Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Republicans scramble to ease concerns about Obamacare replacement

  1. #21
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Republicans scramble to ease concerns about Obamacare replacement

    Can I see the study that shows that 45,000 fewer people are dying every year thanks to Obamacare? Appreciate it.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #22
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,602

    Re: Republicans scramble to ease concerns about Obamacare replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    "Kinda looks like the republicans are having second thoughts on killing 22 million American citizens"

    I think you are underestimated the impact.
    Republicans kill the WORLD!!!
    "We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the ******* irony in that." - Justin Halpern

  3. #23
    Guru
    Greenbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    4,889

    Re: Republicans scramble to ease concerns about Obamacare replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Can I see the study that shows that 45,000 fewer people are dying every year thanks to Obamacare? Appreciate it.
    Most of the lives saved so far (~87,000) have been because of changes in hospital care. We're likely years away from seeing the data on the impact of the coverage expansion piece of the law, but results from first four years of the Massachusetts coverage expansions on which the ACA was modeled suggest the number could be around 17,000 few deaths per year.

  4. #24
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Republicans scramble to ease concerns about Obamacare replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Most of the lives saved so far (~87,000) have been because of changes in hospital care. We're likely years away from seeing the data on the impact of the coverage expansion piece of the law, but results from first four years of the Massachusetts coverage expansions on which the ACA was modeled suggest the number could be around 17,000 few deaths per year.
    Dr. Benjamin Sommers, the lead author and a health economist and physician at the Harvard School of Public Health, cautioned that researchers did not have individual data on the 270,000 people who had gained insurance in the state, and could not tell for sure whether it was the expansion that had driven the mortality decline.

    and

    Researchers have long debated whether having health insurance and better access to medical care saves lives, but it has been hard to construct a study to settle the issue. In 2002, the Institute of Medicine estimated that a lack of health insurance was responsible for 18,000 deaths a year in the United States. But in 2009, a researcher from the University of California found that the survival rate of uninsured people resembled that of insured people.

    There's no question that expanding healthcare for the poor or uninsured does help. But it still doesn't square with the claim that the Republicans want 22 million people dead.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #25
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,647

    Re: Republicans scramble to ease concerns about Obamacare replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I'd be interested to see the Republican plan to kill 22 million Americans.
    Two words: Death Panels.

    Republicans are bringing them back baby!

  6. #26
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Republicans scramble to ease concerns about Obamacare replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Two words: Death Panels.

    Republicans are bringing them back baby!
    Sarah Palin! I've been wondering where you went off to. Glad to see you.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #27
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,847
    Blog Entries
    22

    Re: Republicans scramble to ease concerns about Obamacare replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Donc View Post
    Kinda looks like the republicans are having second thoughts on killing 22 million American citizens…at least till they come up with a band-aid.

    <Republican leaders on Capitol Hill are scrambling to ease growing concerns among GOP lawmakers about rushing to repeal the federal health-care law before plans for a replacement take firmer shape, addressing complications to the effort to deliver on one of the party’s signature campaign promises.>
    <In the Senate, where Republicans are using a budget package to move swiftly ahead with repeal, leaders are looking at ways to adjust their plans to address the skittishness that GOP senators have voiced in recent days.>


    <Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), the third-ranking Senate Republican, told reporters Monday that GOP members of the House, Senate and the incoming administration are having ongoing conversations as they formulate a “path forward” for addressing the health-care law.>
    <“I would fully expect that a repeal vote could be followed by several proposals, many of which our members have been trying to get voted on for years. You might see this thing in a very step-by-step way as opposed to having one huge 2,700-page bill,” Thune said.>


    <The amendment was introduced by Sens. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Bill Cassidy (R-La.) and Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska). Several of them have been outspoken about their reluctance to pursue repealing the law without having put forth plans for a replacement measure.>
    <“I have great concerns that we inject a level of great uncertainty into an already uncertain environment if we don’t give people a clear indication as to what will come once we repeal,” Murkowski said Monday.>


    <Still, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said that in a conversation with President-elect Donald Trump last week, the two agreed on the need to immediately tackle replacement.>
    <“He showed willingness and openness and was interested in getting a replacement that could be passed as part of repeal,” Paul said. “Now, we’re trying to get a bill out there this week.”>
    <Meanwhile, several lawmakers have floated the idea of breaking up the replacement into a handful of smaller parts.>

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...e-replacement/
    I get so sick and tired of all the hyperbole. Republicans want to kill 22 million people, that is asinine to the max. Last I heard the plan was repeal and replace. Surely one can do better than just spout a political party's talking points. Personally, I would say stating the Republicans want to kill 22 million people, as if they are sitting down in a dark room planning on to exterminate these people ala Hitler. That doesn't even qualify as an exaggeration.

    It qualifies as political propaganda that Joseph Goebels would be proud of. Both of our major political parties indulge in this sort of thing which is one reason nothing gets done in Washington and leads to the polarization we have today. This is one reason I never have and never will belong to either of our major political parties. Neither are interested in the truth or spout facts, both play on peoples fears for their own political advantage. We have the government we deserve since very few of us will hold our political parties accountable for what they do and say. Most of us, one side or the other, will just buy into the pure political propaganda without thinking just because they belong to that party and want to believe what they say. People become puppets on a string for both political parties.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  8. #28
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,802

    Re: Republicans scramble to ease concerns about Obamacare replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I get so sick and tired of all the hyperbole. Republicans want to kill 22 million people, that is asinine to the max. Last I heard the plan was repeal and replace. Surely one can do better than just spout a political party's talking points. Personally, I would say stating the Republicans want to kill 22 million people, as if they are sitting down in a dark room planning on to exterminate these people ala Hitler. That doesn't even qualify as an exaggeration.

    It qualifies as political propaganda that Joseph Goebels would be proud of. Both of our major political parties indulge in this sort of thing which is one reason nothing gets done in Washington and leads to the polarization we have today. This is one reason I never have and never will belong to either of our major political parties. Neither are interested in the truth or spout facts, both play on peoples fears for their own political advantage. We have the government we deserve since very few of us will hold our political parties accountable for what they do and say. Most of us, one side or the other, will just buy into the pure political propaganda without thinking just because they belong to that party and want to believe what they say. People become puppets on a string for both political parties.
    But is a nice even number. Of course that isn't a net number because the Democrats want to replace them with 22 million Mexicans. Fun with hyperbole.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,945

    Re: Republicans scramble to ease concerns about Obamacare replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I get so sick and tired of all the hyperbole. Republicans want to kill 22 million people, that is asinine to the max. Last I heard the plan was repeal and replace. Surely one can do better than just spout a political party's talking points. Personally, I would say stating the Republicans want to kill 22 million people, as if they are sitting down in a dark room planning on to exterminate these people ala Hitler. That doesn't even qualify as an exaggeration.

    It qualifies as political propaganda that Joseph Goebels would be proud of. Both of our major political parties indulge in this sort of thing which is one reason nothing gets done in Washington and leads to the polarization we have today. This is one reason I never have and never will belong to either of our major political parties. Neither are interested in the truth or spout facts, both play on peoples fears for their own political advantage. We have the government we deserve since very few of us will hold our political parties accountable for what they do and say. Most of us, one side or the other, will just buy into the pure political propaganda without thinking just because they belong to that party and want to believe what they say. People become puppets on a string for both political parties.

    Pero, you make valid points. The hyperbole is over the top. But how angry should you get? Lets answer a few questions to see.

    Is the message totally asinine and baseless? Yes
    Are multiple media outlets pushing that message? No
    Are members of congress pushing that message? No
    Are large number of people repeating that message as if its fact? No


    Hey I know, answer those questions for Death panels, birth certificates or Benghazi stand down lies. I get all “yes” answers. What answers did you get? Anyhoo, I think Goebels would be more proud of propaganda that required a concerted and coordinated effort and worked. Like the ones that have all "yes" answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredUSN View Post
    and I turn down more work than I accept to avoid hiring Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    What proof is there Qaddafi ordered or financed that bombing? ......Qaddafi had the integrity to fight with his military. I don't believe he used terrorists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You claim the economy was destroyed when Bush left office

  10. #30
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,847
    Blog Entries
    22

    Re: Republicans scramble to ease concerns about Obamacare replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    But is a nice even number. Of course that isn't a net number because the Democrats want to replace them with 22 million Mexicans. Fun with hyperbole.
    LOL. Nothing like having fun. Good sense of humor.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •