Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 91 to 99 of 99

Thread: Capital Gazette takes swipe at Trump: 'We won't forget being called an enemy of the people'

  1. #91
    Sage
    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,897

    Re: Capital Gazette takes swipe at Trump: 'We won't forget being called an enemy of the people'

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    I was talking about his war on the free press, see https://www.debatepolitics.com/bias-...post1068745846
    What does that have to do with the Capital Gazette self identifying as fake news?

    Trump talks about the lies told in the news, not all media outlets.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Last Seen
    08-15-18 @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,023

    Re: Capital Gazette takes swipe at Trump: 'We won't forget being called an enemy of the people'

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Trump called the American media the enemy of the people, which in essence served to sanction the twisted thoughts of this individual. Because of the bully-pulpit that comes with the job of POTUS, he more than anyone else in this country, delivers words of power and thus must use that bully-pulpit responsibly. He failed miserably in that duty.

    Trump was reckless with his words and this happened. Sorry, he is not lilly-white in responsibility.
    what Trump supporters REFUSE to admit Trump is using a very wide brush to smear the press in America, and thus by doing so is encouraging contempt against the press.

    Trump supporters are too blind to see this, and the very few that do see it are unwilling to admit this is what is actually occurring in America.

    These are the same type of tactics used by Hitler to attack the press. Look how well that worked out ..........

  3. #93
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,883

    Re: Capital Gazette takes swipe at Trump: 'We won't forget being called an enemy of the people'

    Quote Originally Posted by cuban smokes View Post
    what Trump supporters REFUSE to admit Trump is using a very wide brush to smear the press in America, and thus by doing so is encouraging contempt against the press.

    Trump supporters are too blind to see this, and the very few that do see it are unwilling to admit this is what is actually occurring in America.

    These are the same type of tactics used by Hitler to attack the press. Look how well that worked out ..........

    ...hate to jump to a Godwin argument, but it is true that attacks on a free press are right out of the dictator's handbook. He seems to be doing well on all points.

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN15Y07R
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...oming-dictator
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...s-trump-stalin
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimpowe.../#487712f27ff7

    How is America going to end? Five steps to totalitarian rule.
    http://www.newseum.org/2016/10/18/21...press-freedom/

    Numerous studies have been done on the importance of an educated electorate in maintaining a healthy democracy.

    http://education.oxfordre.com/view/1...0190264093-e-2
    https://scholar.harvard.edu/shleifer..._final_jeg.pdf

    The American education system has been neglected and ridiculed for a generation. America is among the most poorly educated of the so-called "1st world countries". Although we rank 5th in the world in percentage of people with a university education..., our secondary education system ranks among the lowest in the lowest in the world....

    https://hechingerreport.org/u-s-now-...-nations-math/
    http://www.businessinsider.com/wef-g...-world-2016-10
    https://qz.com/879092/the-us-doesnt-...loped-country/

    hence, being "educated", particularly in the United States, is a big deal with regards to the long-term viability of our democracy. Trump's appeal to those that have more limited educations is well documented.

    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ote-for-trump/

    Interesting that ALL of the 10 best educated states in the US went for Clinton in 2016 in stark contrast to 8 of the 1O least educated states went for Trump..

    Jefferson wrote: "...Educate and inform the whole mass of the people . . . They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty..."

    But Jefferson did not have much faith in America to do the right thing here. He predicted that it was just a matter of time before we "elected" a "despot" .... it took 225 years, but we may have done it....

    http://oll.libertyfund.org/quote/237

    Donald J. Trump, Franchisee
    Member of the Vladimir Putin Franchise System
    All dictatorships are locally owned and operated




  4. #94
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    59,118

    Re: Capital Gazette takes swipe at Trump: 'We won't forget being called an enemy of the people'

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Seriously? The tenor of each of those is not at all at the level of that of Trump with the press.
    Sure. Because it's not against members of your Tribe, the "tenor" is different.

    No, that's balderdash. When Democrats accuse the other political tribe of acting like or being terrorists, they are accusing them of acting like or being terrorists. When they describe them as The Enemy, they are describing them as the enemy. You seek to make exculpatory excuses because it doesn't create the same deep sense of anger and distaste in you as it does when the other Tribe does it. “How offensive do I find this” is not the same as “Is this rhetorically worse than something I find less offensive”.

    When Democrats accuse the other tribe of being terrorists or acting like terrorists, they are accusing the other tribe of being terrorists or acting like terrorists. When they call them the Enemy, they are calling them the Enemy.

    Is it worse because it’s the Press? Obama went after the Press. I don’t recall the left telling us that meant the Republic hung by a thread. Trump calls them more names (because he is more childish); but Obama had the government hack into their computers and try to actually intimidate them from doing their jobs.


    Frankly, I am bit surprised that you, of all people, one of the more intelligent advocates for the right, would to try to stoop to the levels of disingenuousness by attempting to sell this as some type of equivalence. Its not and you know it. It is a futile exercise for you to try as I, and most others on this thread, are far too intelligent to buy what you are so weakly attempting to sell.

    I don’t trade in my intellectual honesty for partisan gain. Trump is an angry, petulant, child who should never have been allowed anywhere near political power. I wish mightily that he wasn’t President, and I seriously doubt that our body politic is going to recover from the slide into increasingly rancorous tribalism that he has taken part in and accelerated. But Trump won his core base not least because he adopted the kind of language that had been used against them. I’m not going to pretend that didn’t happen, even if it is inconvenient to my dislike of Trump, anymore than I’m going to pretend anything Trump has done didn’t happen because it would be convenient to my political side of the aisle.

  5. #95
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,306

    Re: Capital Gazette takes swipe at Trump: 'We won't forget being called an enemy of the people'

    Quote Originally Posted by cuban smokes View Post
    Capital Gazette takes swipe at Trump: 'We won't forget being called an enemy of the people'

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8427251.html


    A lone gunman opened fire on the offices of Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis last week - killing four reporters and one supporting staff member.

    The paper’s staff released a letter on Sunday which thanked those who extended support in the wake of the mass shooting but also took a veiled swipe at Mr Trump.

    “We won’t forget being called an enemy of the people. No, we won’t forget that. Because exposing evil, shining light on wrongs and fighting injustice is what we do,” they wrote.

    Mr Trump, who has become famed for launching barbed attacks on the media whom he brands “fake news”, has persistently used the phrase “enemy of the people” to refer to the press.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Way to go Capital Gazette ..........
    My granny always said “A hit dog will holla”.
    How can we speak to the pain beneath the anger?
    Author unknown.

    Matthew 5:5-9


  6. #96
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    42,206

    Re: Capital Gazette takes swipe at Trump: 'We won't forget being called an enemy of the people'

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
    Given their shameful pimping of an event totally unrelated to Trump for political points, any sympathy that should have been given to them just evaporated...
    Damn. Reporters are murdered, and Trumpanzees are blaming the victims. This is not new, however. I saw this response coming a mile away. It's what they do.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #97
    Professor MrMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Everywhere (Travel 80%)
    Last Seen
    12-05-18 @ 03:21 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,135

    Re: Capital Gazette takes swipe at Trump: 'We won't forget being called an enemy of the people'

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Damn. Reporters are murdered, and Trumpanzees are blaming the victims. This is not new, however. I saw this response coming a mile away. It's what they do.
    Hmmm...let's correct your error.

    Reporters are murdered by someone who has had a beef with them for years at that paper, yet Lefties are shamelessly blaming Trump for the perpetrators actions and the paper used it as well to go political. Saw that response coming a mile away. It's what the Left does (mislead, lie, etc.).

  8. #98
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,883

    Re: Capital Gazette takes swipe at Trump: 'We won't forget being called an enemy of the people'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Sure. Because it's not against members of your Tribe, the "tenor" is different.

    No, that's balderdash. When Democrats accuse the other political tribe of acting like or being terrorists, they are accusing them of acting like or being terrorists. When they describe them as The Enemy, they are describing them as the enemy. You seek to make exculpatory excuses because it doesn't create the same deep sense of anger and distaste in you as it does when the other Tribe does it. “How offensive do I find this” is not the same as “Is this rhetorically worse than something I find less offensive”.

    When Democrats accuse the other tribe of being terrorists or acting like terrorists, they are accusing the other tribe of being terrorists or acting like terrorists. When they call them the Enemy, they are calling them the Enemy.

    Is it worse because it’s the Press? Obama went after the Press. I don’t recall the left telling us that meant the Republic hung by a thread. Trump calls them more names (because he is more childish); but Obama had the government hack into their computers and try to actually intimidate them from doing their jobs.





    I don’t trade in my intellectual honesty for partisan gain. Trump is an angry, petulant, child who should never have been allowed anywhere near political power. I wish mightily that he wasn’t President, and I seriously doubt that our body politic is going to recover from the slide into increasingly rancorous tribalism that he has taken part in and accelerated. But Trump won his core base not least because he adopted the kind of language that had been used against them. I’m not going to pretend that didn’t happen, even if it is inconvenient to my dislike of Trump, anymore than I’m going to pretend anything Trump has done didn’t happen because it would be convenient to my political side of the aisle.
    Sorry CP, you are defending the indefensible here..... political enemies are not even remotely comparable to "enemies of the American people." Though Presidents have a long history of acrimony with the Press, substantially all Presidents have acknowledged the press has essential to maintaining a free society (Nixon may have gone a little of the line; but Trump is waaaaaaayyyyy out of bounds)

    https://variety.com/2017/biz/news/pr...ce-1201962782/

    And the tones are not comparable. I know you know better than that. Your argument borders on being disingenuous, which is not your style.....

    I appreciate you second section of comments. Your general credibility shows through there.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 07-12-18 at 10:03 PM.

    Donald J. Trump, Franchisee
    Member of the Vladimir Putin Franchise System
    All dictatorships are locally owned and operated




  9. #99
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    59,118

    Re: Capital Gazette takes swipe at Trump: 'We won't forget being called an enemy of the people'

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Sorry CP, you are defending the indefensible here.
    The only person here doing any defending is you, trying to defend this kind of behavior when it comes from political figure you supported by offering excuses.

    ... political enemies are not even remotely comparable to "enemies of the American people." Though Presidents have a long history of acrimony with the Press, substantially all Presidents have acknowledged the press has essential to maintaining a free society (Nixon may have gone a little of the line; but Trump is waaaaaaayyyyy out of bounds)
    Trump is indeed way out of line. So were his predecessors. That you defend their behavior while remaining incensed at his suggests that you are allowing partisan preference (or more than understandable personal preference - whatever I thought of his policies or his weaknesses, Obama had more class than Trump did) to color your judgment of their actions.

    It's an easy trap to fall into. It feels right. Naturally what They did is more abusive, more atrocious, more ill-intended than the somewhat excusable incident where someone on our side perhaps became temporarily a bit excessive.

    It's a very human thing to do, a combination of Fundamental Attribution Error and In Group Bias.

    It is, for example, what Trump fans do to defend his actions. Offer excuses for them, explain them via external causes, and then try to hype the internal drivers of the abuses of Those Other So-and-So's.

    It's not right when Trump does it. It's not right when Democrats do it, either.

    I appreciate you second section of comments. Your general credibility shows through there.
    Thank you.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •