Page 32 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 825

Thread: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

  1. #311
    The Antichrist Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,962

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    yet that is what soclism is. Where the government controls the means of production.
    And, no one is advocating that, despite the repeated bleating of folks like you and others who consume faux news.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    it is there company if you don't like it then you are free to go work for someone else. No one forces you to work for 1 company forever. the CEO of walmart makes 22m. walmart employee 2.2 million people congrats you gave everyone 10 dollars. they are so happy.
    The "go work for someone else" argument ignores the counter productive nature of competition when it comes to reducing employer cost by cutting benefits, which you completely ignored (as usual, I will note.)

    It also ignores that alot of americans work in areas where employment options are limited. Coupled with vastly bloated housing prices country wide, and you have a real issue of fluid mobility on your hands. I'd like this and the point above addressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    pay is dependent on the position that you are opening. If i am opening another fast food place and i am paying 10 bucks and hour then those people are making good money for their position. when i have 300m people that can take fries out of a fryer you don't really get much leverage on pay.
    So, pay is dependent on position, not employee skill, is that correct? Thank you for being honest; the truth finally comes out. You don't get a raise, despite being awesome, because I've only earmarked X dollars for X position, and you can leave if you don't like it!

    Sort of diminishes the argument you guys make about the labor market and demanding pay for your own skill, right? Or, should this employee simply leave for another job which may or may not exist in their home town? How many large employers do you think exist in the average american town?

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    A business can't pay more than what the position is worth nor can it pay more than what you can make.
    Again, you're tying salary to a position, which diminishes the value a laborer can demand for their skill set. This is the opposite of a free market. Can you elaborate?

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    If they want to pay for part of an investment and take on part of the risk then they have skin in the game. Other than that we have a consensual contract that they will work for X for over Y hours. if they don't like
    that contract then they are free to look elsewhere. I am not going to pay obscene wages that I simply can't pay.
    I'm not advocating for obscene wages. I'm not even entirely decided on what I think of minimum wage, for what it's worth. The primary issue in my mind when it comes to minimum wage is the disparity between income and how much housing costs in this country. Real estate is overvalued.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    appeal to emotion argument.
    Non-sequitir.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    Then quit your job.
    Non-sequitir.


    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    we know you aren't honest. you have established that already.
    Says the guy who doesn't know what democrats are actually advocating for.

    Yes, your credibility is solid!
    Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven. - Milton

    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

  2. #312
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-15-19 @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,521

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cramer View Post
    Incorrect.

    SS is an insurance policy. It was also to be one of the 3 parts of retirement. Pensions, savings/equity from the home, and SS.

    Pensions hardly exist any longer, being replaced by 401k's. (this cost corps less, and wall street gets to make a fortune off of fees, paid by, individuals. (for the most part)
    Yes, you are incorrect. Nothing I said is wrong and nothing you provided shows that it is.

    Social Security was meant to be a supplement to your own earned retirement/savings, not to retire off of.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cramer View Post
    Without SS, my disabled sister would have to rely on family, friends or charity for housing, food, healthcare and other necessities. She is able to live a decent, but very frugal life...thanks to SS. She has never worked a "real" job in her life.

    What is you solution for people like her, if you eliminate SS?
    Neither I or society have to have a solution to your problems. You do. And you should provide for your own before the government ever steps in to help.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #313
    The Antichrist Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,962

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Check out the latest economic report for the US.. Minority hiring in some instances is the highest in the history of the US. You wanna try again? Unless you want everyone to have the same in which you'd be advocating for pure communism.
    I don't care about how many people get hired if those jobs aren't good paying jobs that carry benefits. These jobs, like Wally World and others, proliferate the welfare state by underpaying workers and artificially enriching job creators by diluting the value of labor with set salaries per position, instead of laborer skill.
    Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven. - Milton

    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

  4. #314
    Advisor Cramer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    484

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    why can you not argue the point? why do you have to strawman?
    Facts are facts. black leaders wanted to get tougher laws on the crack epidemic.
    however crack was a favorite use of drugs among black while meth was for poor
    whites. poor whites were not buying cocaine. both carry the same sentencing structure.
    It is more nuanced than what you are portraying.
    It is true, some members of the Black Caucus supported tougher penalties for drug offenders. There was a very vocal pastor in NY that did as well. But as time passed, black leaders and politicians have realized it was a mistake, and have started to roll back those sentencing laws.

    "The drug war was motivated by racial politics, not drug crime. The drug war was launched as a way of trying to appeal to poor and working-class white voters, as a way to say, 'We're going to get tough on them, put them back in their place.' And 'them' was not-so-subtly defined as African-Americans." Michelle Alexander — author of the best-selling book The New Jim Crow
    eventually, even some of the staunchest supporters of mandatory minimums saw that these policies had badly backfired, in part because they lumped addicts and small-time dealers with drug kingpins and violent gang leaders. And they also consigned countless African-American men to prisons across the country.



    The Shift In Black Views Of The War On Drugs : Code Switch : NPR

  5. #315
    Advisor Cramer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    484

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Sorry, the rich simply do not have enough money to do what you want. As I said, "we" can "want" to do the mathematically impossible all day long. It'll still be mathematically impossible.

    You want Scandinavia, you tax like Scandinavia.
    You are stating an opinion.

    Unless you have some data to back it up.

  6. #316
    Advisor Cramer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    484

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Yes, you are incorrect. Nothing I said is wrong and nothing you provided shows that it is.

    Social Security was meant to be a supplement to your own earned retirement/savings, not to retire off of.
    You omit the part that pensions were part of the equation, that in reality, no longer exists.

    And not all companies even offer a 401k.


    Neither I or society have to have a solution to your problems. You do. And you should provide for your own before the government ever steps in to help.
    Out of many, one, is a term conservatives conveniently forget. It is one of the principles our country was founded upon. That was our "de facto motto" from our founding....before the religious right got Eisenhower to change it. I like Ike, but prefer Jefferson, Adams, Washington, and Hamilton's (etc) views on this. It is still on our currency.

  7. #317
    Guru
    Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:00 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristaeus View Post
    You guys are f*cking obsessed with her.
    And they can't even refute what she says, just the usual dumb right wing deflections to socialism and communism.

    Since Reaganism, the country has been going down. Poverty rates high, absurd wealth inequality, more and more people with no svaing, living paycheck to paycheck, the list goes on and on.

  8. #318
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,070

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cramer View Post
    My initial guess, w/out looking was a music festival.

    Google confirmed that guess. There still is a mesic festival as well, including on regarding film.

    The "interactive" portion has been going on for quite a while as well.

    Of course, SXSW music festival, did bring us Hanson....and John Mayer, so there is that.
    Yes, a music festival that later expanded. I hate politics infecting everything.

  9. #319
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    82,172

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I mean, if there are enough "malcontents" to support and vote for these sorts of philosophies we should probably wonder how we ended up with so many people malcontent-ed in the first place.
    The slow march to socialism continues with more gov't spending on social programs and the buying of votes creating dependence.

  10. #320
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    59,123

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The slow march to socialism continues with more gov't spending on social programs and the buying of votes creating dependence.
    I mean, it's a nice platitude. But if so many people are going to embrace something so different, there must be a reason they have been made so discontented with what currently exists.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 32 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •