View Poll Results: How serious is fake or erroneous news

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all serious

    9 16.36%
  • Somewhat serious

    11 20.00%
  • Serious

    13 23.64%
  • Extremely serious

    22 40.00%
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
Results 291 to 296 of 296

Thread: Fake News/Media Syndrome

  1. #291
    Guru

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,569

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    Funny. Mr.45 has no problem speaking to the NYT.

  2. #292
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    05-21-18 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    How can you assume a minority of Native Americans were not offended, or that a majority are Trump supporters? Look into the history, and pay attention that he did what he did in front of a portrait of Andrew Jackson. A LOT of minorities think Trump is racist. I hang out with a lot of Muslim people and my neighbor's are Mexican. Almost everybody in those groups think Trump is racist.

    I don't personally know a lot of Native Americans, but my brother does, and I know from their FB postings that they are not happy with Trump's stance on the Dakota access pipeline.

    https://www.voanews.com/a/native-ame...s/4140139.html

    Not to mention, Trump's rallies are mostly all white. African Americans didn't vote for Hillary, but they didn't vote for Trump either. A lot of groups are up from grabs, but will not vote for the GOP.

    At face value, it's not racist. I think it is true.... Black people have also been impacted by the same stereotypes of black males as criminal, super predators, etc. Obama didn't mention black people and their attitudes, who knows why. Perhaps it was a mistake, but you act like he is a deliberate act of malice towards white people. I don't think that his speech implies that. Obama admitted in the same speech that he struggled to see a difference in his white grandmother having racially flawed views versus his pastor. He has also said numerous times that racism is taught, and people aren't born to hate. Therefore, he is saying his grandmother was taught her fears and prejudice and so was his pastor. The difference is their color of skin.

    His entire speech implied that people are more comfortable with stubble racism and prejudice when it's occurring within their own racial context, because you're more likely to feel empathy or forgive. Whereas, if you notice racism in somebody of a different racial group than you, you feel reviled, threatened, or offended, because you don't relate and it's obviously directed towards you. Your comfort level changes.





    1. something being "mostly white" is not evidence of racism or anything else any more so than "98% of blacks voted for obama" would be evidence or Racism

    2. I did not claim most, I responded that there is little evidence of what you claim.

    3. if you have a hostile media constantly telling you something, people start to believe it.

    4. if Trump said the reason that black people didn't vote for them because racism was "typical" among them, there would be 100 threads on how racist he was. You can't have it both ways.

    5. You are correct, Obama did not mention that the black "subculture" (which is a subculture just like any other subculture) plays into any fears that not only a white person may have, but other black people have about young black males. I will again refer you to the cops newark episode where the black seargeant talks about this. Do I think he was being malicious? I am not so sure, between that and his comments on the cops "Acting stupidly" when his privileged friend screamed racism after being a douchebag kinda makes me think it wasn't as innocent as you think.

    7. If black people and white people engage in the same suggested impressions on a certain sect of young black men, how is one subtle racism, and the other not?
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  3. #293
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,721

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    1. something being "mostly white" is not evidence of racism or anything else any more so than "98% of blacks voted for obama" would be evidence or Racism

    2. I did not claim most, I responded that there is little evidence of what you claim.

    3. if you have a hostile media constantly telling you something, people start to believe it.

    4. if Trump said the reason that black people didn't vote for them because racism was "typical" among them, there would be 100 threads on how racist he was. You can't have it both ways.

    5. You are correct, Obama did not mention that the black "subculture" (which is a subculture just like any other subculture) plays into any fears that not only a white person may have, but other black people have about young black males. I will again refer you to the cops newark episode where the black seargeant talks about this. Do I think he was being malicious? I am not so sure, between that and his comments on the cops "Acting stupidly" when his privileged friend screamed racism after being a douchebag kinda makes me think it wasn't as innocent as you think.

    7. If black people and white people engage in the same suggested impressions on a certain sect of young black men, how is one subtle racism, and the other not?
    1 and 4. I am not saying the GOP being mostly white is evidence of racism in itself. I am saying the GOP obviously has a problem reaching minorities, and there is reason why. Trump didn't say minorities won't vote for him because racism is typical among them, but the larger GOP has said similar things. When Obama won and he turned out the black vote, there was a flood of talking heads and posters on this board complaining about how they all voted for Obama just because he was black. Obama was the Affirmative Action president. He wasn't qualified, but he was black. Obama didn't deserve to be elected, and he won just because he was black. Rush Limbaugh went as far to say Colin endorsed him, because "it was about race."

    The GOP and many republicans themselves have dabbled in the rhetoric.

    African Americans didn't vote for Hillary. She was getting called out for her 90's speeches on super predators. As for Trump, he is just as guilty. Trump may have went after her in ads for her language, but all he did was suppress black voting. He didn't earn their vote, because of Trump's record. Look at what he did to the Central Park Five. He called on those young kids to be executed, took out a whole page in some news paper, and the kids turned out to be innocent. Everybody was freaking out thinking those kids were super predators.

    When Hillary did it, it mattered, and it offended people, including a lot of African Americans. Trump doesn't get a pass.

    2. Why do you say there is little evidence that Native Americans were offended? Many have publicly voiced taking offense. What would it take you make you pause and think perhaps Trump did offend a lot of people? You want them protesting in the streets?

    3. Again, it's not the hostile media telling me people are offended by Trump, it's people offended by Trump telling me so. My husband travels to the ME and parts of Asia for his job. I spend most of my time with Muslims. I go to a Mosque sometimes. I know what an Iftar is, and I have taken part in it. I know Indian Muslims, Pashtuns, Punjabis, Arabs, Persians, etc. I know a lot of different types of people, and a lot of Muslims. I spend more time with Muslims and immigrants than I spend with Christians and non-immigrant Americans. The people I am around, talk about being offended by Trump. They think Trump is racist or at least thinks negatively about Islam.

    We all know the mainstream criticism of Islam too, so you can't really convince me that there is not a issue in America regarding Muslim immigrants.

    It is the same with the Mexican people in my neighborhood. They think Trump is racist. A couple I know has a teenage son. They said he literally cried the night Trump won. I know other immigrants who actually cried, because they were afraid.


    5. You're welcome to your opinion, but I think you're taking Obama's comments out of character. He didn't say racism was better or worse in white people or black. It makes sense, because he is a bi racial.

    7. I really don't know what you mean or what you're talking about.

  4. #294
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,883

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I hope it is possible at DP to have a serious, civil discussion re the serious business of media coverage that is:

    1. Biased to the point of dishonesty
    2. Erroneous to the point of incompetence
    3. Fake news in that it is information created or repeated or represented in a way that is deliberately false.

    Based on posts and people recruited to be talking heads on television, it seems obvious some think this syndrome doesn't exist at all or it is purely an invention of Fox News. Others are diligently pointing out that it does exist and is mean, cruel, hateful, and detrimental to us as a society whether in the mainstream media, on the internet, or on social media.

    So what do you think? This is the thread to express your opinions and impressions and also to post examples of fake/erroneous/misrepresented news that you run across and/or examples of news labeled 'fake' that turned out to be true.
    Sometimes there simply isn't very much positive to talk about. With Trump the positives stop at "has managed to conti he the economy in an upward trend". Other than that, he's campaign is being picked apart by a special prosecutor, his tax bill is wildly unpopular, has done nothing but run his mouth on foreign policy etc. Continuous lie after lie. When a crazy person ****s the bed don't expect to see much positive news coverage.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  5. #295
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,836
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    Sometimes there simply isn't very much positive to talk about. With Trump the positives stop at "has managed to conti he the economy in an upward trend". Other than that, he's campaign is being picked apart by a special prosecutor, his tax bill is wildly unpopular, has done nothing but run his mouth on foreign policy etc. Continuous lie after lie. When a crazy person ****s the bed don't expect to see much positive news coverage.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    The tax bill is 'wildly unpopular' as you describe it because the media has yet to be honest in anything about it and the pundits have made all these wild predictions of disaster that are put out there as news and many Americans don't have the time and inclination to ferret out better or more honest information for themselves.

    A recent Pew poll determined that 95% of coverage of the Trump administration has been negative for all of 2017. That means that only a tiny fraction of anything positive has been featured if even that.

    And it isn't as if there was nothing positive to report. The MSM just didn't except for Fox News and a few other honest news outlets.
    Year One List: 81 major Trump achievements, 11 Obama legacy items repealed
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #296
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,836
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Fake News/Media Syndrome

    It has been fun watching the MSM go into absolutely apoplectic meltdown this week over the announced intention to release the Fake News awards. You would think Santa Claus had died, that the world we know is ending, or at the very least our nation as we know it was being destroyed before our very eyes.

    But they sure aren't talking much about the fake news that got the awards are they!

    There are literally hundreds of such things that could have been chosen, but this is a good mix to illustrate the fake news syndrome. The 10 items chosen for the list are brilliant to show how vapid, dishonest, unprofessional, uncareful, and petty the MSM has become.

    President Trump announces winners of '2017 Fake News Awards' | WJLA
    https://gop.com/the-highly-anticipat...e-news-awards/

    1. First on the list is Paul Krugman, a columnist for The New York Times who wrote in 2016 that the stock markets would "never" recover from the shock of Trump's election. (I don't know about you guys but my personal IRA that I rolled over from my 401K when I retired has been really really happy with President Trump.

    2. ABC News' Brian Ross CHOKES and sends markets in a downward spiral with false report on President Trump and Russian collusion. (He was demoted at ABC over that one.)

    3. CNN FALSELY reported that candidate Donald Trump and his son Donald J. Trump, Jr. had access to hacked documents from WikiLeaks.

    4. TIME FALSELY reported that President Trump removed a bust of Martin Luther King, Jr. from the Oval Office.

    5. Washington Post FALSELY reported the President’s massive sold-out rally in Pensacola, Florida was empty. Dishonest reporter showed picture of empty arena HOURS before crowd started pouring in.

    6. CNN FALSELY edited a video to make it appear President Trump defiantly overfed fish during a visit with the Japanese prime minister. Japanese prime minister actually led the way with the feeding.

    7. CNN FALSELY reported about Anthony Scaramucci’s meeting with a Russian, but retracted it due to a “significant breakdown in process.”

    8. Newsweek FALSELY reported that Polish First Lady Agata Kornhauser-Duda did not shake President Trump’s hand.

    9. CNN FALSELY reported that former FBI Director James Comey would dispute President Trump’s claim that he was told he is not under investigation.

    10. The New York Times FALSELY claimed on the front page that the Trump administration had hidden a climate report.
    Last edited by AlbqOwl; 01-18-18 at 08:11 PM.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •