Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 97

Thread: Facebook is Slowly Fixing Fake News

  1. #81
    Pissant for Years
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,773
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Facebook is Slowly Fixing Fake News

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Strawman.
    No, because by saying what you said, you CONFIRMED that you agree that money is speech.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    According to journalists. Govt has and should have nothing to do with it. The purpose of govt is to protect your life and liberty so that you can speak or not speak. Its not to ensure your speech gets heard. The purpose of the bill of rights was to make sure govt didnt interfere and stop speech or the press, not to assist it in getting out.
    Once money is speech, nothing else can BE heard EXCEPT FOR money.
    Therefore, organized money as speech is organized tyranny by money.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    If we were turned into an absolutely monarchy with King Donald I’d be perfectly happy since he’s so far doing a good job governing despite the totally crap allegations he’s being subjected to

  2. #82
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Seen
    05-24-18 @ 12:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,268

    Re: Facebook is Slowly Fixing Fake News

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I think I understand it well enough...but I'm not sure you do.
    You are equivocating on both ends. Not all that sure, are you?

  3. #83
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    28,605

    Re: Facebook is Slowly Fixing Fake News

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverTrumpGOP View Post
    I am so happy to be seeing this. This type of viral crap website whether they be conservative or liberal, suck and are annoying for anyone who has an attention span longer than five seconds. They hurt everything that the internet was built and intended for.


    https://mediapost.com/publications/a...uldnt-sur.html

    Some graphs here: https://theoutline.com/post/3599/con...=2&zi=d3yobbtj

    The sites that used Facebook the most:



    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kathlee.../#497f28d234ec

    This should be applauded, but for some reason I think it will be mostly mocked here. Let's see.
    The house has already burned to the ground and the whip out they garden hose...

    Money money money

    It's gonna kill us all.

  4. #84
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,314

    Re: Facebook is Slowly Fixing Fake News

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverTrumpGOP View Post
    I am so happy to be seeing this. This type of viral crap website whether they be conservative or liberal, suck and are annoying for anyone who has an attention span longer than five seconds. They hurt everything that the internet was built and intended for.


    https://mediapost.com/publications/a...uldnt-sur.html

    Some graphs here: https://theoutline.com/post/3599/con...=2&zi=d3yobbtj

    The sites that used Facebook the most:



    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kathlee.../#497f28d234ec

    This should be applauded, but for some reason I think it will be mostly mocked here. Let's see.
    They will fix it the same way you fix a cat or a dog.

  5. #85
    Neocon Cultural Elitist
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    28,490

    Re: Facebook is Slowly Fixing Fake News

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Not fond of them deciding what is and isn't "fake news". They're supposed to be a social media site, not a site that determines what is and isn't fake. But its their site.
    They would have done themselves a favor by reducing the news feature altogether.
    A message to both the Left and the Right. Ari Ne'eman-"People with disabilities deserve better than to be used as props in the country’s ongoing — and so far stalemated — arguments over gun control." https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...-obama-liberty

  6. #86
    Sage
    Oborosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Heflin, Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-12-18 @ 06:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,064

    Re: Facebook is Slowly Fixing Fake News

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Seems to me they are right on the money well over 90% of the time.
    And exactly how bliss is this state of ignorance you seem to be experiencing?
    “…it is easier for a 12- or 13-year-old to purchase a gun, and cheaper, than it is for them to get a book.” – Barack Obama

  7. #87
    Sage
    Oborosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Heflin, Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-12-18 @ 06:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,064

    Re: Facebook is Slowly Fixing Fake News

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Lol....I bet I know exactly what you posted. And, why it got you banned.
    Then care to hazard a guess, because I would actually like to see if there is an actual bottom to the depths of this idiocy you keep waving around.
    “…it is easier for a 12- or 13-year-old to purchase a gun, and cheaper, than it is for them to get a book.” – Barack Obama

  8. #88
    Sage
    Oborosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Heflin, Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-12-18 @ 06:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,064

    Re: Facebook is Slowly Fixing Fake News

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I get most of my news from newspapers and the radio, not Facebook or news commentary shows.
    Good because CNN, MSNBC and FOX haven't been news for over a year now.

    ...but the fear mongering has to stop at least. Because even my local print is putting out stuff that has not actual facts associated with it. Nor do they have a means of proving it.
    “…it is easier for a 12- or 13-year-old to purchase a gun, and cheaper, than it is for them to get a book.” – Barack Obama

  9. #89
    Sage
    Oborosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Heflin, Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-12-18 @ 06:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,064

    Re: Facebook is Slowly Fixing Fake News

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    They would have done themselves a favor by reducing the news feature altogether.
    I second that opinion.
    “…it is easier for a 12- or 13-year-old to purchase a gun, and cheaper, than it is for them to get a book.” – Barack Obama

  10. #90
    Guru
    Buzz62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-14-18 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,636

    Re: Facebook is Slowly Fixing Fake News

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    I'd say that 1984 would arguably be the last year in which the Fairness Doctrine/Ed Murrow journalism method dominated the news industry. When Reagan first began the process of killing off the Fairness Doctrine around 1985, Murrow's methods and standards pretty much began to die with it. You can't have one without the other, I'm afraid.

    I first received my Associate degree in 1977, and by 1979 I was preparing for my Bachelor's in English with minors in History and journalism. That put me squarely in the crosshairs of the convergence of market forces and their influence in the newsgathering business.
    And that ultimately dissuaded me from pursuing a career path in news at least from a journalism perspective.
    I wound up going after the creative side in film-TV instead, and only did news coverage as a video photographer or videographer, doing freelance news stringer camera op assignments instead of attempting to be a reporter. The market wanted a different breed of reporter, someone considered for their attractiveness instead of their ability as a newshound.
    I wasn't so ugly that I "had a face for radio" but I wasn't a clean cut varsity team preppie type either.

    News used to be a nonprofit public service provided BY the for profit networks, and was under the umbrella of "News and Public Affairs" and the service of providing news was part of a station or network's FCC responsibility to the community and for the privilege of using "the public airwaves".

    The decision that the Fairness Doctrine "interfered with the First Amendment" is only considered valid because we now seem to consider MONEY to be a form of SPEECH, as FURTHER CODIFIED in Supreme Court decisions like Citizens United and FEC vs. McCutcheon.

    Personally, I see that as a massive distortion in our priorities and standards, because if money really is speech, then NO money equals NO SPEECH.

    And one purpose of journalism is to "comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable".
    Ya I agree. The 24 hour new cycle made new, entertainment. And Citizens United screwed everyone.
    It's so lonely in m'saddle...since m'horse died...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •