Page 26 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 825

Thread: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

  1. #251
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SE Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    82,830

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Anyone familiar with history would know that people like AOC led to the birth of Communism and Socialism and we all know the end results of both. She is appealing to the fringe radicals but unfortunately a growing number of malcontents that buy the rhetoric and ignore the end results. All one needs to do is look at Venezuela now
    They aren't ignoring the end results; they don't know them. Socialism is presented as a way to make society fair. They don't get any of the bad stuff. They're being scammed. They use idiots like AOC because she doesn't know any better.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA #WalkAway

  2. #252
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    35,729

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cramer View Post
    Quantify heavily tax. And what income level do you consider middle class?
    The middle class is the middle three quintiles of income.

    Heavy tax is in excess of 35%. And that's just income tax, leaving out things like VAT.
    "Brothers and sisters, there is plenty of money in this country. There is plenty of money in this world. It’s just in the wrong hands." -- Comrade Bill de Blasio (D), 3/10/19

  3. #253
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    47,331

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    They aren't ignoring the end results; they don't know them. Socialism is presented as a way to make society fair. They don't get any of the bad stuff. They're being scammed. They use idiots like AOC because she doesn't know any better.
    That (bolded above) is sad since she has a college education (degree?) in economics.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #254
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    23,800

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    I beg to differ.

    US Has Killed More Than 20 Million People in 37 "Victim Nations" Since World War II - Global ResearchGlobal Research - Centre for Research on Globalization

    This is a direct result of capitalism. Companies make arms and armaments and need to sell them to someone. What's the true reason we've been involved in military action across the entire planet? Is it because we want to enforce morality?

    No. It's because we have arms and armaments to sell, and that's why capitalism has caused so much death and destruction.
    I understand your point, but your statement could be made complete by adding "capitalism headed up by immoral humans" to the equation.

    Capitalism can be good, but if immoral humans are at the controls, bad things will result.

  5. #255
    The Antichrist Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,962

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau72 View Post
    I understand your point, but your statement could be made complete by adding "capitalism headed up by immoral humans" to the equation.

    Capitalism can be good, but if immoral humans are at the controls, bad things will result.
    Then the same exact defence could be used for any system, rendering any criticism invalid, because "immoral humans," rendering your post toothless.

    In the long run this is the same sort of deflection christians use to distance themselves from unappetizing people who claim to be christian.
    Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven. - Milton

    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

  6. #256
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,070

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cramer View Post
    I know some cons hate to deal with the fact, that we are UNITED States of America.

    Of many, one. That was a big part of the whole idea.

    You keep referring to Texas.....the majority of the rest of us would be just fine, if Texas did the independent republic thing again. Except for Austin. We'll keep Austin.
    Otherwise known as the "Berkeley of the South."

    I'm just sorry that SXSW has become such a thing that politicians are using it.

    Raise your hands if you remember what SXSW used to be.

  7. #257
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    23,800

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    Then the same exact defence could be used for any system, rendering any criticism invalid, because "immoral humans," rendering your post toothless.

    In the long run this is the same sort of deflection christians use to distance themselves from unappetizing people who claim to be christian.
    That's true. We could say, with high degree of accuracy, that the inanimate firearm hurt nobody at all unless it is controlled by a human. Yes, immoral humans at the helm of a corporation can cause horrible damage, while another corporation run by humans intent upon doing good can accomplish good, for the workers and others.

  8. #258
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-15-19 @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,521

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    Except that nobody in the Democratic Party is actually advocating Socialism.
    Bs.


    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    The right-wing accuses people like AOC of being Socialist because they have no real argument to combat her proposals,
    Wrong again.

    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    What I think should be a pointed out is that the Republicans have shifted right to the point of wanting to disband valuable programs such as Social Security -- a program President Eisenhower defended.
    iLOl There is nothing wrong with wanting to get rid of it.
    It was a program intended to provided an offsettign supplement to the retirement income the individual saved on their own. It has gone far past that purpose.
    It should be done away with.
    You can make more by investing your own money in the market.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #259
    Guru Hedgology's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-11-19 @ 11:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,592

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    For the simple minded, there's no difference. For people who care about the facts, there is
    Name the differences between Democratic Socialism and just Socialism... Without looking it up.
    Jussie Smollett's Lawyer - If the noose doesn't fit, you must acquit.

  10. #260
    Guru Hedgology's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-11-19 @ 11:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,592

    Re: Ocasio-Cortez, at SXSW, blasts FDR, Reagan and capitalism, says political moderates are 'meh'

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I have said that the US is a Socialist nation, and since you believe that merely subsidizing industries makes a nation Socialist, you must agree because the US subsidizes many industries.
    The public sector of the United States produces no resources; the DAF did.
    Jussie Smollett's Lawyer - If the noose doesn't fit, you must acquit.

Page 26 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •