Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 149

Thread: Economists React to the December Jobs Report: ‘Very Close to Full Employment’ WSJ

  1. #131
    Guru
    PIPEWRENCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,881

    Re: Economists React to the December Jobs Report: ‘Very Close to Full Employment’ WSJ

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    At times, but it depends on the source.
    When you see it first hand and you know the people whose livelihood was destroyed by these criminals you start to realize how dangerous these criminals really are. I was lucky to work in the plumbing business that requires a licensed professional. I take my hat off to the inspectors in Texas who did care and shut down jobs being bootlegged by these illegal aliens. They had the electric, gas, and water meters pulled until permits were obtained by licensed, insured, and bonded professionals.

    If you went behind these bootleggers and seen the potentially deadly situations they created because they have no idea what they are doing you would want them imprisoned.
    “When choosing the lesser of two evils, always remember, it is still an evil.”

  2. #132
    Guru
    PIPEWRENCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,881

    Re: Economists React to the December Jobs Report: ‘Very Close to Full Employment’ WSJ

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    Not on an anonymous online debate forum.
    I can give my first hand accounts and let everyone make up their mind what they believe. These illegals are a menace and a serious danger to everyone they work for. Trust me they are not licensed and do not know what they are doing. Protect yourself and always ask for a license and make sure a permit is pulled for any major work. Otherwise you may not wake up one day thanks to substandard construction which does kill people every day. These illegal aliens are notorious for not following the codes. Most don't even know the codes.
    “When choosing the lesser of two evils, always remember, it is still an evil.”

  3. #133
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hyde Park
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,811

    Re: Economists React to the December Jobs Report: ‘Very Close to Full Employment’ WSJ

    Quote Originally Posted by PIPEWRENCH View Post
    I can give my first hand accounts and let everyone make up their mind what they believe.
    People will believe what they want to believe. Some random guy on the internet making claims isn't a valid argument that will sway an intelligent and objective individual.

    These illegals are a menace and a serious danger to everyone they work for.
    Uh huh.

    Trust me they are not licensed and do not know what they are doing.
    Uh huh.

    Protect yourself and always ask for a license and make sure a permit is pulled for any major work. Otherwise you may not wake up one day thanks to substandard construction which does kill people every day. These illegal aliens are notorious for not following the codes. Most don't even know the codes.
    Cutting corners is not exclusive to foreign labor, illegal or not. This sensationalist nonsense won't fly here.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #134
    Professor

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,671

    Re: Economists React to the December Jobs Report: ‘Very Close to Full Employment’ WSJ

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    What racism?

    >>you cant point to an Obama policy that improved the economy

    I did — the ARRA. What happened that you couldn't read that?

    >>the GDP was on average the lowest of any president.

    False. As of the end of Q2, he had the same average annual growth rate as 43 — 1.76%. With things picking up in the second half of last year (3.5% in Q3 and the consensus for Q4 now above two percent), he will now edge out Bubba's well-intentioned but misguided successor.



    That depends on what kind of math you use.



    ??



    What evidence do you have that recent hires are any more overqualified than those in the past? Here's what a business survey in MN found a few months ago:

    More than three-fourths of surveyed firms report a "good match" between the education level of their employees and that which is required for their jobs. Very few firms think their workers are overqualified for their jobs, and 16 percent of firms believe their employees are underqualified. (source)

    Let's remember that there's more to employment than yer level of compensation. And as more and more people acquire higher levels of education, the labor market will become increasingly characterised by overqualified workers until the economy can adapt to provide appropriate employment opportunities.

    The percentage who had completed an associate’s or higher degree increased from 33 percent in 1995 to 46 percent in 2015. Similarly, the percentage who had completed a bachelor’s or higher degree increased from 25 percent in 1995 to 36 percent in 2015, and the percentage who had completed a master’s or higher degree increased from 5 percent in 1995 to 9 percent in 2015. (source)

    How quickly will the blessed private sector respond to this development? We'll see. And in the meantime, let's hope Frumpy can succeed in the RW effort to eliminate the federal Department of Education. Otherwise, we'll continue to be faced with facts that can easily get in the way of convenient truthiness.

    >>There's no accounting for the folks that just drop out of the job market altogether in frustration.

    False. Sad that you have such concern for yer fellow Americans while remaining ignorant of the way the labor market is analysed by the gubmint.

    >>The economy and job market is crap. That's largely why Trump won. Capiche?

    Too many voters don't know what the eff is going on around them. That's why the lying, defrauding Pig got elected. Get it?

    >>liberals will gladly and unashamedly take credit for this recent boom since the election

    Ya mean the fifteen million full-time, private-sector jobs paying average wages added since Dec 2009?

    >>despite knowing the truth that it's a repudiation of them altogether.

    It's very important to distinguish between "truthy" and "truth." Try working on that.

    >>If liberal ways worked, they wouldn't have only 28 percent of the legistlative positions and governorships in the country right now.

    Any source for that statistic? Did ya get it from the lying RW media hate machine? There's no doubt we're in the minority. We'll just continue to work hard to help people get their head out of their ass.
    In the past (pre Obama) 6% or lower unemployment meant everyone who wanted a job had one or was short term between jobs.

    Not even Obama himself claims that to be true today. The millions of Americans unemployed so long they have given up looking and are no longer counted is the biggest single reason for today’s 4some% U3 unemployment.

    The fact is the American worker has done nothing but suffer because of Obama.

    Obamacare turning single full time jobs into mulit part time jobs is not job creation.

  5. #135
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,717

    Re: Economists React to the December Jobs Report: ‘Very Close to Full Employment’ WSJ

    Quote Originally Posted by Casca XV View Post
    In the past (pre Obama) 6% or lower unemployment meant everyone who wanted a job had one or was short term between jobs.
    The number has never been agreed. And just wanting a job without doing anything about it has never been part of the equation. There are 159,640,000 people doing something about work. 7,529,000 are unsuccessful.

    The millions of Americans unemployed so long they have given up looking and are no longer counted is the biggest single reason for today’s 4some% U3 unemployment.
    Millions? Can you provide any evidence at all that there are millions who specifically "gave up" looking (as opposed to never having looked, stopped looking for some other reason, or are unable to work)? 94% of those not working and not looking for work don't want a job. https://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cpseea38.htm


    Obamacare turning single full time jobs into mulit part time jobs is not job creation.
    The number of people working multiple part time jobs has gone up by 255,000 since Obamacare was enacted in March 2010. Full time employment has gone up 13,086,000 since then.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  6. #136
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:37 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,236

    Re: Economists React to the December Jobs Report: ‘Very Close to Full Employment’ WSJ

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    A point? So unless something is a problem, it doesn't make sense to comment on it? And when I do comment on it, I'm somehow making a "big deal" out of it?

    >>By any measure, an unnecessary statement by it's own point.

    "By its own point"? I don't know what you mean, but I assume yer continuing this nonsense about me somehow overreacting to yer rather strangely worded enquiries where you ask, "Isn't x true?" and "Doesn't y indicate z?," and then say you haven't expressed any belief in x or z.

    >>Argue the points of the subject at hand.

    I have. I've asked for evidence that immigration increases unemployment and/or lowers wages.

    >>Go ahead and granulate.

    What does that mean here? Yer not suggesting that I should go all to pieces, are you? ☺

    >>You are straying from a subject where we are most likely in greatest agreement.

    So do you agree that there doesn't seem to be any evidence indicating that immigration increases unemployment and/or lowers wages?

    >>and argue for what, I don't know.

    Oh, I argue in my sleep. I argue with myself all the time, and I see to it that I always win!

    >>Come back to the questions at hand.

    It seems to me we got sidetracked when you started asking why I was assuming you have views that logically follow from statements you made.

    >>I really don't think there is much argument there.

    Sounds good.



    I've posted my name, but I suppose no one's interested in my wonderful collection of anecdotal evidence. E.g., did you know that coonhounds are God's greatest creation and that life is really just one &^^%#$^&* after another?

    “A point? So unless something is a problem, it doesn't make sense to comment on it?”

    No.

    “ And when I do comment on it, I'm somehow making a "big deal" out of it?”

    In this case, relatively speaking, yes.

    “"By its own point"? I don't know what you mean, but I assume yer continuing this nonsense about me somehow overreacting to yer rather strangely worded enquiries where you ask, "Isn't x true?" and "Doesn't y indicate z?," and then say you haven't expressed any belief in x or z.”

    If I said “Wouldn’t eating less beef reduce carbon emissions?” That does not mean I have taken the position that less beef consumption would mean fewer cattle grown means fewer cow farts and thus less carbon emission. Supreme Court Justice often ask such questions where for one to conclude it gives away their opinion would be a misread. Just because I ask, "Isn't x true?" and "Doesn't y indicate z?," does NOT mean I have given my belief one way or the other in x or z. I’m asking questions to gain more information to form my opinion and make a decision on same. Do you often go around telling people what they think then say they’re wrong when they disagree?

    “>> Argue the points of the subject at hand.

    “I have. I've asked for evidence that immigration increases unemployment and/or lowers wages.”
    Indeed. And, in this case, I agreed with you.

    >> Go ahead and granulate.

    “What does that mean here? Yer not suggesting that I should go all to pieces, are you? ☺”

    No, Smiley, not at all. It just means go ahead and be as granular as you like, if that serves for better debate/discussion.

    >> You are straying from a subject where we are most likely in greatest agreement.

    “So do you agree that there doesn't seem to be any evidence indicating that immigration increases unemployment and/or lowers wages?”

    You know, I could be missing something here, but I thought I already agreed with you on this. More so than doesn’t “seem”, there just is no evidence known. Unemployment went up regardless of immigration. When unemployment started to go down, immigration was still on the way up until recently. Even with our nearing “full employment”, immigration is still on its way down and doesn’t even have any “common sense” 1 + 1 logic that immigration will cause any increase in unemployment.

    >> and argue for what, I don't know.

    “Oh, I argue in my sleep. I argue with myself all the time, and I see to it that I always win! ”

    Yup. I love playing Devil’s Advocate.

    >> Come back to the questions at hand.

    “It seems to me we got sidetracked when you started asking why I was assuming you have views that logically follow from statements you made.”

    I agree. However, I’m not going to let go of when I am told what I’m thinking and said to be wrong when I disagree. Regardless of spin, there is no interpretation of what I posed that can be conclusively said is my opinion of the matter. I’m asking questions for more information that may have bearing on my decision of what my opinion will be.

    >> I really don't think there is much argument there.

    “Sounds good.”

    Yup.

  7. #137
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,236

    Re: Economists React to the December Jobs Report: ‘Very Close to Full Employment’ WSJ

    Quote Originally Posted by Casca XV View Post
    The millions of Americans unemployed so long they have given up looking and are no longer counted is the biggest single reason for today’s 4some% U3 unemployment.
    Yeah, not so much.

    The "shadow economy" - workers who want a job, but have quit actively looking for one -- is actually a small percentage of the people who have quit the labor force. Most people who left the workforce retired, or are spending more time in school, or are taking care of a family member.

    Capture.jpg


    The fact is the American worker has done nothing but suffer because of Obama.
    Yeah, not so much. Or, y'know, not at all.

    The recession was relatively mild for everyone who had a college education. It was bad for those who only had a high school education, and a disaster for those who did not finish high school:




    Obamacare turning single full time jobs into mulit part time jobs is not job creation.
    Yeah, thing is? That didn't happen.

    Donald Trump wrongly claims there are many more part-time jobs because of health care law | PolitiFact Arizona


    In fact, it doesn't seem like there was a major shift to part-time work.


  8. #138
    Sage
    DA60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,386

    Re: Economists React to the December Jobs Report: ‘Very Close to Full Employment’ WSJ

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    Yes, we all know about the BLS "statistics" that say the unemployment rate is "very low".

    But why is Sears and K-Mart -- cheap-price stores -- closing so many stores if there are supposedly so many employed Americans with money to spend?

    And why is Macy's -- medium-price stores -- closing so many of their stores now if there are supposedly so many employed Americans with money to spend?

    And, of course, why is the left so adamant that the minimum wage be raised and shored up, you know, the minimum wage, the wage paid to part-time considerably less than 40-hours/week employees?

    Could it be that the vast majority of the new jobs under Obama paid considerably less money than the old job the person previously had?

    Could it be that the vast majority of the new jobs under Obama were .. wait for it .. .. part-time jobs?

    Hmmmm ...


    The Ratio of Part-Time Employed Remains High, But Improving - dshort - Advisor Perspectives

    This chart proves that the 'recovery' was a part time one.

    Even now, despite MASSIVE government stimulus with huge deficits, billions in QE and ZIRP...the economy still has a ratio of part time to full time that is FAR worse than the norms before the Great Recession.

    This is what Krugmanites do not understand...stimuli does NOT build long term, solid jobs. It builds short term, temp/part time jobs because it invites short term thinking as the economy becomes completely dependant on government stimulation.
    THis should be obvious to them. BUt it is not.

    Instead, they ignore the data they do not like, peddle out the BLS, government controlled/manipulated data that even the Fed no longer values. And they learn nothing.

    If you do not have an open mind about the economy, you learn nothing and are doomed to continue the same mistakes.
    Even now, they will look atthe about chart and instead of learning from it, they will probably try and find some way to either discredit it, ignore it or trundle out some meaningless statistic that they think counters it. They have factual data staring them square in the face and they simple refuse to learn by it. They just put their fingers in their ears, close their eyes and call out 'Obama is right, Obama is right, Obama is right.'.


    'Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

    Albert Einstein
    Last edited by DA60; 01-12-17 at 01:06 PM.
    'What kind of sick and twisted toy factory is this?'
    'We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away.'
    "Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

  9. #139
    Sage
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    8,681

    Re: Economists React to the December Jobs Report: ‘Very Close to Full Employment’ WSJ

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post


    The Ratio of Part-Time Employed Remains High, But Improving - dshort - Advisor Perspectives

    This chart proves that the 'recovery' was a part time one.

    Even now, despite MASSIVE government stimulus with huge deficits, billions in QE and ZIRP...the economy still has a ratio of part time to full time that is FAR worse than the norms before the Great Recession.

    This is what Krugmanites do not understand...stimuli does NOT build long term, solid jobs. It builds short term, temp/part time jobs because it invites short term thinking as the economy becomes completely dependant on government stimulation.
    THis should be obvious to them. BUt it is not.

    Instead, they ignore the data they do not like, peddle out the BLS, government controlled/manipulated data that even the Fed no longer values. And they learn nothing.

    If you do not have an open mind about the economy, you learn nothing and are doomed to continue the same mistakes.


    'Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

    Albert Einstein
    I don't believe you are reading the chart correctly.... it is a bit of an odd chart. But, if you look, full time employment is now 82% compared to 83% at the start of the recession. I would say that is full recovery.

    BTW.... a keysesian stimulus is just that, a stimulus. It is analogous of a spark plug to an engine, it does not build long term things, it merely restores confidence to the economy so that the private sector is willing to invest.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 01-12-17 at 01:08 PM.
    The ALT GOP
    Now Science Free, with new ALT-FACTS

  10. #140
    Sage
    DA60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,386

    Re: Economists React to the December Jobs Report: ‘Very Close to Full Employment’ WSJ

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    I don't believe you are reading the chart correctly.... it is a bit of an odd chart. But, if you look, full time employment is now 82% compared to 83% at the start of the recession. I would say that is full recovery.

    BTW.... a keysesian stimulus is just that, a stimulus. It is analogous of a spark plug to an engine, it does not build long term things, it merely restores confidence to the economy so that the private sector is willing to invest.
    I do not think you read what I typed.

    a) please look at the chart...full time to part time employment - despite 8+ years of MASSIVE government/Fed stimulus - even now is still nowhere near the ratio norm before the Great Recession. Plus, if you look closely, the ratio is getting worse lately - which suggests the ratio is as good as it is going to get under this 'recovery system'.

    b) I said nothing of Keynes or Keynesianism. I said 'Krugmanites'.
    Last edited by DA60; 01-12-17 at 01:17 PM.
    'What kind of sick and twisted toy factory is this?'
    'We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away.'
    "Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •