Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 310

Thread: Meaning & Mystery

  1. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    06-04-20 @ 10:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,236

    Re: Meaning & Mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by TypicalRussian View Post
    God is Real
    There's just as much evidence Harry Potter is Real. Do you believe in him as well?

  2. #282
    Sage TypicalRussian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,465

    Re: Meaning & Mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by gboisjo View Post
    Says who?, you.
    says me and other theists with evidence

  3. #283
    Sage TypicalRussian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,465

    Re: Meaning & Mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    Why wouldn't he do that?
    answer the question, why was it bad that God did that?

  4. #284
    Sage TypicalRussian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,465

    Re: Meaning & Mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by gboisjo View Post
    The Cosmological Argument is an attempt to prove the existence of God by the fact that things exist, cause and effect, for every action there's a reaction. It assumes that things must have a cause, and that the chain of causes can only have begun by a supernatural event. all of that is fine, its when religion gets its grubby paws on the equation, its when things go south. When religion pretends to know the creator, if there is one, Its when the Cosmological Argument becomes a joke.

    There's a theory in science that says the universe is infinite, a pulsating universe, it has no beginning or end. Another theory is black holes eventually gobble up all matter and the dust creates universes somewhere else.

    All we can do is ponder the questions, its when we pretend to know the answers is when we are truly stupid.

    Every great genius gets to a point in life where he or she realizes, I know nothing.
    the universe has not infinite existed, an infinite regress of EVENTS in not philosophically sound.

    Most scientists accept the Temporal Finitism theory today

    Immanuel Kant's argument for temporal finitism, at least in one direction, from his First Antinomy, runs as follows:[7][8]

    If we assume that the world has no beginning in time, then up to every given moment an eternity has elapsed, and there has passed away in that world an infinite series of successive states of things. Now the infinity of a series consists in the fact that it can never be completed through successive synthesis. It thus follows that it is impossible for an infinite world-series to have passed away, and that a beginning of the world is therefore a necessary condition of the world's existence.

     Immanuel Kant, First Antinomy, of Space and Time

  5. #285
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    06-04-20 @ 10:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,236

    Re: Meaning & Mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by TypicalRussian View Post
    the universe has not infinite existed, an infinite regress of EVENTS in not philosophically sound.

    Most scientists accept the Temporal Finitism theory today
    Then where did you God come from? No special pleading.

  6. #286
    Student gboisjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    277

    Re: Meaning & Mystery

    There are many competing hypotheses about the ultimate fate of the universe and about what, if anything, preceded the Big Bang. Quoting Immanuel Kant who was born April 22, 1724 does little, if nothing, to bolster the argument. Many physicists and philosophers refuse to speculate, doubting that information about prior states will ever be accessible. (those who practice humility, of course).

    The prevailing model for the evolution of the universe is the Big Bang theory. The idea that god through our understanding of the bible had anything to do with the Big Bang is laughable.

    Eternal return (also known as eternal recurrence) is a theory in philosophy is that the universe and all existence and energy has been recurring, and will continue to recur, in a self-similar form an infinite number of times across infinite time or space.

    the truth of the matter is this, so far, astronomers have no idea what the answer is, but they're working towards it and maybe someday they'll be able to tell us, maybe not.

  7. #287
    Sage TypicalRussian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,465

    Re: Meaning & Mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by JustHanging View Post
    Then where did you God come from? No special pleading.
    But, but where could God come from

    Made a thread on it

    Basically, God is not in the observable universe therefore does not conform to the laws

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    06-04-20 @ 10:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,236

    Re: Meaning & Mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by TypicalRussian View Post
    But, but where could God come from

    Made a thread on it

    Basically, God is not in the observable universe therefore does not conform to the laws
    Excellent! Thank you.


    EDIT: So yeah, you used special pleading. I specifically asked where God came from without special pleading.

    You say:

    Quote Originally Posted by TypicalRussian View Post
    the universe has not infinite existed, an infinite regress of EVENTS in not philosophically sound.
    So how did your god come about, that the universe couldn't have come about the same way?
    Last edited by JustHanging; 05-22-20 at 05:34 PM.

  9. #289
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    07-04-20 @ 05:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,001
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Meaning & Mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Alternate Title:

    The Semiotic Argument For God's Existence

    Spread the word. There's a new argument in town
    Are you able to read the prose of the world?
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  10. #290
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    07-04-20 @ 05:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,001
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Meaning & Mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by JustHanging View Post
    ...So how did your god come about, that the universe couldn't have come about the same way?
    Your understanding of this question has all the depth of a NYC puddle after a rainstorm.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •