View Poll Results: How serious is fake or erroneous news

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all serious

    9 16.36%
  • Somewhat serious

    11 20.00%
  • Serious

    13 23.64%
  • Extremely serious

    22 40.00%
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 296

Thread: Fake News/Media Syndrome

  1. #1
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,910
    Blog Entries
    2

    Fake News/Media Syndrome

    I hope it is possible at DP to have a serious, civil discussion re the serious business of media coverage that is:

    1. Biased to the point of dishonesty
    2. Erroneous to the point of incompetence
    3. Fake news in that it is information created or repeated or represented in a way that is deliberately false.

    Based on posts and people recruited to be talking heads on television, it seems obvious some think this syndrome doesn't exist at all or it is purely an invention of Fox News. Others are diligently pointing out that it does exist and is mean, cruel, hateful, and detrimental to us as a society whether in the mainstream media, on the internet, or on social media.

    So what do you think? This is the thread to express your opinions and impressions and also to post examples of fake/erroneous/misrepresented news that you run across and/or examples of news labeled 'fake' that turned out to be true.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #2
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,910
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    I'll start with this piece from the Daily Caller listing seven times this year that CNN has botched or put out fake/erroneous news:

    LIST: CNN's Fake News Stories In 2017 | The Daily Caller

    These include:
    --Comey testimony
    --Scaramucci smear
    --Fake news about fake news
    --Feeding fish in Japan
    --The President's knowledge of Japanese cars
    --Funding of the Dossier
    --Don Jr. and Wikilieaks

    And that's just CNN. Let's see other examples or examples of news declared fake that was actually true.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  3. #3
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,910
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    Here is another one that @Lowdown posted recently re the New York Times and K.T. McFarland:

    New York Times forced to heavily amend another supposed K.T. McFarland 'scoop'

    The problem is not that they reported erroneous information. The problem is that they fail to just as prominently post how they got it wrong. The original 'fake news' is out there and those that see that and do not see the amendments will have a completely erroneous impression of what happened or is happening.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #4
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,910
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    To ABC's credit they did suspend Brian Ross for four weeks after his incompetence in reporting a false story on Flynn that crashed the market.

    NEW YORK (AP) — ABC News on Saturday suspended investigative reporter Brian Ross for four weeks without pay for his erroneous report on Michael Flynn, which it called a “serious error.”
    https://www.boston.com/news/media/20...s-flynn-report

    Maybe if such discipline was enforced across the board in all the media, we would get more careful and honest reporting.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  5. #5
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Seen
    01-13-18 @ 02:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    3,582

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I hope it is possible at DP to have a serious, civil discussion re the serious business of media coverage that is:

    1. Biased to the point of dishonesty
    2. Erroneous to the point of incompetence
    3. Fake news in that it is information created or repeated or represented in a way that is deliberately false.

    Based on posts and people recruited to be talking heads on television, it seems obvious some think this syndrome doesn't exist at all or it is purely an invention of Fox News. Others are diligently pointing out that it does exist and is mean, cruel, hateful, and detrimental to us as a society whether in the mainstream media, on the internet, or on social media.

    So what do you think? This is the thread to express your opinions and impressions and also to post examples of fake/erroneous/misrepresented news that you run across and/or examples of news labeled 'fake' that turned out to be true.
    Clinton deregulated the FCC. Back in the 1980s there were 50 some odd companies on the american media landscape and the function of governmental watchdog was still yet taken seriously. Now a half dozen multinational corporations own the entire thing and preside over ~90% of what americans see, hear, read, watch … and ultimately come to perceive as reality. Much of this comes from the laziness of the public themselves, but the public is also under increasing economic duress and pressure making being informed more difficult requiring due diligence and triangulation; all of which takes time and effort. The rerigging of the internet will now feed into this and the public is already accustomed to accepting bogus wars of aggression and profit as legit and standard economic policy.

    The american media machine is the voice of the corporate state.

  6. #6
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,370
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I'll start with this piece from the Daily Caller listing seven times this year that CNN has botched or put out fake/erroneous news:

    LIST: CNN's Fake News Stories In 2017 | The Daily Caller

    These include:
    --Comey testimony
    --Scaramucci smear
    --Fake news about fake news
    --Feeding fish in Japan
    --The President's knowledge of Japanese cars
    --Funding of the Dossier
    --Don Jr. and Wikilieaks

    And that's just CNN. Let's see other examples or examples of news declared fake that was actually true.
    Be careful. Your bias is showing too.
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  7. #7
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,370
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I hope it is possible at DP to have a serious, civil discussion re the serious business of media coverage that is:

    1. Biased to the point of dishonesty
    2. Erroneous to the point of incompetence
    3. Fake news in that it is information created or repeated or represented in a way that is deliberately false.

    Based on posts and people recruited to be talking heads on television, it seems obvious some think this syndrome doesn't exist at all or it is purely an invention of Fox News. Others are diligently pointing out that it does exist and is mean, cruel, hateful, and detrimental to us as a society whether in the mainstream media, on the internet, or on social media.

    So what do you think? This is the thread to express your opinions and impressions and also to post examples of fake/erroneous/misrepresented news that you run across and/or examples of news labeled 'fake' that turned out to be true.
    Nothing is meaner, more crueler, more hateful and detrimental to society than when the right lied about Obama's birthplace. None of these stories are worse than that.
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  8. #8
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,910
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton Lum View Post
    Clinton deregulated the FCC. Back in the 1980s there were 50 some odd companies on the american media landscape and the function of governmental watchdog was still yet taken seriously. Now a half dozen multinational corporations own the entire thing and preside over ~90% of what americans see, hear, read, watch … and ultimately come to perceive as reality. Much of this comes from the laziness of the public themselves, but the public is also under increasing economic duress and pressure making being informed more difficult requiring due diligence and triangulation; all of which takes time and effort. The rerigging of the internet will now feed into this and the public is already accustomed to accepting bogus wars of aggression and profit as legit and standard economic policy.

    The american media machine is the voice of the corporate state.
    So is fake news, erroneous reporting a problem or not?
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  9. #9
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,910
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverTrumpGOP View Post
    Be careful. Your bias is showing too.
    The OP or the piece on CNN is not at all biased. If you can show that the linked piece is wrong though, please go for it.

    And provide your own examples.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  10. #10
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,910
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverTrumpGOP View Post
    Nothing is meaner, more crueler, more hateful and detrimental to society than when the right lied about Obama's birthplace. None of these stories are worse than that.
    So you would agree that fake news, false accusations, erroneous reporting is a serious problem? Is that how you marked the poll?
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •