Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 84

Thread: An example of a politically motivated headline

  1. #21
    Engineer
    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American Refugee in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,054

    Re: An example of a politically motivated headline

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    One, every factual claim is false, and two you are claiming I said things I never said.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Every factual claim in the article is likely true and you've been unable to show any of it is a fabrication. You're simply butt hurt because you were grouped in with the muslims, which makes sense considering you're just as bigoted if not more than they are and seem to hold many of the same positions. Cry harder, the article title was 100% accurate.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    1. The Guardian is proudly "liberal" or "progressive." So it is bound to walk on eggshells.

    2. The laws in England are super strict re: "hate speech." So the Guardian had to make sure that its headline could not be accused of inflaming the emotions of readers.
    So you're joining EMN to claim christians are OK with homosexuality being taught in school and thus the article title is a bold faced lie? Or are you claiming the parents who complained aren't religious? Can you back any of that up with facts? Where's the bias?
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 02-11-19 at 07:18 AM.

  2. #22
    Advisor LouC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Near Boise, ID
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    443

    Re: An example of a politically motivated headline

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    So I was perusing some news and say this headline from the Guardian

    School defends LGBT lessons after religious parents complain

    So, what's wrong with this headline? Well strictly speaking nothing is factually wrong about it, but the impression it leaves is "religious" parents who can be of any religion oppose this curriculum. just garden variety generic religion right?

    Well let's click this headline and read the story



    so let's analyze the bolded, it says "predominately muslim" but in fact it was not "predominately muslim" it was entirely muslim, buried in the article is the tidbit this school is over 98% muslim pupils.

    So why this bias? simple, they need to protect an agenda of intersectionality, and they want to make sure that whenever Islam is not compatible with the left's idea that this is downplayed and described in a way to downplay the fact muslims don't approve of their social causes.
    You have not identified any overt bias in that article.

    You obviously wanted their "headline" to be written with a bias of your own design, that much you have identified.

    Then you identify that you are biased against their writing the truth that 98% + of something is in fact a predominance of that thing.

    Not every fact can be in the headline or the first paragraph, so when you complain part of the story was "buried" you are not proving their bias, as they told of their findings, but are in fact proving your bias in how you feel they should have told of their findings. I mean, if they were trying to hide any facts i.e. data they could have just omitted it from the start, I mean if they really wanted to show an inappropriate bias.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. ~ Isaac Asimov

  3. #23
    Advisor LouC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Near Boise, ID
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    443

    Re: An example of a politically motivated headline

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    You're upset with a news headline because it wasn't specific enough for you? Lol okay, something tells me the only way this article would have really appeased you was if "Religion that caused 9/11 complains about LGBT lessons."
    Methinks the OP would have been OK with article if the Guardian writer had mentioned in the headline that it was "Filthy" and or "Godless" Muslims who objected to the school curriculum?
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. ~ Isaac Asimov

  4. #24
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,201

    Re: An example of a politically motivated headline

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    So I was perusing some news and say this headline from the Guardian

    School defends LGBT lessons after religious parents complain

    So, what's wrong with this headline? Well strictly speaking nothing is factually wrong about it, but the impression it leaves is "religious" parents who can be of any religion oppose this curriculum. just garden variety generic religion right?

    Well let's click this headline and read the story



    so let's analyze the bolded, it says "predominately muslim" but in fact it was not "predominately muslim" it was entirely muslim, buried in the article is the tidbit this school is over 98% muslim pupils.

    So why this bias? simple, they need to protect an agenda of intersectionality, and they want to make sure that whenever Islam is not compatible with the left's idea that this is downplayed and described in a way to downplay the fact muslims don't approve of their social causes.
    It is in the U.K. When you say someone is "religious" in the U.K. these days, 9 out of 10 times it is understood they are Muslim as most Western Europeans are only nominally Christian. In fact, you could say at best most British are just culturally Christian.

    Muslims in the U.K. fill the anti-science, socially conservative, anti-LGBT, role that evangelicals fill in America.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  5. #25
    Guru
    Buzz62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,380

    Re: An example of a politically motivated headline

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    You're upset with a news headline because it wasn't specific enough for you? Lol okay, something tells me the only way this article would have really appeased you was if "Religion that caused 9/11 complains about LGBT lessons."
    What abject horse ****.
    Your post is as dishonest as the news article.
    You use "sound bytes" insinuation to cast a shadow over the OP's post.
    Franky, it's clear that you, in particular, can never be taken seriously.
    It's so lonely in m'saddle...since m'horse died...

  6. #26
    Guru
    Buzz62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,380

    Re: An example of a politically motivated headline

    Quote Originally Posted by LouC View Post
    Methinks the OP would have been OK with article if the Guardian writer had mentioned in the headline that it was "Filthy" and or "Godless" Muslims who objected to the school curriculum?
    Me thinks you have just shown yourself to be full of it.
    It's so lonely in m'saddle...since m'horse died...

  7. #27
    Advisor LouC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Near Boise, ID
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    443

    Re: An example of a politically motivated headline

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz62 View Post
    Me thinks you have just shown yourself to be full of it.
    LOL

    Not at all.

    Not at all.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. ~ Isaac Asimov

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,077

    Re: An example of a politically motivated headline

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    So I was perusing some news and say this headline from the Guardian

    School defends LGBT lessons after religious parents complain

    So, what's wrong with this headline? Well strictly speaking nothing is factually wrong about it, but the impression it leaves is "religious" parents who can be of any religion oppose this curriculum. just garden variety generic religion right?

    Well let's click this headline and read the story



    so let's analyze the bolded, it says "predominately muslim" but in fact it was not "predominately muslim" it was entirely muslim, buried in the article is the tidbit this school is over 98% muslim pupils.

    So why this bias? simple, they need to protect an agenda of intersectionality, and they want to make sure that whenever Islam is not compatible with the left's idea that this is downplayed and described in a way to downplay the fact muslims don't approve of their social causes.
    You took flak for posting it but you're right.
    Headlines are often meant to deceive.
    Happens all the time and I've mentioned it myself.
    People read the headlines and then abort the news mission.
    And some, like those you've seen defending it here, don't mind the deception at all.
    Couldn't keep their partisan ideology intact without it.
    Another current example would be "Many Americans are upset their 2018 refunds shrunk after the GOP tax cuts" from the WAPO and others.

    IF EVERYTHING IS IMPORTANT THEN NOTHING IS

  9. #29
    Guru
    Buzz62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,380

    Re: An example of a politically motivated headline

    Quote Originally Posted by LouC View Post
    LOL

    Not at all.

    Not at all.
    Then what makes you think you should pretend to know another man's mind?
    It's so lonely in m'saddle...since m'horse died...

  10. #30
    Professor Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,400

    Re: An example of a politically motivated headline

    Christians bitching about Muslims.

    They're both atheists. Just got one more god to kill before they're all atheists.
    Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven. - Milton

    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •