Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 493

Thread: Elizabeth Warren launches exploratory committee ahead of likely 2020 presidential run

  1. #481
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    04-22-19 @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    73,892

    Re: Elizabeth Warren launches exploratory committee ahead of likely 2020 presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by TU Curmudgeon View Post
    If you want to dig out the numbers, you will find that, on a per capita basis, there are eight more NATO countries that spend more on European defence than the US does.

    To conflate the ENTIRE US defence budget with "the defence of Europe" is (quite frankly) either ignorant or deliberately dishonest (and possibly both).
    You and your per capita...

    What would be better... the USA sending up 20 fighters to stop the Russians or the Canadians sending up 10... even though "per capita" you guys supplied more fighters to NATO?

  2. #482
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    04-22-19 @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    73,892

    Re: Elizabeth Warren launches exploratory committee ahead of likely 2020 presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by TU Curmudgeon View Post
    If you want to dig out the numbers, you will find that, on a per capita basis, there are eight more NATO countries that spend more on European defence than the US does.

    To conflate the ENTIRE US defence budget with "the defence of Europe" is (quite frankly) either ignorant or deliberately dishonest (and possibly both).
    It just hit me... European nations spend more on the defense of Europe than a North American country does...

  3. #483
    Sage
    TU Curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lower Mainland of BC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    12,163

    Re: Elizabeth Warren launches exploratory committee ahead of likely 2020 presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Based on your post I would suspect that you think that less people killed means that my response stating that more people killed is incorrect when talking about total casualities...
    I was talking about RELATIVE contribution.

    Of course, that doesn't let the US come off as well as you would like it to appear, but that's OK.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    AND ...You said WWI and WWII... but you left out a pretty crucial element here in your Straw Man response... the Pacific Theater.
    You did notice that I said "During WWII the US lost around 407,300 killed.". Did you happen to notice that that was the TOTAL for both the European and Pacific Theatres?

    The US government was pretty straight forward about what contributions it wanted from the other members of the United Nations in the Pacific Theatre and that was "as little as we can get away with allowing them to have".

    PS - The American losses in the Pacific Theatre can be determined by subtracting 276,655 from 407,300 - not a single death do I disparage.

    PPS - If you were actually interested, I'd suggest that you read "Canada and the War in the Far East", but you wouldn't be interested so I won't. Naturally, not a single Canadian life lost in the Pacific (or anywhere else for that matter) counts for a pinch of snot as far as you are concerned because ONLY the United States of America had anything at all to do with the defeat of Nazi Germany.

    PPPS - Please look up "Strawman Argument" so that you can use the term correctly the next time. (HINT - The term does NOT mean "something that I do not want to hear".)

  4. #484
    Sage
    TU Curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lower Mainland of BC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    12,163

    Re: Elizabeth Warren launches exploratory committee ahead of likely 2020 presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You and your per capita...
    Yep. A small donation from a poor man is a "greater" one than a slightly larger one from a rich man.

    What would be better... the USA sending up 20 fighters to stop the Russians or the Canadians sending up 10... even though "per capita" you guys supplied more fighters to NATO?[/QUOTE]

    The Russians have a combination of 64 "Fighter" and "Attack" squadrons. The USAF has six "Fighter" and "Attack" squadrons in Europe.

    The US couldn't match the Russians even if ALL of its aircraft in Europe went up at the same time.

  5. #485
    Sage
    TU Curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lower Mainland of BC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    12,163

    Re: Elizabeth Warren launches exploratory committee ahead of likely 2020 presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It just hit me... European nations spend more on the defense of Europe than a North American country does...
    "European members of NATO spend more to defend NATO countries against the attacks that NATO is intended to defend against than non-European members of NATO spend to defend NATO countries against the attacks that NATO is intended to defend against." is actually the correct way to say what you were attempting to say.

  6. #486
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    04-22-19 @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    73,892

    Re: Elizabeth Warren launches exploratory committee ahead of likely 2020 presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by TU Curmudgeon View Post
    I was talking about RELATIVE contribution.

    Of course, that doesn't let the US come off as well as you would like it to appear, but that's OK.
    Of course... you are the one with a chip on his soldier... not me...

    You did notice that I said "During WWII the US lost around 407,300 killed.". Did you happen to notice that that was the TOTAL for both the European and Pacific Theatres?
    My point was about more things than the lives lost... that is the one thing out of 4 things that I mentioned...

    The US government was pretty straight forward about what contributions it wanted from the other members of the United Nations in the Pacific Theatre and that was "as little as we can get away with allowing them to have".
    Irrelevant...

    PS - The American losses in the Pacific Theatre can be determined by subtracting 276,655 from 407,300 - not a single death do I disparage.
    Cool...

    PPS - If you were actually interested, I'd suggest that you read "Canada and the War in the Far East", but you wouldn't be interested so I won't. Naturally, not a single Canadian life lost in the Pacific (or anywhere else for that matter) counts for a pinch of snot as far as you are concerned because ONLY the United States of America had anything at all to do with the defeat of Nazi Germany.
    of course you are wrong on so many levels... but that chip that you take personally you project onto me and act as if I am not objective... because you are not.

    I think that the British did more than anybody to help defeat the Nazis, with the Russians coming a close second. The Americans did more in the over all war BY FAR and the Canadians helped in Europe but even by per capita, far less than the Americans. Far FAR less...

    Yep. A small donation from a poor man is a "greater" one than a slightly larger one from a rich man.
    Wrong... because it depends on the outcome that is desired. A small donation of ten bucks from a teenager with a hundred bucks to a homeless shelter is cute and all but not as important as a $100,000 donation from a multi-billionaire.

    The Russians have a combination of 64 "Fighter" and "Attack" squadrons. The USAF has six "Fighter" and "Attack" squadrons in Europe.

    The US couldn't match the Russians even if ALL of its aircraft in Europe went up at the same time.
    Straw Man... again. we were talking about per capita contributions not what the Russians or Americans have.

    PPPS - Please look up "Strawman Argument" so that you can use the term correctly the next time. (HINT - The term does NOT mean "something that I do not want to hear".)
    A straw man argument is one that misrepresents a position in order to make it appear weaker than it actually is, refutes this misrepresentation of the position, and then concludes that the real position has been refuted. This, of course, is a fallacy, because the position that has been claimed to be refuted is different to that which has actually been refuted; the real target of the argument is untouched by it.

    https://www.logicalfallacies.info/ambiguity/straw-man/

    That is what you did. You misrepresented my argument and then focused in on that and thought you defeated it... when you did not.

  7. #487
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    04-22-19 @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    73,892

    Re: Elizabeth Warren launches exploratory committee ahead of likely 2020 presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by TU Curmudgeon View Post
    "European members of NATO spend more to defend NATO countries against the attacks that NATO is intended to defend against than non-European members of NATO spend to defend NATO countries against the attacks that NATO is intended to defend against." is actually the correct way to say what you were attempting to say.
    What I said is actually also correct... my my though, don't you think a lot of yourself.

  8. #488
    Sage
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,040

    Re: Elizabeth Warren launches exploratory committee ahead of likely 2020 presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    We like our Little Canadian side-kicks... they are cute enough and just so darn polite that we feel honor bound to protect them so they can frolick about.
    Nah.

    You tried taking us over a couple of hundred years ago. Failed miserably, and now you're too big of pussies to try it again. We're armed and dangerous my friend. Armed and Dangerous.

    Last edited by JustHanging; 04-15-19 at 05:54 PM.
    Jeez, did you do really do something that stupid? You were as Dumb As Donald!

  9. #489
    Educator Thingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    680

    Re: Elizabeth Warren launches exploratory committee ahead of likely 2020 presidential run

    Anyone living above the 49 parallel can’t be all that bright, 9 months of winter and 3 months of really poor sledding.

  10. #490
    Sage
    TU Curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lower Mainland of BC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    12,163

    Re: Elizabeth Warren launches exploratory committee ahead of likely 2020 presidential run

    Quote Originally Posted by JustHanging View Post
    Nah.

    You tried taking us over a couple of hundred years ago. Failed miserably, and now you're too big of pussies to try it again. We're armed and dangerous my friend. Armed and Dangerous.

    I can't decide which tastes better, Bald Eagle or Snowy Owl.

    Mind you either of them tastes better than Canada Goose or Loon, and both of them have less disgusting personal habits that Canada Goose.
    I was told that the best things for me were to eat healthy foods, walk up hills, stop smoking cigars, and cut out drinking Scotch.
    With my record, I don't deserve the best. What's second best?
    (Retirement Dinner remarks)

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •