Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 183

Thread: Advertisers Flee As Tucker Goes on Vacation

  1. #81
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Seen
    10-03-19 @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,648

    Re: Advertisers Flee As Tucker Goes on Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by bongsaway View Post
    I have to laugh in disgust when I see the my pillow guy on tv with his cross around his neck. First glen beck went off the deep end, then old what's his name whom I used to enjoy and now tucker. Is it a virus?
    If you watch "the loudest voice" maybe Roger, their leader set the tone for female abuse

  2. #82
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,494

    Re: Advertisers Flee As Tucker Goes on Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    The only thing on your list that is even remotely racist would be the comment about not wanting blacks as accountants. Did he say that 30 years ago? I have no idea.
    So spreading false info on black white crime is motivated by what? What motivated him to seek to ban all one billion Muslims? Would he have done the same with the Irish back in the day of IRA terror if he was British PM? Why would he lie about Syrian refugee processing? Why would he offer no stats, no info on Mexico sending us rapists at a time when illegal immigration was down? I donít know or care if he is racist, but he appeals to bigotry repeatedly.

  3. #83
    Classical Liberal Sage
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    12,148
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Advertisers Flee As Tucker Goes on Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by OlNate View Post
    But Cap'n… Wouldn't this effort constitute freedom of expression on the part of those organizing the boycott? They're not trashing campuses, they're not doxing anyone, they're not engaging in violence. As far as I can tell, they're not breaking any laws... How does 1A actually work? Is it only satisfied if the speech can be monetized?

    No point to make at this point...I'm trying to understand your point of view, understanding that we probably aren't going to change each others minds...again...hehe...
    Of course it is freedom of speech.

    However, IMHO "threatening someone (or some business)" with a negative action in order to stifle the expression of others, as opposed to simply doing it in response? That is what bother's me.

    For example, I used to use Gillette products. I had been since I first had to shave way back in my Army days. I stopped cold after watching their recent advertising campaign regarding toxic masculinity. I didn't "threaten" to do it, I actually voted with my wallet.

    It might seem to be splitting hairs, but it seems to me such acts are similar to toxic bullying. Like doxing someone knowing that it will result in large numbers of people who will use that information to threaten, verbally assault, denigrate, etc.. Targeting them for harassment or worse.

    It bothers me because it often leads to "crusades," and it is almost impossible to control the actions and reactions of individuals once started. It is one thing to protest, vote with one's wallet or feet, and quite another to compel silence because you disagree with their expression.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 08-09-19 at 03:04 PM.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  4. #84
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    13,612

    Re: Advertisers Flee As Tucker Goes on Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Sure, leftwingers are assuming white supremacy behind everything including shootings, yet this guy in Dayton gets almost no press. Could it be because he happens to be a leftwinger who hates Trump? White supremacy is the new Democrat buzzword these days. They've been wearing out "racism" so I guess they're changing things up.
    Ok...thanks for the explanation. I always find I have to read your posts like I'm standing against a hurricane....hehe... I'm going to try not to be either outraged or flippant in this response...let's see how that works for me...hehe...

    I'm a left-winger...I don't think white supremacy is the sole reason for mass shootings, and I don't think white supremacy is the sole domain of the right, nor do I believe all conservatives are white supremacists. For whatever that's worth. And I would suggest I'm far from alone in this position.

    But...you guys do seem to have a problem down there with it, and a lot of the rhetoric that we hear quoted by the media is pretty toxic. I would be one to condemn it wherever it's coming from, but I'm a bit removed from this crazy polarization / tribalism thing you guys have going on down there, that tends to result in making hypocrites of both sides, quite often.

    I think downplaying white supremacy, or racism, whatever word one wishes to use, is the wrong thing to do. I think there are a large number of Americans who would be more comfortable downplaying it, but I think there are also a lot of Americans who are impacted negatively because of it, who wish they could downplay it, but can't, because it's affecting their own life, or the lives of loved ones.

    Wouldn't it be nice if the issue could be taken seriously, without generalizing, and without partisan assignment. By making it a partisan issue, and by engaging in generalization, unfortunately the right comes out ahead with the most examples of it, made so much worse by the things their chosen leader says and does, either intentionally, or like a drunk uncle. It seems easy to blame the left for this, until you consider all the times the right has done the exact same thing, if on different issues, to the left. This, if nothing else, both sides have completely in common.

    So, I hear what you're saying...but I don't have any answers for you, you guys (Americans) have created a very very complicated situation down there. I can only look at this incident, and say if they are breaking no laws, then this is 1A at work, not being violated. You guys (Americans) made it a free for all...seems a bit silly to complain about it now.
    Life's too short...

  5. #85
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    13,612

    Re: Advertisers Flee As Tucker Goes on Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Of course it is freedom of speech.

    However, IMHO "threatening someone (or some business)" with a negative action in order to stifle the expression of others, as opposed to simply doing it in response? That is what bother's me.

    For example, I used to use Gillette products. I had been since I first had to shave way back in my Army days. I stopped cold after watching their recent advertising campaign regarding toxic masculinity. I didn't "threaten" to do it, I actually voted with my wallet.

    It might seem to be splitting hairs, but it seems to me such acts are similar to toxic bullying. Like doxing someone knowing that it will result in large numbers of people who will use that information to threaten, verbally assault, denigrate, etc.. Targeting them for harassment or worse.

    It bothers me because it often leads to "crusades," and it is almost impossible to control the actions and reactions of individuals once started. It is one thing to protest, vote with one's wallet or feet, and quite another to compel silence because you disagree with their expression.
    Well, I would argue that if simply losing endorsement funding compels silence, the speaker didn't have much to say in the first place.

    Also, I'm 100%, without reservation, against doxing. People need to stop with that ****, someone's going to get killed.

    I understand that this isn't palatable for you, given your personal ideologies. Protest is usually meant to be unpalatable for someone...hehe... But I would have to ask...are there any laws being broken with this? If not, if this kind of activism is within their rights, then it would be awkward for you to come down negatively on them, while propping up someone else's rights, simply because you tend to agree with them more. I hate to say it, but I think this is what American freedom looks like in 2019.
    Life's too short...

  6. #86
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,005

    Re: Advertisers Flee As Tucker Goes on Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    He hasnt said horrible stuff. He has said stuff liberals dont want to hear. The places where lots of 'horrible stuff' is said is on shows like Don Lemon and Morning Joemophobe. You just want to deny to Tucker the freedom of speech that your pals on the left get to enjoy.
    Do you think immigrants make America dirty, poor, and 3rd world

  7. #87
    Chico needed the money...
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    27,166

    Re: Advertisers Flee As Tucker Goes on Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Im not angry at all. You must be projecting. And there is no resurgence of white supremacy. That is leftist propaganda. Just like the Russia Collusion hoax was.
    gaslight card.jpg
    Never pet a dog that is on fire.

  8. #88
    Chico needed the money...
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    27,166

    Re: Advertisers Flee As Tucker Goes on Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Ah, the market. Doing its sweet thing.
    Conservatives are all for the free market...until they aren't....
    Never pet a dog that is on fire.

  9. #89
    Sage
    Linc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL—16
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    44,483

    Re: Advertisers Flee As Tucker Goes on Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by bearpoker View Post
    The linc failed for some reason.
    I resemble that comment.
    Chemists Have Solutions; formerly nimby

  10. #90
    Exposing GOP since 2015
    NeverTrump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    24,100
    Blog Entries
    27

    Re: Advertisers Flee As Tucker Goes on Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    So the guy who hates Trump and every breath he takes (that would be you) is now using Trump to justify your own bad behavior. Trump calls for a boycott of something and you blast him as a tyrant, as Hitler and as an enemy of democracy itself. You call for a boycott and say, 'well Trump did it." You should realize by now that your obsession with all things Trump is damaging you more than it is him. But you dont.
    haha if Trump calls for a boycott of something, it likely means it's a good product. This path to life hasn't let me down yet.
    The next few days are going to be a category Level 5 hurricane of trolls, bots, conspiracy theories, fake stories, hoaxes, and hit jobs. MAGA-land is in panic mode, and it will be ugly. Be careful, be skeptical, share good stuff, report bad stuff, and don't argue with idiots.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •