Page 80 of 167 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 1670

Thread: God and The Meaning of Life

  1. #791
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,285

    Re: God and The Meaning of Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Those are all valid deductive arguments. If you care to challenge a premise, then by all means do so. Let's hear your argument.

    All men are religious animals.
    Quag is a man.
    Therefore, Quag is a religious animal.

    All modifications of spirit are religious in nature.
    Emotions are modifications of spirit.
    Therefore, emotions are religious in nature.

    All emotions are essentially religious in nature.
    Gladness is an emotion.
    Therefore, gladness is essentially religious in nature.
    The bolded are all just claims
    You claimed that all emotions are essentially religious in nature.
    I asked for your argument of that claim and all you did was repeat the claim then add a therefore after it. That is not an argument for the claim at all it is merely a claim
    The others are the same, just unsupported claims there is no argument to be made when your starting point is the problem.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  2. #792
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,200
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: God and The Meaning of Life

    Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    Nice list of unsubstantiated claims. Word games do not make reality. Emotions are physical states that are reactions to stimuli affecting the brain and nervous system. They have nothing to do with the concept of religion at all.
    That "list" is called logic. And my "word games" have an advantage over your "word games" -- mine aren't dictated by doctrine like yours, and mine reflect an open mind.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>

  3. #793
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,200
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: God and The Meaning of Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    The bolded are all just claims
    You claimed that all emotions are essentially religious in nature.
    I asked for your argument of that claim and all you did was repeat the claim then add a therefore after it. That is not an argument for the claim at all it is merely a claim
    The others are the same, just unsupported claims there is no argument to be made when your starting point is the problem.
    Look, Quag, I don't want to engage in another twenty posts trying to correct your misunderstandings/mischaracterizations of my points and arguments. The thesis we were discussing is "gladness is essentially a religious emotion." That thesis appears as a conclusion in my arguments. How about an argument from you? Pick one of the premises you bolded and explain why you think it is problematic. I have arguments for all of them, but first you've got to offer more in our exchanges than assertions of non-acceptance. I would like some reasons from you for your challenges.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>

  4. #794
    Visual Opportunist
    Tanngrisnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,124

    Re: God and The Meaning of Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    The universal constants are mathematical, and they point to intelligence in the design of the universe.

    Here's another video that may make the point to your satisfaction.

    Yes, they are mathematical and, no, you are simply superimposing your desire for a creator over them. They do not point to intelligent design. The Anthropic Principle confirms this.
    Well, he see this one particularly hot chick and not does she bag he slackjawed, but he lets a "Whoa" slip out

  5. #795
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,200
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: God and The Meaning of Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanngrisnir View Post
    Yes, they are mathematical and, no, you are simply superimposing your desire for a creator over them. They do not point to intelligent design. The Anthropic Principle confirms this.
    How does the Anthropic Principle "confirm" your view, and in turn how does your view escape the Anthropic Principle?
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>

  6. #796
    Visual Opportunist
    Tanngrisnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,124

    Re: God and The Meaning of Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    How does the Anthropic Principle "confirm" your view, and in turn how does your view escape the Anthropic Principle?
    The universe isn't particularly fine-tuned for our existence. If it and it's conditions were different, we would be different.
    Well, he see this one particularly hot chick and not does she bag he slackjawed, but he lets a "Whoa" slip out

  7. #797
    Guru

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,043

    Re: God and The Meaning of Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    I didn't actually think that was your argument but it was a pretty classic example of Pascals wager so I thought I should point it out
    This is why I said you were "blessed with a mind of high technical intelligence"

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    I dont even think you can argue that one religious belief more probable than another but I suppose someone can try
    One would have a better chance at doing that than arguing that it is definitely true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Yeah but sometimes ya need to just let it out
    Definitely.

  8. #798
    Sage
    devildavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-04-18 @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,389

    Re: God and The Meaning of Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    That "list" is called logic. And my "word games" have an advantage over your "word games" -- mine aren't dictated by doctrine like yours, and mine reflect an open mind.
    The list is not logical at all. You opened your mind and logic escaped.
    Remember Bowling Green! Remember Atlanta! Remember Sweden!

  9. #799
    Sage
    zyzygy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Flanders.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: God and The Meaning of Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanngrisnir View Post
    The universe isn't particularly fine-tuned for our existence. If it and it's conditions were different, we would be different.
    And most of the universe would kill us instantly.

  10. #800
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,285

    Re: God and The Meaning of Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Look, Quag, I don't want to engage in another twenty posts trying to correct your misunderstandings/mischaracterizations of my points and arguments. The thesis we were discussing is "gladness is essentially a religious emotion." That thesis appears as a conclusion in my arguments. How about an argument from you? Pick one of the premises you bolded and explain why you think it is problematic. I have arguments for all of them, but first you've got to offer more in our exchanges than assertions of non-acceptance. I would like some reasons from you for your challenges.
    The claims are problematic because there is no reason for them to be true
    I could rewrite them with anything and be at exactly the same place.
    You cant start a logical argument to prove something from an unproven claim, that is not logical.
    All men are religious animals is a claim. It has no more validity than saying all mean are made from ice cream
    All modifications of spirit are religious in nature is a claim. It has no more validity than saying all modifications in spirit are lactose in nature
    All emotions are essentially religious in nature is a claim. It has no more validity than all emotions are essentially are lactose in nature
    I challenge you because you made an unspported claim then when I asked for your evidence to back up the claim your provided just more claims and no actual arguemnt that backs it up.
    Now if you want to admit that your claim is nothing more than a belief that is fine but since you have stated that you have an argument to defend the claim please provide said argument.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •