Page 87 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 870 of 1017

Thread: [W: 355] Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

  1. #861
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    8,777

    Re: Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    not true the you can believe what you want but your wrong if you don't agree with me is something she clearly extends to all
    Fair enough...

    +1 attention
    Life's too short...

  2. #862
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    8,777

    Re: Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    not true the you can believe what you want but your wrong if you don't agree with me is something she clearly extends to all
    To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure any person of faith gets to tell someone else they are wrong regarding elements of faith. If you look at what I've been saying, it's been about being different, not wrong.
    Life's too short...

  3. #863
    Sage

    Elvira's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Down South
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,931

    Re: Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    not true the you can believe what you want but your wrong if you don't agree with me is something she clearly extends to all
    Exactly...believe what you like...just don't expect me to lie to you and say it is truth when I believe no such thing...
    "If any man thinks he is a worshipper of God but does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he is deceiving his own heart, and his worship is futile." James 1:26

  4. #864
    Sage

    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,580

    Re: [W: 355] Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cordelier View Post
    So the difference in this case is that God produced the movie, God directed the movie... God wrote the script and built the set. God was in charge of lighting. And we are just the actors. We hit our marks and and we say our lines and strut our hour on the stage, and then our role is done.... and somehow we're the ones who set it up?
    “Tis all a Checkerboard of Nights and Days Where Destiny with Men for Pieces plays: Hither and thither moves, and mates, and stays, And one by one back in the Closet lays.”
    Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    There is no such thing as "fields of science". Science does not consist of "fields". It consists of falsifiable theories.

  5. #865
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,295
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: [W: 355] Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    “Tis all a Checkerboard of Nights and Days Where Destiny with Men for Pieces plays: Hither and thither moves, and mates, and stays, And one by one back in the Closet lays.”
    You might have done us the courtesy of crediting the quote. Anyway, the attribution, for those interested, is given at the link below:



    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

    -- William Ernest Henley (1849-1903), from "Invictus"


    Fred's Place: The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam: Quatrain XLIX
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>

  6. #866
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,382

    Re: Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    The later messianic authors betrayed the original texts.


    OM
    It did not.


    The Hebrew word in Isaiah 7:14 is "almah," and its inherent meaning is "young woman." "Almah" can mean "virgin," as young unmarried women in ancient Hebrew culture were assumed to be virgins. Again, though, the word does not necessarily imply virginity.

    "Almah" occurs seven times in the Hebrew Scriptures (Genesis 24:43; Exodus 2:8; Psalm 68:25; Proverbs 30:19; Song of Solomon 1:3; 6:8; Isaiah 7:14). None of these instances demands the meaning "virgin," but neither do they deny the possible meaning of "virgin." There is no conclusive argument for "almah" in Isaiah 7:14 being either "young woman" or "virgin."

    However, it is interesting to note, that in the 3rd century B.C., when a panel of Hebrew scholars and Jewish rabbis began the process of translating the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek, they used the specific Greek word for virgin, "parthenos," not the more generic Greek word for "young woman."

    The Septuagint translators, 200+ years before the birth of Christ, and with no inherent belief in a "virgin birth," translated "almah" in Isaiah 7:14 as "virgin," not "young woman." This gives evidence that "virgin" is a possible, even likely, meaning of the term.
    https://www.gotquestions.org/virgin-or-young-woman.html

  7. #867
    Advisor Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    374

    Re: Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

    Quote Originally Posted by tosca1 View Post
    Skewed, as they often did.


    OM

  8. #868
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,819

    Re: [W: 355] Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    You might have done us the courtesy of crediting the quote. Anyway, the attribution, for those interested, is given at the link below:



    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

    -- William Ernest Henley (1849-1903), from "Invictus"


    Fred's Place: The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam: Quatrain XLIX
    Only problem with that is that he is not the master of his fate.

    He will stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ like everyone else, and THAT Master will decide his fate.
    "Progressives aren't really progressive. They're regressive, all the way back to Sodom and Gomorrah." - author unknown

  9. #869
    Professor
    Cordelier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,316

    Re: [W: 355] Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

    Quote Originally Posted by tosca1 View Post
    That's not the analogy I was talking about. However, in a way.....yes, it can be somewhat analogous.

    Corrections:

    God produced the movie and built the set, includes props and lighting, and casting (creation).....

    ........God wrote the plot (Scriptures), and directed the movie (His Plan - FREE WILL - Salvation and Second Judgement).........

    ...........then, sat back, got some popcorn, and watched what He already knew would happen.



    Anyway, why do you still concern yourself about all this?
    Why should it matter to you how God planned everything - whether it's like a movie-production or not?

    You already made your choice, right?

    You'd prefer anything - including Satan (your own words) - but, never God.



    You are with Satan............ am I right, or am I wrong?
    Surely you can see for yourself the contradiction between believing in a divine plan and believing in free will. Either God is deterministic or he is not. To borrow from the exchange between Sherif Ali (Omar Sharif) and Lawrence (Peter O'Toole) in Lawrence of Arabia (since we're on the topic of movies, might as well pick a good one), either everything is written or nothing is written... there is no in-between.

    I didn't say whether I believed in God or not... all I said was that I didn't believe in your version of God. To me, any God worth worship has to transcend religion. I'm not condemning religion, per se... I view any religion as simply a means for people to understand in their own way, and in the context of their own culture, some of the nature of God. But take any religion for it is - any of us can only perceive a piece of God's nature. It's like the parable of the blind men and the Elephant - what religion teaches us to perceive is very probably something very different from the true nature of God. If we all understood that and accepted that, then perhaps we'd all not be in such a hurry to judge others.
    "If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell!" --- Carl Sandburg

  10. #870
    Professor
    Cordelier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,316

    Re: Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

    Quote Originally Posted by tosca1 View Post
    LOL. Then, why bring up the dog as a rebuttal? And now you tell me you don't know?

    So....you admit you give up rebuttals that you're ignorant about. You're kinda just "winging" it?





    Hahaha....if you don't even know what goes on in a dog's head......now you claim you know the mind of God!





    That's already been explained.







    Pointless!
    You don't want to be in paradise (however that may be like)!
    You said so yourself. You prefer Satan to God.

    Therefore.....I'll ignore you now.....until you have something worth responding to.
    So what makes you so sure what goes through a dog's head?

    *LOL* You're dismissing me because you think I'm Satanic? I would have figured a literal reading of Christian scripture (The parable of the prodigal son comes to mind) would encourage you to redouble your efforts to make me see the error of my ways. I see where you're coming from, though... Jesus always taught the faithful never to associate with prostitutes or pagans or especially tax collectors. After all, only the pure of faith and those without sin were allowed to be in His presence.
    "If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell!" --- Carl Sandburg

Page 87 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •