Page 28 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 953

Thread: Schiff says whistleblower testimony is 'redundant and unnecessary'

  1. #271
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,712

    Re: Schiff says whistleblower testimony is 'redundant and unnecessary'

    Quote Originally Posted by trixare4kids View Post
    No law guarantees the WB's identity be kept secret so stop repeating Schiff's lie.
    I did not claim any law did guarantee that. Odd you'd make up my argument, and address that, instead of address what I DID say. More of that impartial, just the facts, centrism I guess.

  2. #272
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,712

    Re: Schiff says whistleblower testimony is 'redundant and unnecessary'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    This whole charade.
    That's not an answer.

  3. #273
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    22,864
    Blog Entries
    41

    Re: Schiff says whistleblower testimony is 'redundant and unnecessary'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cordelier View Post
    We're talking about the most corrupt, baseless individual to ever occupy the Office of President here. Hell, his own Inauguration was rife with corruption - it had so many donations they could have handed everyone who showed up - protesters included - a $100 bill and still had money left over.

    This is a man who is on the record that he'd welcome foreign help in a his political campaigns!

    How the hell are we supposed to look the other way? Ho-hum... nothing to see here.
    Have at it, but do it in a fair and just way. I've put much of this impeachment shenanigans on ignore. I'm just sick and tired of it all. Your view is held by approximately 85% of Democrats, 85% of Republicans view it totally opposite. I guess if you're neither a Republican nor a Democrat, you flip a coin.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #274
    Professor
    TomFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Schiff says whistleblower testimony is 'redundant and unnecessary'

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I don't know. As I stated I have been pretty much ignoring the whole thing as I chalked it up to ultra high partisan politics. I have to ask myself, would a judge refuse to allow the defense to call witness's it wants? I don't think so. We both know the hearing is just a matter of going through the motions. With 12 Democrats vs. 10 Republicans on the Judiciary Committee all articles of impeachment, the charges the Democrats want will pass and go to the house floor for a vote which all will pass there.

    Denying the defense the right to call the witnesses they want doesn't seem very American to me. Even if the results are know today before anything formal begins. This seems more out of North Korea than America. A black mark on judicial process. But in the era of polarization and ultra high partisan politics, I suppose one could expect nothing less.

    Now not allowing the defense its witnesses, could allow the scheming McConnell to use a little known senate procedure once tried, but failed by Robert Byrd just before Bill Clinton's impeachment trial in the senate. Seems tit for tat could come into play.

    The final results are known today, so why the heck bother? Why not just let all of America decide the fate of Trump in Nov 2020. We know Trump will be impeached by the House, found not guilty by the senate. A total waste of time, energy and money just to please one major party's base.
    I believe that it is absolutely essential to impeach Donald Trump, and to convict him , if possible.

    Donald Trump is not a threat to democracy in America. He’s neither ambitious or competent enough.

    The world sees him as a pathetic figure, and are looking forward to his departure.

    But he has set some really dangerous precidents.

    He usurped Congress’s power of the purse with his emergency declaration. In a show of total fecklessness, the GOP leadership allowed him to get away with it.

    Similarly, he has usurped the power to advise and consent on Presidential appointments,by going around the process with “actings”.

    Finally, he has defied the lawful subpoenas of the investigating committees, and thus oversight power.

    If these excesses are not addressed by impeachment, they must be by the courts, or legislation. But impeachment and convictions would reverse all of this, if it came to that.

    Trump isn’t the threat to American democracy that he appeared to be.

    But the behavior of his reactionary base make it clear that a substantial portion of the American public will follow a cult of personality, and begin declaring their loyalty to the leader, and not to the US. We’ve seen quite a lot of that. And we have a President who encourages it.

    This is not American.

    And we should not fool ourselves into believing that a similar phenomena might not affect the left.

    All the more reason why we must thoroughly prevent these actions from becoming the precidents for a future tyrant to follow.

    Trump has provided the road map.

    And we need to tear it up now.

  5. #275
    Respected on both sides

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    59,973

    Re: Schiff says whistleblower testimony is 'redundant and unnecessary'

    Quote Originally Posted by SCrider View Post
    I can't keep track anymore. After the WB came out the team trump said a second witness was not needed because the "transcript" of the call matched the WB complaint. Now after multiple witnesses have collaborated the WB's complaint, they need him to testify? This is about intimidating future witnesses not getting to any truth.
    It's really hard for me to keep track too. The evidence we have is...

    1)Trump's phone call, in which he certainly appears to be demanding an investigation into his political rival in return for releasing critical military aid.
    2)Giuliani, who admitted on live television that Trump made that demand.
    3)Mick Mulvaney, who admitted to the quid pro quo, again on live television.
    4)Senator Johnson, who said in an interview that he believed that release of the military aid was contingent on Zelensky opening an investigation into Trump's political rival.
    5)John Bolton, who shut down a meeting once it became apparent that it was about demanding an investigation into Trump's political rival.
    6. Colonel Vindman, who testified that the Trump administration altered the phone transcript to delete explicit mentions of Biden and Burisma, and said that Sondland implicated Mulvaney, the acting White House chief of staff, in a quid pro quo. Also, he testified that Zelensky knew perfectly well what Trump's "do me a favor" comment meant.
    7. Fiona Hill, who also testified that Sondland implicated Mulvaney, the acting White House chief of staff, in a quid pro quo, as well as the unsubstantiated attacks on Marie L. Yovanovitch, who didn't appear to be playing ball in the shakedown of a foreign country, as well as the fact that Giuliani was running a shadow foreign policy effort.
    8. Marie Yovanovitch, who testified that she was pushed out because she was uncomfortable with the plans to extort Zelensky.
    9. Michael McKinley, who testified that he quit because the State Department was being used to dig up dirt on Trump's political opponent, cementing that it was a key point in the Trump administration to use the powers of the Presidency to destroy a political rival by any means.
    10. Gordon Sondland, who testified that release of the military aid was contingent on Zelensky beginning an investigation into Trump's political rival.
    11. William Taylor, who testified about a clear understanding of a quid pro quo, the belief that a meeting between President Donald Trump and Ukrainian leader Volodymyr Zelensky wasn’t “worth it” if Kyiv had to interfere in US politics, and a growing suspicion of Rudy Giuliani’s role in the administration’s Ukraine policy.
    12. The fact that the Zelensky administration not only was aware of the extortion, but had actually made the decision to cave in to that extortion and announce on CNN the opening of an investigation into Biden, exactly as Trump demanded. They were saved only by the story blowing up and going public.

    I have no doubt that I'm missing a ton of other evidence.

    Hill and Vindman Testimony: Key Excerpts From Impeachment Inquiry Transcripts - The New York Times
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...c58_story.html
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ine-testimony/
    Here Are 5 Key Takeaways From the Hundreds of Pages of Testimony That Were Released Monday by Lawmakers Overseeing the Impeachment Investigation
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...nds-testimony/
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/w...-zelensky.html

  6. #276
    Sage
    ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,051

    Re: Schiff says whistleblower testimony is 'redundant and unnecessary'

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Adam Schiff says whistleblower testimony is 'redundant and unnecessary' - CNNPolitics


    Strange. Why would the Dems hide the accuser from cross examination? If the case is so airtight, why not go public with all of it?
    The whistleblower has agreed to answer all questions in written form. The information is public. The only reason for asking for public hearings and unmasking his identity is witness intimidation. If revealed, his life will be in much more danger than it already is now by all those patriotic “law and order” 2nd amendment types.

  7. #277
    Guru
    Cordelier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,904

    Re: Schiff says whistleblower testimony is 'redundant and unnecessary'

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I haven't heard a word about that. I don't doubt your word. It's just like what Reid did when he was senate majority leader. Table anything and everything the Republican house passed. Reid and McConnell are two peas in a pod when it comes to placing their political parties above country.

    But what does get reported on, impeachment. I'm not impartial and I'm not a centrist. I side with the Democrats on some issues, with the Republicans on others, but most are irrelevant to me. I'll not have a political party dictate my stances on issues as it seems most do and do gladly. As for witnesses in the senate, If McConnell tries that, I'm against him. What I want is a sense of fairness. That seems what neither side wants.
    I think you're wrong about that. If the President can make the case that he had a good reason to push the Ukrainians to investigate the Bidens... that it wasn't just Rudy Giuliani's demented ravings and a bunch of paranoid conspiracy theories, then I think the Democrats could accept that. I go with much (but not all) of what Senator Kennedy (R-LA) said on Face the Nation earlier today:

    SEN. KENNEDY: The quid pro quo, in my judgment, is a red herring. Here- here are the two possible scenarios. Number one, the president asked for an investigation of a political rival. Number two, the president asked for an investigation of possible corruption by someone who happens to be a political rival. The latter would be in the national interest. The former would be in the president's parochial interests and would be over the line. I think this case is going to come down to the president's intent- his motive. Did he have a culpable state of mind? For me, Margaret, there are only two relevant questions that need to be answered. Why did the president ask for an investigation? And number two, and this is inextricably linked to the first question, what did Mr. Hunter Biden do for the money?
    "He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know." --- Lao Tzu

  8. #278
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,740

    Re: Schiff says whistleblower testimony is 'redundant and unnecessary'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cordelier View Post
    He's a damned sight better than the Ranking Minority Member, who goes out of his way to doctor evidence.
    Nope. Schiff's a prodigious liar. Got his head stuck up his ass. That's how his neck got so skinny - trying to pull that empty head outta there.

  9. #279
    Respected on both sides

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    59,973

    Re: Schiff says whistleblower testimony is 'redundant and unnecessary'

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Hmm... was Trump not involved directly? The plot sickens.
    Yes. Why would you even ask that?

  10. #280
    Guru
    Cordelier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,904

    Re: Schiff says whistleblower testimony is 'redundant and unnecessary'

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Nope. Schiff's a prodigious liar. Got his head stuck up his ass. That's how his neck got so skinny - trying to pull that empty head outta there.
    Whatever. Take your playground insults back to the Sixth Grade. We're trying to have an adult conversation here.
    "He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know." --- Lao Tzu

Page 28 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •