Page 52 of 78 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 775

Thread: Officer kills woman inside her Texas home after welfare call

  1. #511
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    20,928

    Re: Officer kills woman inside her Texas home after welfare call

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    He shouldnt shoot at all. He has no idea who she is...in other words he breaks one of the biggest rules of carrying a gun...*identify your target*....

    He could have taken cover and reassessed. He had time to call out to her, he could have moved to a safe position first. Until he knew who he was shooting at.
    What are the chances an officer in a similar situation will follow the same procedures but fail to fire his weapon and end up dead from a gunshot wound?

  2. #512
    Sage
    TU Curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lower Mainland of BC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,438

    Re: Officer kills woman inside her Texas home after welfare call

    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    What are the chances an officer in a similar situation will follow the same procedures but fail to fire his weapon and end up dead from a gunshot wound?
    Just about the same as if they hadn't been a police officer and had walked into the wrong yard in the middle of the night.

    However, I do quite understand that some people are firmly of the opinion that any police officer should be able to shoot anyone, anywhere, at any time, and then be totally immune from any legal consequences simply because they are a police officer who says "I thought that I was about to be attacked and had an honest belief that I was acting in self defence." (even if the police officer was acting in a most UN-police manner and in violation of departmental regulations and policies).
    I was told that the best things for me were to eat healthy foods, walk up hills, stop smoking cigars, and cut out drinking Scotch.
    With my record, I don't _DESERVE_ the best. What's second best?
    (Retirement Dinner remarks)



  3. #513
    bis vincit qui se vincit

    Wayne Jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,128

    Re: Officer kills woman inside her Texas home after welfare call

    Quote Originally Posted by rjay View Post
    What kind of training is done in the U.S. for police officers?
    It's like any other job, just fill out an application and have an interview. If hired they train you for a week and then you're on your own.

    Vaccines, because it's not always about you.

  4. #514
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,416

    Re: Officer kills woman inside her Texas home after welfare call

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jr View Post
    It's like any other job, just fill out an application and have an interview. If hired they train you for a week and then you're on your own.

    Hope you are being just a bit satirical here. Yeah, in some small towns and rural areas it might be true. I had a great-uncle who told me a story as a kid how he lost a construction job and moved back to his hometown in the backwoods of Arkansas and was able to get a job as a deputy simply because he had been high school buddies with the sheriff. Metropolitan areas and state police do have extensive training, obviously not enough for some people.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  5. #515
    bis vincit qui se vincit

    Wayne Jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,128

    Re: Officer kills woman inside her Texas home after welfare call

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Hope you are being just a bit satirical here. Yeah, in some small towns and rural areas it might be true.
    It's not even true in small or rural towns. Every. Single. Cop. Has to graduate academy, regardless. 2-4 year degrees are often required. rjay was just too lazy to Google his question, so I was happy to give him wrong information out of spite Lazy people don't deserve to be informed.
    Vaccines, because it's not always about you.

  6. #516
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    55,515

    Re: Officer kills woman inside her Texas home after welfare call

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Why are they doing a "welfare check" at 0230 in the morning?

    This is why I have a gated entrance to my property. I also have PTZ cameras covering the property. No surprises.

    The police should be only able to return fire with rare exception.
    In response to a citizen's call expressing concern about an open front door.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #517
    Sage
    TU Curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lower Mainland of BC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,438

    Re: Officer kills woman inside her Texas home after welfare call

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jr View Post
    It's like any other job, just fill out an application and have an interview. If hired they train you for a week and then you're on your own.

    Don't be silly. You have to take at least NINE WEEKS of training before you are eligible to join a major police force.

    Admittedly the required training time to become an elected sheriff is "slightly" (about 63 days, in fact) shorter.
    I was told that the best things for me were to eat healthy foods, walk up hills, stop smoking cigars, and cut out drinking Scotch.
    With my record, I don't _DESERVE_ the best. What's second best?
    (Retirement Dinner remarks)



  8. #518
    Sage
    TU Curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lower Mainland of BC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,438

    Re: Officer kills woman inside her Texas home after welfare call

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jr View Post
    It's not even true in small or rural towns. Every. Single. Cop. Has to graduate academy, regardless. 2-4 year degrees are often required. rjay was just too lazy to Google his question, so I was happy to give him wrong information out of spite Lazy people don't deserve to be informed.
    Although the article is a bit dated, you might find "States require more training time to become a barber than a police officer" interesting.

    On a tangential note, you might also find "Weighing the Pros and Cons of Higher Education in EMS" interesting.
    I was told that the best things for me were to eat healthy foods, walk up hills, stop smoking cigars, and cut out drinking Scotch.
    With my record, I don't _DESERVE_ the best. What's second best?
    (Retirement Dinner remarks)



  9. #519
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,138

    Re: Officer kills woman inside her Texas home after welfare call

    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    What are the chances an officer in a similar situation will follow the same procedures but fail to fire his weapon and end up dead from a gunshot wound?
    He agreed to take the risk and it's up to him to follow his training. That's what he signed up for and gets paid for and trained for.

    You seem to assume that the risk is all on a citizen, supposedly safe in her home. Is that true? That the American people cannot be safe in their homes and should just 'take their chances' with incompetent or careless police?

    He had a choice...and he chose to kill. You never even acknowledged that he had a choice.
    Last edited by Lursa; 10-20-19 at 04:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    This seems less like palliative care and more like a last meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Parrots of the Caribbean For Abortion!
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #520
    Guru

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,854

    Re: Officer kills woman inside her Texas home after welfare call

    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    What are the chances an officer in a similar situation will follow the same procedures but fail to fire his weapon and end up dead from a gunshot wound?
    When you say, 'same procedures' - you mean the same process? Because he FAILED to follow the procedure.

    Now if an officer followed the same process up until the point of confronting the homeowner, but then identified himself, verified his target, and took a defensive position (such as turning off the light so the homeowner couldn't see him, and moving to the side) - both would likely be fine. If he did get shot, again, it would have been his fault for failing to follow procedure.

Page 52 of 78 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •