Page 36 of 74 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 735

Thread: Trump says he ‘never said’ Mexico would pay for the wall. But he did – a lot

  1. #351
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    01-18-19 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,238

    Re: Trump says he ‘never said’ Mexico would pay for the wall. But he did – a lot

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Nonsense, we are paying folks "safety net" benefits to work 20 hours/week at McJobs which pay less than those jobs now eagerly taken by illegal immigrants. I have no difficulty finding temporary help (labor) when I need it. Of course, I pay at least $100/day for that help, provide transportation to/from the job site and lunch - sometimes even tossing in a few beers after work.
    Argue the point with the Federal government. Currently the feds define full employment as as an unemployment rate of 4.6% or less - it changes based on current economic conditions. We are at 3.7% as of the latest numbers I saw.

    The lowest unemployment we ever had was 1.6% or so and that was during WW II.

    You may have no difficulty finding workers but that says nothing about the rest of the country.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  2. #352
    Proud member of the 'ilk'

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    33,827

    Re: Trump says he ‘never said’ Mexico would pay for the wall. But he did – a lot

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Anybody that's not working and getting public assistance.
    Let’s MAGA and get kids and their mothers working as field hands again!
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  3. #353
    Rule of Two
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,081

    Re: Trump says he ‘never said’ Mexico would pay for the wall. But he did – a lot

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Let’s MAGA and get kids and their mothers working as field hands again!
    Trump is America's cultural revolution.

    Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.
    Peace is a lie. There is only Passion. Through Passion I gain Strength. Through Strength I gain Power. Through Power I gain Victory. Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me.

  4. #354
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,066

    Re: Trump says he ‘never said’ Mexico would pay for the wall. But he did – a lot

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Let’s MAGA and get kids and their mothers working as field hands again!
    Is there a reason women cant do those jobs? Immigrant women do.

    Why are you being ridiculous and implying that I was claiming forced labor? And esp. for minors?

    Is that the only way you can try and dispute my post?
    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    Being subject to a dictator is a whole lot better than a false sexual misconduct accusation from "#MeToo".
    Quote Originally Posted by gulfman View Post
    All I need to know when I vote is that the candidate has an r after their name.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #355
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    45,791

    Re: Trump says he ‘never said’ Mexico would pay for the wall. But he did – a lot

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Argue the point with the Federal government. Currently the feds define full employment as as an unemployment rate of 4.6% or less - it changes based on current economic conditions. We are at 3.7% as of the latest numbers I saw.

    The lowest unemployment we ever had was 1.6% or so and that was during WW II.

    You may have no difficulty finding workers but that says nothing about the rest of the country.
    What you are describing is the current lack of being able to find other then illegal immigrant labor for the wages/benefits offered. I have no difficulty finding help (labor) because I do offer decent pay/benefits and I'm said to be a real PITA to work with.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #356
    Sage
    PIPEWRENCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,650

    Re: Trump says he ‘never said’ Mexico would pay for the wall. But he did – a lot

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No it's not and the reasons have been outlined here and in the media many times. I"m not going to repeat it all here but there's some in the last few pages in this thread, showing exactly what the border patrol has said: the majority of drugs and humans being trafficked come thru the main portals smuggled on trucks and in cars.

    Then just think how for just $1 billion would go towards investigating, identifying, and penalizing employers who hire illegals? Dry up the jobs, then those coming in for work stop coming. That's exactly what happened during the economic crisis in '08-09.

    Simple, Reader's Digest version ^^, there's much more but I doubt you want to hear it.
    Depending on which agents you talk to and where they are stationed you will be told a different problem. If you go to any major crossing area where walls and fences already exist the need is for more agents to check trucks and vehicles smuggling people, drugs and contraband in vehicles. If you talk to border patrol where inadequate fence and walls are or do not exist they will tell you they are needed. Our bias media can come up with any answer they want to portray to the mindless masses by asking the right questions to the right people. I can also go by the experience I have of 40 years of crossing the border and talking with border patrol all across Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. They have problems with people sneaking in where walls and fences are inadequate or are nonexciting. I am not easily swayed by the propaganda by the media which our rich and powerful own and use to keep the flow of cheap labor coming into our country.

    “When choosing the lesser of two evils, always remember, it is still an evil.”

  7. #357
    Proud member of the 'ilk'

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    33,827

    Re: Trump says he ‘never said’ Mexico would pay for the wall. But he did – a lot

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Is there a reason women cant do those jobs? Immigrant women do.

    Why are you being ridiculous and implying that I was claiming forced labor? And esp. for minors?

    Is that the only way you can try and dispute my post?
    Did I type ‘forced labor’?

    I guess if you think mothers should have to go out to strawberry fields or pick cotton so they can get their WIC money, that’s on you.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  8. #358
    Guru

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Last Seen
    01-16-19 @ 12:19 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,034

    Re: Trump says he ‘never said’ Mexico would pay for the wall. But he did – a lot

    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    While you wrote, the wall needs to be built, there are highly meritorious conclusions that the wall is an ineffectual, expensive project, that wasn't the result of a thought-out analysis. It was created to be a cheer-line at campaign rallies. It's merely a simplistic 'solution' to a complex problem. As others have already written, most undocumented aliens enter via plane, boat, or the northern border and overstay their visa.

    Brushing off Trump's promise that Mexico would pay for the wall as unimportant, dismisses those campaign event attendees as pawns. Trump yelled, "who's going to pay for the wall" and they yell back, "MEXICO!" Now, you say that isn't important, which is an admission that it was merely a cynical campaign ploy and prop, that doesn't matter after it propelled him into office.

    The fact that not even Republicans in the House and Senate put the wall into the budget over the last two years, should tell you something.

    Just because the Swamp doesn't like the Wall, doesn't mean it won't get built. The fact is that enough people are behind the wall, and this is about a fight for sovereignty. I don't have a right to traipse into your yard without permission, I don't have the right to stick my hands down your pants without your permission, I don't have the right to trespass into a country without its permission. Those who like to help themselves to what belongs to others without asking permission are violating the rights of others. Nations have sovereignty, whether you like it or not.

    This thread isn't a discussion of whether there is value in the wall, a position that most Americans reject. It's about Trump's denial now that he even said Mexico would pay for the wall.
    This is just the weird hairsplitting mania that Oppo-dominated media are obsessed with. We can see that the American people aren't interested in the Oppo-media just by their continually declining ratings.

  9. #359
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    01-18-19 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,238

    Re: Trump says he ‘never said’ Mexico would pay for the wall. But he did – a lot

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    What you are describing is the current lack of being able to find other then illegal immigrant labor for the wages/benefits offered. I have no difficulty finding help (labor) because I do offer decent pay/benefits and I'm said to be a real PITA to work with.
    I have no reason at all to doubt what you say. I'd only say that what the labor market looks like where you are doesn't necessarily reflect the rest of the nation. When the unemployment rate is this low it isn't because people are staying home because wages are too low. It's because they're temporarily between jobs or live in areas where there aren't jobs they want or are qualified for. Would the unemployment rate go down further if wages of jobs illegals take went up? Maybe. Probably. But I think what you'd likely see is people switching jobs instead of significant decreases in unemployment.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  10. #360
    Sage



    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,345

    Re: Trump says he ‘never said’ Mexico would pay for the wall. But he did – a lot

    Quote Originally Posted by sanman View Post
    Just because the Swamp doesn't like the Wall, doesn't mean it won't get built. The fact is that enough people are behind the wall, and this is about a fight for sovereignty. I don't have a right to traipse into your yard without permission, I don't have the right to stick my hands down your pants without your permission, I don't have the right to trespass into a country without its permission. Those who like to help themselves to what belongs to others without asking permission are violating the rights of others. Nations have sovereignty, whether you like it or not.



    This is just the weird hairsplitting mania that Oppo-dominated media are obsessed with. We can see that the American people aren't interested in the Oppo-media just by their continually declining ratings.
    My understanding of the "swamp" is self-dealing insiders who profited from their connections in government by pulling strings for their own private benefit or profit. Moreover, it's about filling the government with lobbyists and corporate executives who'll directly benefit from their regulatory decisions, who relax or simply ignore ethics laws and regulations. It's about cabinet members who invest in stocks that rise based on the cabinet secretary's decision or the president's daughter making deals with China and granting her licenses just as her father is deciding on Chinese tariff policy -- or when foreign governments book rooms in the president's hotels to bestow favor.

    TRUMP IS THE SWAMP.

    For those of us who use our frontal lobes to evaluate information, we know that the wall, that would take years to build will not achieve the desired outcome. As I said, it will take years to build. We also know that most of the undocumented arrive via air and water and other land ports , while overstaying their visas. The wall will have no effect on this.

    We also know that drugs enter the U.S. via container trucks, ships and planes. A wall, no matter how impenetrable, has no effect on this.

    None of this has anything to do with national sovereignty, trespassing or any of the other inane violations you imagine are occuring.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." --J.S. Mill

Page 36 of 74 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •