View Poll Results: Was my Shabbat activities good or bad

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sinful because they violated every rule in the book on the use of power, driving, etc.

    0 0%
  • Sinful because I skipped a customary religious observance

    0 0%
  • Mixed bag (please explain on thread)

    0 0%
  • Mitzvah because it helped with a charity

    3 100.00%
  • Mitzvah because I visited the aging

    3 100.00%
  • Mitzvah because I remembered old friendships and carried them forward

    3 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Was Missing (Jewish) Torah Study a Sin or a Mitzvah?

  1. #1
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City area
    Last Seen
    11-17-19 @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    749

    Was Missing (Jewish) Torah Study a Sin or a Mitzvah?

    Yesterday I decided on the spur of the moment to do three things:

    Run in the Terry Fox run;
    Visit my 91 year old uncle in New York City that lived near the run course; and
    Called one my deceased mother's close friends and found out, with the usual challenges inherent in being 88 years old, she's doing fairly well.

    I am posting these here because I did them in place of my planned (almost) weekly visit to Torah study. Here's the question; we just atoned for our sins to G-d and, did I sin again immediately, or did I do a mitzvah? I provided a poll for you to decide.

    I maintain it's a mitzvah. The Terry Fox run is a benefit for cancer research. During the mid-1980's Terry Fox, whose leg was amputated due to bone cancer, started a run across Canada, called the "Marathon of Hope." He started in Newfoundland, certain passages obviously being made by ferry. He made it running on his prosthetic leg as far as Thunder Bay, Ontario. For the uninitiated Thunder Bay is roughly at the same position east-westwise as Duluth, Minnesota. At that point the metastasis of the cancer to his lungs forced a sudden stop of the trip, which was slated to end in Vancouver, BC. He died less than a year later. This is an annual run to which I donate when I can't go. Purely because I believe in it.

    Immediately after (well, after canceling a credit card I lost along the way) I drove 25 blocks uptown to visit my 91 year old uncle. He was doing as well as can be expected; walks hunched over with a bad back, but is mentally sharp. His sister, my mother, died of dementia at 82.

    When I got home I called one of my mother's close friends, whose name came up in conversation with my uncle and whose phone number I had memorized (it was a digit off his dental office's number, which I called every year, once a year, from 1974 to his retirement in or about 2003). She was 88 and was also sharp. But facing typical health challenges of an 88 year old. Her 64 year old son is still playing tennis despite a 30 year battle with MS.

    So, your opinion, were my activities mitzvah or sin?

  2. #2
    Sage
    zyzygy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Flanders.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    36,939

    Re: Was Missing (Jewish) Torah Study a Sin or a Mitzvah?

    Quote Originally Posted by JBG View Post
    Yesterday I decided on the spur of the moment to do three things:

    Run in the Terry Fox run;
    Visit my 91 year old uncle in New York City that lived near the run course; and
    Called one my deceased mother's close friends and found out, with the usual challenges inherent in being 88 years old, she's doing fairly well.

    I am posting these here because I did them in place of my planned (almost) weekly visit to Torah study. Here's the question; we just atoned for our sins to G-d and, did I sin again immediately, or did I do a mitzvah? I provided a poll for you to decide.

    I maintain it's a mitzvah. The Terry Fox run is a benefit for cancer research. During the mid-1980's Terry Fox, whose leg was amputated due to bone cancer, started a run across Canada, called the "Marathon of Hope." He started in Newfoundland, certain passages obviously being made by ferry. He made it running on his prosthetic leg as far as Thunder Bay, Ontario. For the uninitiated Thunder Bay is roughly at the same position east-westwise as Duluth, Minnesota. At that point the metastasis of the cancer to his lungs forced a sudden stop of the trip, which was slated to end in Vancouver, BC. He died less than a year later. This is an annual run to which I donate when I can't go. Purely because I believe in it.

    Immediately after (well, after canceling a credit card I lost along the way) I drove 25 blocks uptown to visit my 91 year old uncle. He was doing as well as can be expected; walks hunched over with a bad back, but is mentally sharp. His sister, my mother, died of dementia at 82.

    When I got home I called one of my mother's close friends, whose name came up in conversation with my uncle and whose phone number I had memorized (it was a digit off his dental office's number, which I called every year, once a year, from 1974 to his retirement in or about 2003). She was 88 and was also sharp. But facing typical health challenges of an 88 year old. Her 64 year old son is still playing tennis despite a 30 year battle with MS.

    So, your opinion, were my activities mitzvah or sin?
    They were just normal activities.
    Originally Posted by Mashmont
    "Because the right isn't hate-filled."

    "the perfect nature of the Catholic Church"-Mashmont

  3. #3
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,835
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Was Missing (Jewish) Torah Study a Sin or a Mitzvah?

    Quote Originally Posted by JBG View Post
    ...So, your opinion, were my activities mitzvah or sin?
    Mitzvah.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  4. #4
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,835
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Was Missing (Jewish) Torah Study a Sin or a Mitzvah?

    Quote Originally Posted by zyzygy View Post
    They were just normal activities.
    Normal for you, for JBG? What are you even talking about?
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  5. #5
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City area
    Last Seen
    11-17-19 @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    749

    Re: Was Missing (Jewish) Torah Study a Sin or a Mitzvah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Normal for you, for JBG? What are you even talking about?
    They are not everyday activities. It has been a while since I ran in an organized race. The last visit to my uncle was about a year ago, give or take. I last called my mother's friend back in 2014 to inform her of my mother's death.

  6. #6
    Sage
    ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,644

    Re: Was Missing (Jewish) Torah Study a Sin or a Mitzvah?

    Just as a fun tangent: I was reading about this new deli that has opened up in the ritzy Georgetown neighborhood of Washington DC. It's apparently doing very well, with lines going out half a block every morning of people waiting for their fresh bagels and coffee. It's called "Call Your Mother", and is described as a "Jew-ish deli", because one of the owners' parents is Jewish. I thought it's a hilarious poke at the sort of feeling of guilt Jewish moms like to give their kids sometimes.

    So you're being a good boy by doing all those things. Now eat! Eat!

  7. #7
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City area
    Last Seen
    11-17-19 @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    749

    Re: Was Missing (Jewish) Torah Study a Sin or a Mitzvah?

    Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
    Just as a fun tangent: I was reading about this new deli that has opened up in the ritzy Georgetown neighborhood of Washington DC. It's apparently doing very well, with lines going out half a block every morning of people waiting for their fresh bagels and coffee. It's called "Call Your Mother", and is described as a "Jew-ish deli", because one of the owners' parents is Jewish. I thought it's a hilarious poke at the sort of feeling of guilt Jewish moms like to give their kids sometimes.

    So you're being a good boy by doing all those things. Now eat! Eat!
    Nice story.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,835
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Was Missing (Jewish) Torah Study a Sin or a Mitzvah?

    Quote Originally Posted by JBG View Post
    They are not everyday activities. It has been a while since I ran in an organized race. The last visit to my uncle was about a year ago, give or take. I last called my mother's friend back in 2014 to inform her of my mother's death.
    To my mind, the concept of mitzvah ranks at the very top of religious concepts.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  9. #9
    A Little Bitter

    Mr Person's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    27,746

    Re: Was Missing (Jewish) Torah Study a Sin or a Mitzvah?

    If Judaism has any core substantive meaning it's this: do the right thing because it is the right thing. (After all, didn't an alleged Jew called Jesus basically tell people to stop being such dicks to each other?)



    Some who focuses unbendingly on literal text puts form over substance, and is wrong in doing so for any number of reasons but mainly because people wrote that text.
    Zelensky: [. . .] We are ready to continue to cooperate for the next steps specifically we are almost ready to buy more Javelins from the United States for defense purposes.

    Trump: I would like you to do us a favor though [. . . ]

  10. #10
    Sage
    ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,644

    Re: Was Missing (Jewish) Torah Study a Sin or a Mitzvah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Person View Post
    If Judaism has any core substantive meaning it's this: do the right thing because it is the right thing. (After all, didn't an alleged Jew called Jesus basically tell people to stop being such dicks to each other?)



    Some who focuses unbendingly on literal text puts form over substance, and is wrong in doing so for any number of reasons but mainly because people wrote that text.
    Hmmm.... interesting. It reminds me of this (the Jewish version of the Golden Rule. All religions, after all, have some version of this):

    "That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah; the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •