Blog Comments

  1. Kyle Phoenix's Avatar
    [shouldn't have posted so just ignore this.]
  2. Serenity's Avatar
    Moderator's Warning:
    I suggest that you read the forum rules again that also apply to DP Blogs. This blog is now under mod review and ALL posts are still subject to moderation. This blog is unable to be closed, only deleted or edited and that will not be happening until the review has been finalised. Please do not post any further in this blog.
  3. eon's Avatar
    There should be a higher level of open-mindedness when entering the forum as opposed to the basement. This open-mindedness leads to a level of discourse that includes more meaningful dialog and less nonsensical memes.
  4. joko104's Avatar
    Captain Adverse hit the nail on the head.
    Updated 06-28-20 at 10:23 PM by joko104
  5. joko104's Avatar
    delete
    Updated 06-28-20 at 07:44 PM by joko104
  6. Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse
    What else to expect from a Basement Moderator than a perfect example of exactly the kind of thing discussed in the Blog.

    Thank you, your example is much appreciated. :
    Translation = Please donít challenge my beliefs you meanie poo.
  7. Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman
    As usual, Captain Adverse self pity party that everyone is a meanie poo when in reality you know how a smart person is supposed to sound like, but the actual contents of your argument are embarrassing levels of trash arguments you are willing to go down to in order to what is 90% of the time, indefensible words and actions by the President.

    You whine that people arenít fair Enough to him, that they arenít respectful enough to him etc.

    This entire post is yet another example of your embarrassing, embarrassing level of partisan victim mentality employed usually, to defend one of the worst, upon worst, upon worst presidents there has ever been.
    What else to expect from a Basement Moderator than a perfect example of exactly the kind of thing discussed in the Blog.

    Thank you, your example is much appreciated. :
    Updated 06-27-20 at 12:10 AM by Captain Adverse
  8. Jetboogieman's Avatar
    As usual, Captain Adverse self pity party that everyone is a meanie poo when in reality you know how a smart person is supposed to sound like, but the actual contents of your argument are embarrassing levels of trash arguments you are willing to go down to in order to what is 90% of the time, indefensible words and actions by the President.

    You whine that people aren’t fair Enough to him, that they aren’t respectful enough to him etc.

    This entire post is yet another example of your embarrassing, embarrassing level of partisan victim mentality employed usually, to defend one of the worst, upon worst, upon worst presidents there has ever been.
  9. Metanoia's Avatar
    Part of that is my belief that the Republican Party has been emasculated. There was a very recent time when they upheld certain principles but they now are forced to swallow things that formerly would have been abhorrent to them.
  10. Metanoia's Avatar
    A very interesting post...thank you. You present what appears to be an almost insoluble problem...especially with a 2 party system. It always seems to be cast as good vs. evil...there is no genuine impetus or likelihood of compromise. I have suggestions which everyone can poke holes in...

    The first thing...parties could reclaim their parties by vetting potential candidates...maybe to a set number number(4-6 ?).let these be the ones eligible for primaries. Secondly do as some other countries do and mandate equal and free air time.

    If so much of politics is populated with those from the law profession surely they would be capable of employing reason. I could vastly elaborate on this but I offer these as thoughts.
  11. Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swing_voter
    If Media Bias/Fact Check - Search and Learn the Bias of News Media says the source is known for "conspiracy" and "pseudo science" and has failed many fact checks, I think it helps the community to point that out. Why trust a post when it's based on such a weak foundation?

    Should people trust RT, Russia Times, as a source? No. And there's worse online news sources out there than RT.
    You raise a valid question.

    However, as I mentioned in the blog, I have no problem with anyone pointing out the lean of the source itself. But that does not automatically eliminate either the value of the information or the importance of responding to the argument anyway.

    Arguably many citations come from sources like CNN, VOX, Huffington Post, etc., all of which are Left-Leaning per MediaBias; as well as Fox News, The Federalist, Washington Examiner, etc., all of which are Right-Leaning per MediaBias. Then there are all the others in-between.

    Hopefully you've seen how I usually respond to these and other sources anyway. By going into the story itself and either pointing out the flaws in the report, AND/OR acknowledging the valid points and arguing the merits.

    What I strive not to do is attack the member presenting the message, nor simply attack the source without pointing out those flaws in the report that make the message itself invalid. That is what I am asking for people to consider.
    Updated 06-25-20 at 01:21 PM by Captain Adverse
  12. swing_voter's Avatar
    If Media Bias/Fact Check - Search and Learn the Bias of News Media says the source is known for "conspiracy" and "pseudo science" and has failed many fact checks, I think it helps the community to point that out. Why trust a post when it's based on such a weak foundation?

    Should people trust RT, Russia Times, as a source? No. And there's worse online news sources out there than RT.
  13. RetiredUSN's Avatar
    You are a "live and let live" sort of person like myself.

    I agree with most of your opinions.

    I almost wish we had Bill Clinton back again, because the past 3 have been shipwrecks.
  14. Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by <alt>doxygen
    I read your list a few times. I have about 2 pretty minor quibbles with your positions, but it otherwise reads a lot like something I could have written myself.

    I obviously disagree with you regarding the Trump administration, but I am completely opposed to moves to impeach Trump at this point in time. That's in spite of the fact that I think Trump is dangerous and I oppose much of what he has done and most of those he's chosen to bring into his administration. If he commits some offense that warrants impeachment, then and only then should that happen. Trump was duly elected via our electoral system.
    Thanks for the comment.

    If Trump is found to have committed "high crimes and misdemeanors" in the performance of his office, then impeachment is justifiable and I would have no problem with it either.

    However, I do not support witch hunts based on an irrational and emotional response on the part of those whose side lost an election. They were calling for impeachment from day one after the election in November.

    I voted for Al Gore and thought Bush Jr. could have lost due to some chicanery in Florida...but when SCOTUS shut that down? It was good enough for me.

    I still didn't like Bush Jr. as President since I considered him a puppet of Dick Cheney and the oil interests, and I opposed the Patriot Act and the war in Afghaniztan and Iraq.

    Even so, he was still the President of the USA and that meant MY President for good or ill while he held office.
    Updated 08-27-17 at 04:44 PM by Captain Adverse
  15. <alt>doxygen's Avatar
    I read your list a few times. I have about 2 pretty minor quibbles with your positions, but it otherwise reads a lot like something I could have written myself.

    I obviously disagree with you regarding the Trump administration, but I am completely opposed to moves to impeach Trump at this point in time. That's in spite of the fact that I think Trump is dangerous and I oppose much of what he has done and most of those he's chosen to bring into his administration. If he commits some offense that warrants impeachment, then and only then should that happen. Trump was duly elected via our electoral system.
  16. Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDaedalus
    I agree with you on most points, especially the futility of the war on drugs.

    But I can't imagine why you would support Trump if you hold these views. (Do you?)
    Whatever nonsense Trump says he's an interventionist. You don't pick a guy named "mad dog" and focus on increased military spending if you don't want to intervene. He's already intervened in Syria more so than Obama and he has committed us to an endless occupation of Afghanistan.

    I don't understand your 2nd Amendment position. If the constitution allows us the same arms as soldiers, why can't I buy hand grenades, shoulder mounted rocket launchers or tanks? If you agree that these pose safety concerns then you agree on limits to the 2nd Amendment for public safety, right?

    Oh, and you left out the most important political position. Economics. I'm guessing you're one of those irrationally impractical libertarians.
    I left out a lot of things, since I was actually citing my "Hi, I'm new" post back in 2013 shortly after I became a member. You only get 5,000 total characters.

    People seldom agree on everything. Some people believe more strongly than others on certain issues, while agreeing with or sharing a complete disinterest on other issues.

    IMO making a conscious effort to separate and isolate those things we disagree on from the rest, and not letting them totally color our perspective gives people the opportunity to cooperate and co-exist.

    As for my support of Trump? There are things about his Administration I don't agree with, but there are other things I do agree with. I voted for him with a solid knowledge of who he was (I lived in NYC for 1/4 of my life) and who his opponent was. I support him because in my honest opinion the vicious and dishonest tactics used to discredit him during the campaign period are directly responsible for creating this post-election social nightmare we are seeing played out in the media.

    Not him.

    That at no time was he given the fair chance to do his job, and succeed or fail on actual issues. Impeachment by any means necessary was the cry from day one, and has not let up to this date.

    I have an innate sense of fair play, and I don't believe certain people have been playing fair on this issue at all.

    Most of all, I feel this kind of banana republic politicking is a dangerous threat to our society and so I will support the system that elected him because I believe in it's value and don't want to see our nation torn apart.
    Updated 08-25-17 at 01:49 AM by Captain Adverse
  17. Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlNate
    Why am I always fighting with you...I agree with almost everything you've said here. Maybe it's American 1st amendment definition vs. Canadian Freedom of Speech definition. Or maybe it's that damn coffee drinking emoticon...I always feel like you're telling me to f-off with it. :P

    Regardless, I'm reading this and feeling like we'd be on the same team for most of it....which has left me uneasy. See ya around...
    It's the "damn coffee drinking emoticon!"

    As I've said to other's people, we actually have more in common with each other than preferences and prejudices make us think.

    I've lived all over this country (USA) and also overseas, and I have found common cause with many people who thought differently.

    I can strongly disagree on some things, but I've also learned over time not to allow that to close my mind or blind it with hate.

    So, agree to disagree and engage in friendly debate and it's all good.
    Updated 08-28-17 at 08:50 PM by Captain Adverse
  18. Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram
    Like others have said, I definitely respect your consistency here, and I can't think of a time you've said anything that goes against your stated positions here. Interestingly, even though I know we differ on how we see some things, like our President, I find myself agreeing with a strong majority of what you've posted here. Maybe the difference comes from economic issues or elsewhere.
    Thank you.

    Everyone is different. People develop their opinions and political positions over time, picking up via personal experiences and then keeping or discarding them via personal preferences.

    But I find that people usually have more in common with each other than they think. Recognition of this allows us to agree and disagree while hopefully still being able to tolerate each other.
  19. SonOfDaedalus's Avatar
    I agree with you on most points, especially the futility of the war on drugs.

    But I can't imagine why you would support Trump if you hold these views. (Do you?)
    Whatever nonsense Trump says he's an interventionist. You don't pick a guy named "mad dog" and focus on increased military spending if you don't want to intervene. He's already intervened in Syria more so than Obama and he has committed us to an endless occupation of Afghanistan.

    I don't understand your 2nd Amendment position. If the constitution allows us the same arms as soldiers, why can't I buy hand grenades, shoulder mounted rocket launchers or tanks? If you agree that these pose safety concerns then you agree on limits to the 2nd Amendment for public safety, right?

    Oh, and you left out the most important political position. Economics. I'm guessing you're one of those irrationally impractical libertarians.
  20. OlNate's Avatar
    Why am I always fighting with you...I agree with almost everything you've said here. Maybe it's American 1st amendment definition vs. Canadian Freedom of Speech definition. Or maybe it's that damn coffee drinking emoticon...I always feel like you're telling me to f-off with it. :P

    Regardless, I'm reading this and feeling like we'd be on the same team for most of it....which has left me uneasy. See ya around...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast