Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: 101 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List by Sharyl Attkisson

  1. #51
    Professor
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,528

    Re: 101 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List by Sharyl Attkisson

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFitz View Post
    Donít bother.

    Itís bound to be misleading, false, or both.

    Atkinson is a right wing trash media darling and her screeds get circulated and cribbed all over the likes of American Stinker,the Hill, and the rest of Trump worship media.
    Are you talking about CNN?

  2. #52
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,137

    Re: 101 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List by Sharyl Attkisson

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So what is the error rate, and why isn't it good? I know, actual content is hard, but give it a try!
    0.01% constitutes a near perfect record. It isn't near perfect--witness the more than 100 major gaffes cited in the OP--and it isn't good. Stop trying to BS your way through a discussion.

  3. #53
    Global Moderator
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    100,788
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: 101 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List by Sharyl Attkisson

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay59 View Post
    0.01% constitutes a near perfect record. It isn't near perfect--witness the more than 100 major gaffes cited in the OP--and it isn't good. Stop trying to BS your way through a discussion.
    Do you not know how numbers work? And you clearly have not actually looked at the list. Many/most could hardly be called major.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  4. #54
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,137

    Re: 101 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List by Sharyl Attkisson

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Do you not know how numbers work? And you clearly have not actually looked at the list. Many/most could hardly be called major.
    Bachelors in Mathematics. Why do you ask?

    I did look at the list, which is why I chose that term.

  5. #55
    Global Moderator
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    100,788
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: 101 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List by Sharyl Attkisson

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay59 View Post
    Bachelors in Mathematics. Why do you ask?
    Then you should understand where one hundredth of one percent comes from.

    I did look at the list, which is why I chose that term.
    Date on photo wrong. Missing "opinion" label. Referring to trump's daughter as his wife. And so on and so forth.

    You have yet to show any error on my part, despite your claim. Would you care to try again, maybe this time with actual facts?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  6. #56
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,137

    Re: 101 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List by Sharyl Attkisson

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Then you should understand where one hundredth of one percent comes from. Date on photo wrong. Missing "opinion" label. Referring to trump's daughter as his wife. And so on and so forth. You have yet to show any error on my part, despite your claim. Would you care to try again, maybe this time with actual facts?
    So I take it you know why it 0.01% is inappropriate.

    Some of the so called minor things are pretty major. A child behind a chain link fence, separated from her parents, was taken in 2014, though the story blames the Trump administration. Not at all minor.

  7. #57
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,618

    Re: 101 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List by Sharyl Attkisson

    Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    With regard to criminal behavior, lets start with NBC Dateline, November 17, 1992, with an episode titled "Waiting to Explode" that litteraly cost Chevrolet millions:
    NBC Caught Lying About Chevrolet Trucks Exploding

    ABC pulled the same deliberate lies 14 years earlier with the Ford Pinto, which also cost Ford multiple millions in a forced recall that should never have happened. Both ABC and NBC should be sued into oblivion.

    Now lets get into deliberate election fraud.
    ABC, CBS Call Races Before Pollsí Closing
    After Rigging Elections, U.S. Media Comprised of 96% Democrats Deny Existence of Voter Fraud

    The US media is without a doubt the enemy of the people, and has been for decades, and that is a fact. I understand the you are a strong advocate for the criminal leftist media, you are a self-proclaimed progressive after all, and the media are 96% registered Democrats. So you will deliberately lie for them because that is what leftists do. They have no honor or integrity, that much is very obvious.
    This is an improvement. You actually put something substantive on the table that we can talk about.

    1) So you had to go back 30 years to find something that has your dander up. Yes, NBC got a bit overzealous.... and, were sued as a result. They settled the suit, apologized and took corrective action.

    NBC Admits It Rigged Crash, Settles GM Suit - Los Angeles Times

    A single good example. But its one item (of hundreds of thousands) and 30 years ago.

    ....OK, it seems I have to make two posts to finish this answer...

    Donald J. Trump, Franchisee
    Member of the Vladimir Putin Franchise System
    All dictatorships are locally owned and operated




  8. #58
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,618

    Re: 101 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List by Sharyl Attkisson

    ....continued from above...

    2) "deliberate election fraud" Not sure what your point is here. The first article is about networks calling races before polls are closed. What does that have to do with election fraud? You do realize networks, even today, call races before all the votes are counted? They make calls based upon statistical sampling. The only thing they no longer do, out of courtesy for the electorate, is call the race before the polls are closed, even though they are in a position to do so accurately. Next time we have a presidential election, you will note that the networks call the results in half the states the minute the polls are closed. That is not a fraud, its math. This is not an example of voter fraud, but perhaps some ignorance on your part of how this works.

    As to the second article, I did ROTFL at you using a cite from Canada Free Press to call out other aspects of the media as being untrustworthy. If that ain't the "pot doin' some callin'" I don't know what is. MediaBiasFactCheck rates the Canada Free Press as a Questionable source / conspiracy promoter, as follows:

    Canada Free Press - Media Bias/Fact Check

    from cite: ".....Canada Free Press is an overtly Christian, extreme right website that peddles conspiracy theories such as Obama being an Islamic Terrorist and 9/11 as an inside job. They also promote pseudoscience.....

    Canada Free Press routinely uses strong loaded wording that always favor the right such as this: New Poll Results Freaking out Democrats. When it comes to sourcing they favor right biased sources and occasionally use sources that we have rated as Questionable.
    A factual search reveals numerous failed fact checks.
    Overall, we rate Canada Free Press Questionable based on extreme right wing bias, promotion of conspiracies and numerous false claims. (10/2/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 9/26/2019)..."


    Canada Free Press is political porn: not real news, just something to stroke you. In essence, whatever they have to say isn't generally worth hearing. Don't read that stuff, it will turn your mind to mush.

    This article seemed to take issue with Democrats calling out the fraudulent activity in the North Carolina congressional race as some type of hypocrisy. Its not. When we do have fraudulent activity in elections, its usually around issues of voter suppression, not fake voters. Those that believe there is rampant voter fraud are quick to tell us there a people that are voting that should not be voting; not people not having their votes counted. In this particular case, the issue was about people not having their votes counted. The Canada Free Press, because its political porn, did a number of conflating the story around the word fraud.... and got your dander up, even though this activity is not the type of election fraud that far too many conservatives assert is happening when there is no real evidence thereof.

    So, other than a single cite for something that happened 30 years ago, I am afraid that you didn't make a case that the news should not be trusted. As to my point, Sharryl Attkisson, who is trying to build a case along the same lines also failed miserably in the endeavor as well. People like to make the claim that MSM news is fake, but they really can't do much more than a handle few of anecdotes to back it up. Anecdotes are not proof unless you are arguing ALL or NONE, which is not what we are doing.

    So, nice attempt ... but no cigar. You have to do much, much better to make your point.

    Donald J. Trump, Franchisee
    Member of the Vladimir Putin Franchise System
    All dictatorships are locally owned and operated




  9. #59
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,618

    Re: 101 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List by Sharyl Attkisson

    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Claiming that I have no substance when you lack just as much of your own, really isn't doing much for you at this point.

    Then again, if there was a fully comprehensive list I doubt you'd actually look, if you bitching about this simple drop in the bucket is any indication.

    Then again
    The media just can't stop lying about Trump | TheHill

    Page Not Found - Yellowhammer News |
    Yellowhammer News


    Inside the media's relentless crusade to destroy President Trump

    And here, some introspection on the democrats as well. Though I still don't think that you really care.
    Scott Jennings: Democrats lie and the media lets them

    However I will keep a hold of that "proof or nothing" mentality that you so willing tout. Because don't act like I haven't notice that you may be willing to hold someone like myself to such a standard. But I doubt that you could even imagine doing so for yourself.

    Educated guesses and all that.
    OK, now we are getting somewhere. You should have posted this in the first place. and, I do read what people post and the underlying cites. I use debate to sharpen my understanding of things, not to hide. Obviously you haven't read too many of posts, as you would see that I have cites to back up most assertions I make.

    So, these were a good read. While they provide some foundation for your thoughts here, they do not convey your hyperbolic statement that all the lies of the media would bring down the server. No, they simply illustrate some of the frustrations that some on the right have with some of the stories in the news. The overall problem with your cites, particularly the last one is they are vague. They speak more from hyperbole than substance, with the Scott Jennings particularly so to the point of being useless. They Jackhammer link did not work, so no comment there.

    The excerpts from Kimberly Strassel's book were interesting. She is a respected journalist. She is a little too right-wing and conspiratorial for my taste, but not a wackadoo. That was a good read. We could have an interesting debate just around that. Again, she takes issue with the origins of the Russia investigation, some of her points were refuted yesterday with the IG report.

    The Hill article was also an interesting read, though a bit trite. Lott was quibbling about lies ascribed to Trump that he said weren't really lies, rather challenging them as lies are the lie. Sorry, but I don't buy that logic. The problem with Trump isn't necessarily his outright lies, though there are plenty, its is reckless disregard for truth. He just says stuff, whether true or not. So, even when Trump gets it half-right, its often by coincidence rather than design. If you have a regardless disregard for the truth, then getting it right isn't really getting it right. I think Lott was barking up the wrong tree on this one.

    Thanks for the reads. I don't think it at all proved your point. Of course, if you went to a toned-down version of "the list of media mistakes and lies would crash a server", to "don't believe everything you read", you may have something here.

    Donald J. Trump, Franchisee
    Member of the Vladimir Putin Franchise System
    All dictatorships are locally owned and operated




Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •