Page 64 of 74 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 640 of 738

Thread: Trump Walks Out of Border Talks, Calls Them ‘Total Waste of Time’

  1. #631
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:32 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    11,241

    Re: Trump Walks Out of Border Talks, Calls Them ‘Total Waste of Time’

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    First off, tunneling under the current walls will continue and it tends to happen with fencing that border patrol can not observe what is happening on the other side which is a good amount of fencing. That is why those who are responsible for securing the border want a barrier that they can see through.
    Majority of the tunnels that have been discovered originated in either buildings or sewer/drainage systems; in other words areas where being able to see thru a fence would make no difference.

    Second, no barrier is going to keep everyone out but it does stop many and hinders others. Barriers are a crucial aid in assisting the border patrol in maintaining the influx coming across the border along with all their drugs, guns, etc.
    Yes, barriers do hinder those seeking refuge from poverty, war and criminal violence - not so much those committing crimes.

    Third, if the border walls were equipped with censors those tunneling under them would be detected before they made it through to the other side. Technology with a wall barriers working together would greatly aid in truly securing the border. Those who tunnel are associated with the drug cartels.
    The word you want to use is "sensors". In a border that is almost 2000 miles long, how many sensors would be needed? What would be the additional cost of purchasing, installing, maintaining and monitoring the sensors? Instead of spending $5 billion on a stupid, useless wall, spend it on upgrading the security checking systems at the ports-of-entry where commercial traffic is examined as it enters the States. Vast majority of heroin and fentanyl comes into America in cargo-carrying trucks. Cannabis was more often carried across the border by 'mules' but that traffic is no longer profitable because weed is being legalised.

    If you don't think that 300 a week are dying in this country from overdoses due to heroine alone where 90% of heroine is entering this country through Mexico then you have lost all common sense. Then there is that lethal drug fentanyl that is so dangerous. And that alone doesn't even measure all the families in this country that have been devastated over a loved one becoming addicted to the drugs. Everything associated with these drugs is costing states and the federal government a WHOLE lot of money. Enough money that could solve every damn infrastructure ill in this country.
    Then perhaps, we should be thinking about legalizing the use of these hard drugs. Those countries which have done this found that many addicts were able to stop their drug usage because of access to medical and mental care. Fewer people die, overall costs drop and the organisations which import and sell the illegal drugs are reduced in size.

    The cost to every taxpayer for every illegal who enters this country at all different means costs the taxpayers on the average 77,000 each and a very good portion of that amount is a burden on every state and they are feeling the toll.
    I do luv the figures quoted as to just how much illegals cost American taxpayers. They all come from just a couple of sources who like to play with the parameters by which they create their estimates. Undocumented immigrants pay billions of dollars in federal taxes each year, even while they aren't eligible for Social Security or Medicaid, nor do they get any tax refund after filing. FAIR's "Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration" Study Is Fatally Flawed
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #632
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-15-19 @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,521

    Re: Trump Walks Out of Border Talks, Calls Them ‘Total Waste of Time’

    Quote Originally Posted by goldkam View Post
    In the circumstance of Trump, the level of acceptance is far less than another other politician. The reaction to not getting his way is immature and privileged, compared to most other politicians.

    Yes the premise that both sides don't accept views, policies or the like is true. Its the reactions that are very different.
    No.
    And as I already said; The fault lies with them all.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #633
    Sage
    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,752

    Re: Trump Walks Out of Border Talks, Calls Them ‘Total Waste of Time’

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Majority of the tunnels that have been discovered originated in either buildings or sewer/drainage systems; in other words areas where being able to see thru a fence would make no difference.
    Yes some tunnels originate in some kind of structure close to the border. However, all the digging involved would require a vehicle such as a dump truck to haul away the dirt and other telltale signs of the activity going on. There are different types of tunnels from gopher holes to very sophisticated. But one thing they all have in common is they are used to move deadly drugs. The amount of drugs seized at the border is overwhelming yet it is just a fraction of what is getting in. When they do discover tunnels they are filled in with concrete.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...rld-monte-reel




    Yes, barriers do hinder those seeking refuge from poverty, war and criminal violence - not so much those committing crimes.
    We have laws on how a person is to seek asylum in this country and now due to feckless immigration policies have become the laughing stock of the world giving special treatment to those who break the law by entering illegally over those who seek the proper path. And your comment is false as the border patrol this past year alone apprehended thousands of known criminals.

    The word you want to use is "sensors". In a border that is almost 2000 miles long, how many sensors would be needed? What would be the additional cost of purchasing, installing, maintaining and monitoring the sensors? Instead of spending $5 billion on a stupid, useless wall, spend it on upgrading the security checking systems at the ports-of-entry where commercial traffic is examined as it enters the States. Vast majority of heroin and fentanyl comes into America in cargo-carrying trucks. Cannabis was more often carried across the border by 'mules' but that traffic is no longer profitable because weed is being legalised.
    Spell check can be a real problem at times. I have no doubt a good amount of the drugs are apprehended at the ports of entry but if someone is going to go to the trouble of building a tunnel then obviously it must be very lucrative for them to do so.

    https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...htmlstory.html




    I do luv the figures quoted as to just how much illegals cost American taxpayers. They all come from just a couple of sources who like to play with the parameters by which they create their estimates. Undocumented immigrants pay billions of dollars in federal taxes each year, even while they aren't eligible for Social Security or Medicaid, nor do they get any tax refund after filing. FAIR's "Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration" Study Is Fatally Flawed

    What is fatally flawed is not recognizing the cost of each individual state along with the federal government in the cost per illegal. The burden on the states is great. The studies I mentioned do include both. They also deduct the taxes of those working. However, the majority of illegals are not well educated and work at low paying jobs and after deducting what taxes they do pay found what they receive in welfare/services is far much greater than what they pay in taxes. Many are operating using falsified identification while a good number get paid under the table and don't pay any taxes while collecting services.

  4. #634
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-15-19 @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,521

    Re: Trump Walks Out of Border Talks, Calls Them ‘Total Waste of Time’

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Let's not forget that Trump had control of the House and the Senate for 2 years, until last week.
    Dishonesty.
    While they were certainly were Republican he certainly did not have them.

    Your commentary is like saying he had you, but you know that isn't true.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #635
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    veni, vidi, volo - now back in NC
    Last Seen
    03-12-19 @ 11:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,233

    Re: Trump Walks Out of Border Talks, Calls Them ‘Total Waste of Time’

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You said


    This thread is about building a wall, not a barrier. You implied that because they were in favor of building a barrier, their opposition to building a wall was playing politics. I merely pointed out that your argument was an apples to oranges comparison.
    Wow - seriously?
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  6. #636
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    veni, vidi, volo - now back in NC
    Last Seen
    03-12-19 @ 11:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,233

    Re: Trump Walks Out of Border Talks, Calls Them ‘Total Waste of Time’

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    You're wrong. They are trying to right the wrong.
    I disagree, but it's okay with me that we don't see it the same way, because I respect you and your opinion even when we disagree.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  7. #637
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    65,197

    Re: Trump Walks Out of Border Talks, Calls Them ‘Total Waste of Time’

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Wow - seriously?
    Yes. Seriously.

    Your argument was seriously flawed for the reason I described - a reason you have not even TRIED to refute .

    You are welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I don't have any issue with any investigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #638
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    veni, vidi, volo - now back in NC
    Last Seen
    03-12-19 @ 11:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,233

    Re: Trump Walks Out of Border Talks, Calls Them ‘Total Waste of Time’

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yes. Seriously.

    Your argument was seriously flawed for the reason I described - a reason you have not even TRIED to refute .

    You are welcome
    The technical term for your posts in this line of discussion is locum bovis stercore.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  9. #639
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    65,197

    Re: Trump Walks Out of Border Talks, Calls Them ‘Total Waste of Time’

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    The technical term for your posts in this line of discussion is locum bovis stercore.
    I see you still will not even TRY to refute my argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I don't have any issue with any investigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #640
    Sage


    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,609

    Re: Trump Walks Out of Border Talks, Calls Them ‘Total Waste of Time’

    Quote Originally Posted by Exactice View Post
    Yes Because the Ratio of 330 MILLION US Citizens per capita to 11-20million illegals its going to OBVIOUSLY out weigh the crime capita.

    https://www.debatepolitics.com/break...post1069522074 (Trump Walks Out of Border Talks, Calls Them ‘Total Waste of Time’)

    With that, in a prior POST almost everyone AGREES that a MAJORITY of illegals are NOT CRIMINALS (AFTER illegally entering our nation) As in all fairness the moment they enter the US undocumented they have committed a misdemeanor (crime) and on the second attempt it is then a felony. (Which funny. MOST MAJOR Crimes committed by an Illegal they have been caught on MULTIPLE occasions.)

    With that the action of coming to AMERICA Undocumented then entering our BORDER illegal is what sets this ALL of in the first place. The Crime/Death is AFTER they make the CHOICE to come to America Illegally.

    IF THEY CHOSE NOT TO. X amount of people would NOT be killed by illegals and X amount of children would not be trafficked or die of illness due to the trek.
    Per capita is comparing Apples to Apples, per 1000 for example , it is not comparing the whole of one to the whole of another

    The rest of your comment is speculation

    Also if you apply in this logic to illegals you would have to apply the same logic to legals. you see it's just not logical when the rubber hits the road
    "He's in love and we're all gonna die" --- Randy Rainbow
    https://www.debatepolitics.com/parti...post1069790679

Page 64 of 74 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •