Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 423

Thread: Prove Your God Without Contradictions

  1. #1
    Ass in a Hat


    calamity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    111,904

    Prove Your God Without Contradictions

    As I understand it, the belief goes something like this.

    God is all knowing and all powerful but he lets you do what you want even though it makes him unhappy. God is perfect, but yet 99% of all the creatures he created are now extinct and 100% of all things he brought to life will for sure one day die. God is loving, but suffering is essential, and failure of fealty results in eternity spent being tortured.

    You get the picture. So, my challenge to the faithful: resolve these contradictions without introducing more of them.
    "Donald Trump is Jesus to followers of Jesus who reject the actual teachings of Jesus."

    Found on twitter

  2. #2
    New Killer Star Dans La Lune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    One Night in Bangkok
    Last Seen
    02-12-20 @ 12:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,648

    Re: Prove Your God Without Contradictions

    It's difficult for God to be perfect, and thus worshippable, when he basically admitted that the Old Testament is BS via Jesus.

    The whole point of Jesus is a reforming the Old Testament into something more palatable. Jesus is an incarnation of God who says, 'Don't listen to my Father (aka me), listen to me.'
    “I believe that If we're successful in this election, when we're successful in this election, that the fever may break [for Republicans]” - Obama, 2012

    ”Republicans ‘know better’, ‘will change after Trump’...” - Joe Biden, 2019

  3. #3
    Ass in a Hat


    calamity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    111,904

    Re: Prove Your God Without Contradictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Dans La Lune View Post
    It's difficult for God to be perfect, and thus worshippable, when he basically admitted that the Old Testament is BS via Jesus.

    The whole point of Jesus is a reforming the Old Testament into something more palatable. Jesus is an incarnation of God who says, 'Don't listen to my Father (aka me), listen to me.'
    Yes, good point. God also seems to want his own do-overs.

    Flood would be his failure to get it right the first time. N/T seems to be his attempt to rewrite the rules.
    "Donald Trump is Jesus to followers of Jesus who reject the actual teachings of Jesus."

    Found on twitter

  4. #4
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,262

    Re: Prove Your God Without Contradictions

    (This should end well.)
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid." - Penn Jillette.

  5. #5
    Professor swing_voter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    'Murica
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,573

    Re: Prove Your God Without Contradictions

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    As I understand it, the belief goes something like this.

    God is all knowing and all powerful but he lets you do what you want even though it makes him unhappy. God is perfect, but yet 99% of all the creatures he created are now extinct and 100% of all things he brought to life will for sure one day die. God is loving, but suffering is essential, and failure of fealty results in eternity spent being tortured.

    You get the picture. So, my challenge to the faithful: resolve these contradictions without introducing more of them.


    Religion is based on faith. Either you have faith or you don't.

    There are mysteries in religion that have no explanation. There are mysteries in science that have no explanation.

    I like Jesus and I follow his teachings.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    20,344

    Re: Prove Your God Without Contradictions

    Quote Originally Posted by swing_voter View Post
    I like Jesus and I follow his teachings.
    Are there any "teachings from jesus" that can't, or couldn't be obtained from multiple other sources (including common sense and basic humanity) throughout the world?

  7. #7
    Ass in a Hat


    calamity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    111,904

    Re: Prove Your God Without Contradictions

    Quote Originally Posted by swing_voter View Post
    Religion is based on faith. Either you have faith or you don't.

    There are mysteries in religion that have no explanation. There are mysteries in science that have no explanation.

    I like Jesus and I follow his teachings.
    Seems people should want more than just blind faith.
    "Donald Trump is Jesus to followers of Jesus who reject the actual teachings of Jesus."

    Found on twitter

  8. #8
    Ass in a Hat


    calamity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    111,904

    Re: Prove Your God Without Contradictions

    The fealty question is one of many I seem unable to answer logically. Why would any thinking person give it to an imaginary being based on nothing but the word of some ancients scribbling in scrolls?

    It makes about as much sense as a cancer patient refusing chemo and seeking medicine from a Chinese herb shop.
    "Donald Trump is Jesus to followers of Jesus who reject the actual teachings of Jesus."

    Found on twitter

  9. #9
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    01-10-20 @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,565

    Re: Prove Your God Without Contradictions

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    As I understand it, the belief goes something like this.

    God is all knowing and all powerful but he lets you do what you want even though it makes him unhappy. God is perfect, but yet 99% of all the creatures he created are now extinct and 100% of all things he brought to life will for sure one day die. God is loving, but suffering is essential, and failure of fealty results in eternity spent being tortured.

    You get the picture. So, my challenge to the faithful: resolve these contradictions without introducing more of them.
    Nah... Happy New Year, bud.
    Life's too short...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mashmont View Post
    Winning comes so easily, I barely have to think about it. I've been called the Donald Trump of forum for good reason.

  10. #10
    Ass in a Hat


    calamity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    111,904

    Re: Prove Your God Without Contradictions

    Quote Originally Posted by OlNate View Post
    Nah... Happy New Year, bud.
    Not to bug ya or anything, but I gotta ask.

    Is this like saying "I'm good with my beliefs because...well, because they are my beliefs"?

    If so, then that's the part I don't get. Me, I'm one of those "show me" kind of dudes. I don't take anyone else's word for anything and never assume an assumption to be correct without seeing it proven. But then again, I kind of do that "doubting Thomas" thing for a living. So, it makes sense. I guess.
    "Donald Trump is Jesus to followers of Jesus who reject the actual teachings of Jesus."

    Found on twitter

Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •