Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 193

Thread: Isnít faith being central targeting stupid people??

  1. #31
    Sage

    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    44,144

    Re: Isnít faith being central targeting stupid people??

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishking View Post
    The idea of abiogenesis was cute back in the day when we thought small life forms were really simple, but we know that they are not. The idea that random non-organic chemicals organized into a complex system that had the ability to do many tasks is just silly. The life form would have to pop some chemicals together that could: consume food; metabolize food, replicate itself to the point that that replication could do all those things, ect, ect

    That's not getting into the concepts of cell structure and the microscopic processes that are going on to keep the integrity of the cell. Chemicals aren't going to randomly organized into that. They never will. It's like when people thought that rotten meat created flies.
    Ah, the argument from ignorance. Got it. The lack of reasoning to come to the unwarrented conclusion and false claims is noted.
    Na-mask-ee The mask I wear to protect you recognizes the mask you wear to protect me.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Fishking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    20,583

    Re: Isnít faith being central targeting stupid people??

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    Ah, the argument from ignorance. Got it. The lack of reasoning to come to the unwarrented conclusion and false claims is noted.
    Lol...no. Everything I said was 100% spot on. You think you can dismiss it with an off-handed comment, that makes no actual refutation, but you can't. The reason you can't is because you're unable to. But hey...everyone will defend their faith. You're no different.
    ďThere are no self-proclaimed villains, only regiments of self-proclaimed saints. Victorious historians rule where good or evil lies.Ē ― Glen Cook, Chronicles of the Black Company

  3. #33
    Ugly bag of mostly water
    it's just me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,777

    Re: Isnít faith being central targeting stupid people??

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
    Odd question to ask someone else when you don't even believe Jesus is who he said he was...lol...
    He's not Michael the Archangel, that's for sure...
    "Political bias optional, conformity a MUST!"

  4. #34
    Sage

    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    44,144

    Re: Isnít faith being central targeting stupid people??

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishking View Post
    Lol...no. Everything I said was 100% spot on. You think you can dismiss it with an off-handed comment, that makes no actual refutation, but you can't. The reason you can't is because you're unable to. But hey...everyone will defend their faith. You're no different.
    You can believe it all you want, but that doesn't make it true.

    You build a straw man, shoot it down, and proclaim victory. You also employ the 'God of the Gaps' fallacy. Good Job
    Na-mask-ee The mask I wear to protect you recognizes the mask you wear to protect me.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Fishking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    20,583

    Re: Isnít faith being central targeting stupid people??

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    You can believe it all you want, but that doesn't make it true.

    You build a straw man, shoot it down, and proclaim victory. You also employ the 'God of the Gaps' fallacy. Good Job
    There is no strawman fallacy here. I have not taken someone else's argument and misrepresented it, which is what a strawman fallacy is. So here we have you not even understanding the definition of basic words but you think you're capable of refuting my argument. That's cute. Further, it's not a "God of the Gaps" anything. There were no "gaps" mentioned in my comments. There was a singular "gap". That gap is abiogenesis, which is nothing more than fancied up spontaneous generation of life, which has been refuted by actual science. The characteristics of life that I highlight in my comment are part of biology.

    The scientific reality is that chemicals will never be able to arrange themselves into a living organism. It's never happened, hasn't been shown to happen, has a lot of evidence it can't happen...but here you are defending your faith because that is what people do.
    ďThere are no self-proclaimed villains, only regiments of self-proclaimed saints. Victorious historians rule where good or evil lies.Ē ― Glen Cook, Chronicles of the Black Company

  6. #36
    Sage

    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    44,144

    Re: Isnít faith being central targeting stupid people??

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishking View Post
    There is no strawman fallacy here. I have not taken someone else's argument and misrepresented it, which is what a strawman fallacy is. So here we have you not even understanding the definition of basic words but you think you're capable of refuting my argument. That's cute. Further, it's not a "God of the Gaps" anything. There were no "gaps" mentioned in my comments. There was a singular "gap". That gap is abiogenesis, which is nothing more than fancied up spontaneous generation of life, which has been refuted by actual science. The characteristics of life that I highlight in my comment are part of biology.

    The scientific reality is that chemicals will never be able to arrange themselves into a living organism. It's never happened, hasn't been shown to happen, has a lot of evidence it can't happen...but here you are defending your faith because that is what people do.
    Let's see you show the claim 'The scientific reality is that chemical s will never be abe to arrange themselves into a living organism' is true. PRove it.

    Show the it's never happened. Show the evidence it can't happen.

    You make claims based on faith, but can't show to be true.
    Na-mask-ee The mask I wear to protect you recognizes the mask you wear to protect me.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Fishking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    20,583

    Re: Isnít faith being central targeting stupid people??

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    Let's see you show the claim 'The scientific reality is that chemical s will never be abe to arrange themselves into a living organism' is true. PRove it.

    Show the it's never happened. Show the evidence it can't happen.

    You make claims based on faith, but can't show to be true.
    Ah...now you're trying to make me prove a negative. Who's making the fallacy again? It's never been observed and it's never been replicated. There is no evidence of it happening. Literally there is nothing to support it having happened except a declarative assertion that it must've happened if there was no intervention from some kind of outside source which would be defined as some kind of deity.

    So, ironically, you've hoisted yourself on your own petard because it is on you to actually prove it happened. And since you literally have no proof of that, you are admittedly operating off of faith.
    Nope.jpg
    ďThere are no self-proclaimed villains, only regiments of self-proclaimed saints. Victorious historians rule where good or evil lies.Ē ― Glen Cook, Chronicles of the Black Company

  8. #38
    Sage

    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    44,144

    Re: Isnít faith being central targeting stupid people??

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishking View Post
    Ah...now you're trying to make me prove a negative. Who's making the fallacy again? It's never been observed and it's never been replicated. There is no evidence of it happening. Literally there is nothing to support it having happened except a declarative assertion that it must've happened if there was no intervention from some kind of outside source which would be defined as some kind of deity.

    So, ironically, you've hoisted yourself on your own petard because it is on you to actually prove it happened. And since you literally have no proof of that, you are admittedly operating off of faith.
    Nope.jpg
    PRove, nonsense. How about providing sources and evidence for your claim. You made a positive claim. The burden of proof is on you. Now you are doing the logical fallacy of 'Shifting the burden of proof'. You also made statements that are demostratable false. For example, you have dirt, which is not alive. Put a seed in there, and the substance of the dirt gets aborbed, and part of a living organism.. where dead chemicals become alive.

    Then, of course, it has been shown that there are some RNA that can self replicate in the proper environment, and the variations of that RNA that replicate more effectively become more common in the solution. That could be enough to jump start
    dead chemicals into life. RNA world - Wikipedia
    Na-mask-ee The mask I wear to protect you recognizes the mask you wear to protect me.

  9. #39
    Professor
    Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Apache Junction, Arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,296

    Re: Isnít faith being central targeting stupid people??

    Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    Faith doesn't target stupid people, it targets emotional people.
    What's an "emotional" person?
    Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

  10. #40
    Professor
    Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Apache Junction, Arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,296

    Re: Isnít faith being central targeting stupid people??

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    PRove, nonsense. How about providing sources and evidence for your claim. You made a positive claim. The burden of proof is on you. Now you are doing the logical fallacy of 'Shifting the burden of proof'. You also made statements that are demostratable false. For example, you have dirt, which is not alive. Put a seed in there, and the substance of the dirt gets aborbed, and part of a living organism.. where dead chemicals become alive.

    Then, of course, it has been shown that there are some RNA that can self replicate in the proper environment, and the variations of that RNA that replicate more effectively become more common in the solution. That could be enough to jump start
    dead chemicals into life. RNA world - Wikipedia
    Erm, "RNA World" isn't real, just sayin.
    Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •