro Quo Confirmed at the direction of Trump, as noted in various testimony that the Manhattan Ghoul was operating at his directive.

    Conservatives, this is what "checkmate" looks like. You guys can keep flipping out and tossing the table but the facts are right in your faces.

    How the **** can you be so blind to this?

  10. #30
    Generally Inadvisable

    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    29,734
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Republicans issue 123-page defense of Trump ahead of Democrats’ impeachment report

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalu View Post
    Republicans issue 123-page defense of Trump ahead of Democrats' impeachment report | US news | The Guardian

    "The 123-page Republican report was prepared for Devin Nunes, Jim Jordan and Michael McCaul, the ranking members on the House intelligence, oversight and foreign affairs committees, respectively."

    Trying to coordinate partisan talking points is expected. Coordinating them with dishonesty is unfortunate. The strangest thing to me, though, is how Republicans have decided to preempt news with fabricated descriptions of events. They're publishing a dissent before the opinion gets issued, so to speak. It worked well enough with Barr/Mueller, so it looks like they're going to keep running the same play.
    The "PLAY" you're referring to is distinctly Soviet, and Americans are utterly ill-equipped to deal with such phenomena.
    We've now arrived in the age of the American "Vremya".

    Vremya1972Title.JPG

    "Don't pay attention to Western report of nuclear accident, authorities have everything under control in minor mishap."

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    Putin would make a better president than Hillary.
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    It IS NOT the job of the United States government to protect reporters overseas. It IS the job the United States government to preserve the freedom of the press here in the US.

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •