Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 245

Thread: Rand Paul blocks vote on bill to aid 9/11 first responders

  1. #131
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Seen
    08-17-19 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,363

    Re: Rand Paul blocks vote on bill to aid 9/11 first responders

    Quote Originally Posted by dcsports View Post
    Short term - generally meaning within a few years. You are trying to impact the current economic downswing, to blunt it. (And unfortunately, virtually everything congress does is within the short term).

    Feel free to look up the specific definition. These are economic terms.
    I am interested in how YOU use the terms because you seem to discount the CBO projection which is for the next DECADE based on some claim that the revenues dip in the short term (of few years) but rebound in the long term and therefore we should not worry about the deficit implications of the tax cuts.

  2. #132
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    08-15-19 @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,441

    Re: Rand Paul blocks vote on bill to aid 9/11 first responders

    Quote Originally Posted by dcsports View Post
    Increasing taxes is a great way to depress growth -- If you'll note, Democrats moved quickly to restore most of the Bush tax cuts when they expired.

    And no, evidence easily supports this... it's been proven several times, even in recent history.
    Uh, there is no negative correlation to increased marginal tax rates and gdp growth, in fact, there is a slight positive correlation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wan View Post
    There is nothing wrong with either racism or sexism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    In fact, I speculate had Antifa not been there, there would have been zero deaths at that (Charlottesville) event.

  3. #133
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,233

    Re: Rand Paul blocks vote on bill to aid 9/11 first responders

    Quote Originally Posted by dcsports View Post
    Increasing taxes is a great way to depress growth -- If you'll note, Democrats moved quickly to restore most of the Bush tax cuts when they expired.
    Your history book is a bit light on the facts. The GOP held the House when that happened, and the 'job creators' are in the class of those whose taxes went UP. So this makes no sense from an economic standpoint. And it also implicitly assumes that fiscal stimulus such as through tax cuts are just as wise as we were emerging from the deepest recession in 80 years as they are when we are at full employment, following a near decade of jobs growth.

    And no, evidence easily supports this... it's been proven several times, even in recent history.
    If you believe it, show your work. No economist you can cite agrees with you, or the CBO, JCT, Treasury, so I'm not sure where you'll find it, but if you have it I'd like to see it. Put up or shut up, as the saying goes. Just do it!

  4. #134
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,233

    Re: Rand Paul blocks vote on bill to aid 9/11 first responders

    Quote Originally Posted by dcsports View Post
    Short term - generally meaning within a few years. You are trying to impact the current economic downswing, to blunt it. (And unfortunately, virtually everything congress does is within the short term).

    Feel free to look up the specific definition. These are economic terms.
    Well, that's a decent point. If you're GE and you're looking at an investment with a 20 year life, what tax rates can you assume? Who knows? That's 10 congressional elections and 5 presidential elections, perhaps 2 or 3 recessions in that period, maybe 4, interest rate spikes, world demand fluctuations, and more. As we sit here, the "permanent" tax cuts in TCJA are good through 2020, or maybe 2021, and their fate after that depends on who wins the election in 2020. That's as far as anyone can project with any certainty at all, and that will never change.

  5. #135
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Seen
    08-17-19 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,363

    Re: Rand Paul blocks vote on bill to aid 9/11 first responders

    Quote Originally Posted by dcsports View Post
    Increasing taxes is a great way to depress growth -- If you'll note, Democrats moved quickly to restore most of the Bush tax cuts when they expired.

    And no, evidence easily supports this... it's been proven several times, even in recent history.
    Only in the long-term And cutting taxes also grows the economy only in the long term. And evidence easily supports this...it's bee proven several times, even in recent history. In fact the 3% growth in 2018 is because of Obama's tax cuts.

    See how easy it is for somebody to say whatever you wants without specific reference ?

    [sarcasm intended]

  6. #136
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,233

    Re: Rand Paul blocks vote on bill to aid 9/11 first responders

    Quote Originally Posted by pamak View Post
    Only in the long-term And cutting taxes also grows the economy only in the long term. And evidence easily supports this...it's bee proven several times, even in recent history. In fact the 3% growth in 2018 is because of Obama's tax cuts.

    See how easy it is for somebody to say whatever you wants without specific reference ?

    [sarcasm intended]
    LOL, I was reading that and thinking... till I saw that last line.

    We could also do this:

    One of the best periods of economic growth in the post WWII era were the 50s and 60s which had tax rates of 70-90%, which proves of course that high tax rates boost growth and to get back to those high growth conditions, we need to more than double current top tax rates to at least the 70% range. It's been proven many times that high tax rates boost growth!

  7. #137
    Sage
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,942

    Re: Rand Paul blocks vote on bill to aid 9/11 first responders

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealers Wheel View Post
    No,no,no! Everyone knows that if you give a billionaire a massive tax cut he will immediately say "OMG! I've got to run out and hire a bunch of people right away! I've got to spread all this money all over the place, because I'm a firm believer in trickle down economics."

    That's what all the billionaires and the multinational corporations do. That's what they exist for: Sharing the wealth with everyone they can.
    Of course much of the Trump base believes it. It's called "planting a seed." You give to the guy in power, and he rewards you ten fold.



    Trump must have seen this and wet himself: "Screw Trump University, these are my people!"
    Last edited by JustHanging; 07-18-19 at 08:37 PM.
    President Lyndon B. Johnson: "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

  8. #138
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    08-23-19 @ 12:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    17,163

    Re: Rand Paul blocks vote on bill to aid 9/11 first responders

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Rand Paul blocks vote on bill to aid 9/11 first responders - CBS News



    He never thought that when he voted for the Tax cuts that caused the deficit to explode.

    Link to where he voted yes

    Now Republicans are concerned over the deficit, yet again

    How Every Senator Voted on the Tax Bill - The New York Times
    Tax cuts arent spending. I stand with Rand. Unless there is a national emergency, all spending should be paid for. We have 22 trillion in debt, and a one trillion deficit. Which means we can not afford this new spending bill. So something has to be cut.

  9. #139
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,233

    Re: Rand Paul blocks vote on bill to aid 9/11 first responders

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Tax cuts arent spending. I stand with Rand. Unless there is a national emergency, all spending should be paid for. We have 22 trillion in debt, and a one trillion deficit. Which means we can not afford this new spending bill. So something has to be cut.
    Apples aren't oranges, but it's unclear how your point about taxes and spending is relevant. Tax cuts will add about $1,900 billion to the debt over 10 years per CBO. The spending for the 9/11 first responders about $10 billion.

    $1,900
    $10

    Now if you vote for the $1,900 and say, figuratively, "F the deficit!" then don't be surprised when your "principled" opposition to the $10 falls on deaf ears.

  10. #140
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    08-23-19 @ 12:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    17,163

    Re: Rand Paul blocks vote on bill to aid 9/11 first responders

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Apples aren't oranges, but it's unclear how your point about taxes and spending is relevant. Tax cuts will add about $1,900 billion to the debt over 10 years per CBO. The spending for the 9/11 first responders about $10 billion.

    $1,900
    $10

    Now if you vote for the $1,900 and say, figuratively, "F the deficit!" then don't be surprised when your "principled" opposition to the $10 falls on deaf ears.
    Not taking money from people doesnt add to the debt. Simple as that. Thus the rest of your post isnt relevant.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •