Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 557

Thread: Beliefs and Skepticism

  1. #421
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,461
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Beliefs and Skepticism

    Now that that awful noise has died down, perhaps we can get back to the business at hand: the roasting of Internet Skepticism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Beliefs and Skepticism

    Belief - acceptance of an idea as true; the idea so accepted
    Skepticism - doubt about the truth of an idea; the doubt itself




    The Blind Men and the Elephant
    by John Godfrey Saxe (1816-1887)

    It was six men of Indostan,
    To learning much inclined,
    Who went to see the Elephant
    (Though all of them were blind),
    That each by observation
    Might satisfy his mind.

    The First approach'd the Elephant,
    And happening to fall
    Against his broad and sturdy side,
    At once began to bawl:
    "God bless me! but the Elephant
    Is very like a wall!"

    The Second, feeling of the tusk,
    Cried, -"Ho! what have we here
    So very round and smooth and sharp?
    To me 'tis mighty clear,
    This wonder of an Elephant
    Is very like a spear!"

    The Third approach'd the animal,
    And happening to take
    The squirming trunk within his hands,
    Thus boldly up and spake:
    "I see," -quoth he- "the Elephant
    Is very like a snake!"

    The Fourth reached out an eager hand,
    And felt about the knee:
    "What most this wondrous beast is like
    Is mighty plain," -quoth he,-
    "'Tis clear enough the Elephant
    Is very like a tree!"

    The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
    Said- "E'en the blindest man
    Can tell what this resembles most;
    Deny the fact who can,
    This marvel of an Elephant
    Is very like a fan!"

    The Sixth no sooner had begun
    About the beast to grope,
    Then, seizing on the swinging tail
    That fell within his scope,
    "I see," -quoth he,- "the Elephant
    Is very like a rope!"

    And so these men of Indostan
    Disputed loud and long,
    Each in his own opinion
    Exceeding stiff and strong,
    Though each was partly in the right,
    And all were in the wrong!

    MORAL,

    So, oft in theologic wars
    The disputants, I ween,
    Tread on in utter ignorance
    Of what each other mean;
    And prate about an Elephant
    Not one of them has seen!

    Just so a Seventh stumbles in,
    A skeptic, I presume,
    And overreaches from behind
    In atheistic gloom
    Denying what the blind can see
    The Elephant in the room



    The theme of the classic poem in the new light of the amended verse is that while the skeptic doubts the conclusions of the blind men as to the nature of the beast,
    the skeptic misses the very existence of the beast he knows intimately.

    Comments?
    Questions?
    Doubts?
    Denials?


    Blind Men and the Elephant
    John Godfrey Saxe - Poems by the Famous Poet - All Poetry
    NB Last stanza composed by Angel Trismegistus.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  2. #422
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,461
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Beliefs and Skepticism

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    And you are wrong (as usual) Your beliefs are not facts and all your attempts to prove them have been nothing more but convoluted statements of your beliefs not proofs at all
    This point of view on belief has been shown to be self-defeating if not self-contradictory and therefore absurd, and shown thus in two other presently active threads.
    Time to hang up those spurs.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  3. #423
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,461
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Beliefs and Skepticism

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Wow...just wow.
    Just wow? Not wowser?
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  4. #424
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,360

    Re: Beliefs and Skepticism

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    This point of view on belief has been shown to be self-defeating if not self-contradictory and therefore absurd, and shown thus in two other presently active threads.
    Time to hang up those spurs.
    Still trying to divert from your inability to support your claims with that strawman I see
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  5. #425
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,461
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Beliefs and Skepticism

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Still trying to divert from your inability to support your claims with that strawman I see
    Like you, I have supported my claims by appeal to the dictionary and the choice of a definition of belief that accords with what I mean.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  6. #426
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,461
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Beliefs and Skepticism

    Quote Originally Posted by NWO_Spook View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post

    Just so a Seventh stumbles in,
    A skeptic, I presume,
    And overreaches from behind
    In atheistic gloom
    Denying what the blind can see
    The Elephant in the room



    The theme of the classic poem in the new light of the amended verse is that while the skeptic doubts the conclusions of the blind men as to the nature of the beast,
    the skeptic misses the very existence of the beast he knows intimately.
    Comment: WTH is wrong with you? You're so infantile it's unbelievable. How old are you?
    I'm 101 years old. Now, can you or can you not read the parodied stanza for meaning? Your posts always contain personal derogation and are rarely on point.
    Do you get the joke or not?
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  7. #427
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,310

    Re: Beliefs and Skepticism

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    And you are wrong (as usual) Your beliefs are not facts and all your attempts to prove them have been nothing more but convoluted statements of your beliefs not proofs at all
    The basic argument is flawed. It boils down to: If the existence of X is not absolutely impossible then X exists. Which is why God(s), mermaids, unicorns, leprechauns and Bigfoot must exist.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #428
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,360

    Re: Beliefs and Skepticism

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Like you, I have supported my claims by appeal to the dictionary and the choice of a definition of belief that accords with what I mean.
    Diversion with strawman noted
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  9. #429
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,360

    Re: Beliefs and Skepticism

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The basic argument is flawed. It boils down to: If the existence of X is not absolutely impossible then X exists. Which is why God(s), mermaids, unicorns, leprechauns and Bigfoot must exist.
    All his arguments are flawed and they all rely on unsupported and unsupportable claims
    Last edited by Quag; 03-22-20 at 07:38 AM.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  10. #430
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,461
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Beliefs and Skepticism

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Diversion with strawman noted
    No diversion, no strawman -- just Quag's "argument" making all argument and discussion futile. This is proven and on record. Stop the Internet Skeptic tactics and face the music.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •