Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

  1. #1
    Sage
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    51,312

    Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    The moderation team has concluded a thorough review of the various sections of the forum relating to Religious and Philosophical beliefs. In the early days of Debate Politics, the two topics were found in a single joint forum. Over time, they have been split apart and rules have been put in place with the hopes of better facilitating different topics of debate and discussion. However, in recent months we’ve identified a number of issues relating to our goals with these two sections.

    If we enforced the rules in each section too stringently, then legitimate debate between belief and disbelief would be stifled, which would run counter to our original goals of facilitating more diverse debating topics. However, by not enforcing them in a very narrow fashion, we found that both sections still too often found their threads being derailed from their theological / philosophical foundation into the more standard back and forth fight. As such, the team has noted growing discontent within a varied portion of our user base, and conflict in terms of this forums goals.

    Due to this observation, the moderation team is instituting a realignment and alteration to the sections of the forum focused around these kind of discussions. We believe this realignment will best provide venues where all manners of these kind of debates can occur. The follow realignment will occur as follows:



    1. The Philosophical Discussions, Religious Discussions, and Religion and Politics sections will be closed and archived

    2. A section will be created under the “Non-Political Forum” titled Beliefs and Skepticism
    - Description: “For debating and discussing matters relating to beliefs from a skeptical and/or faith-based standpoint.”
    - Purpose: General free-for-all discussion forum anything relating to systems of belief, or the lack there of. A place for those desiring to debate these topics with those from a wide variety of foundational standpoints.
    - Rule Set: Standard Forum Rules.

    3. A subsection will be created under Beliefs and Skepticism entitled Philosophy
    - Description: “Discussions and debate regarding the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence from a non-religious basis.”
    - Purpose: A place to discuss philosophical matters free from those relying on faith in the divine, scripture, or other religious basis.
    - Rule Set: Threads and posts that are critical of disbelief, or are focused on attacking religion/spirituality, are not allowed. Posts/threads from a religious basis, or deemed overly antagonistic towards non-belief, will be considered “trolling”.

    4. A subsection will be created under Beliefs and Skepticism entitled Theology
    - Description: “Discussion of religion and spirituality from a theological, faith-based foundation.”
    - Purpose: A place to discuss religious matters from a religious mindset and free from any sort of derailment or focus on disbelief from a non-religious stand point.
    - Rule Set: Threads and posts that are critical of religion or its spiritual aspects in a broad fashion, or are focused on attacking non-belief, are not allowed. Skeptical posts/threads from a non-religious basis, or ones deemed overly antagonistic towards religious beliefs, will be considered “trolling”.

    5. Both the Philosophy and Theology sub sections will adhere to 2-4-6 method of section suspension/bans, similar to in the Abortion (ATTENTION: New Rules for the Abortion Forum) and Conspiracy Theory (ATTENTION: New Rules for the Conspiracy Theory Forum) sections of the forum
    This means that your second infraction or thread ban within a year in one of these sections will result in a one week suspension from that section. Your fourth instance within a year will result in a month long suspension form the section. Finally, your sixth violation within a year will result in a permanent banishment from that section. These totals are tied to the specific section (i.e. violations that occur in Theology aren’t counted towards your violation totals in Philosophy and vice versa. Likewise, a suspension in Philosophy does not restrict your participation in Theology and vice versa).



    To begin, we will leave this thread open to answer any general questions people may have. Please note that rule 6a DOES still apply, and that the purpose of leaving this thread open is to help clarify matters regarding the change and not simply as a means for any poster to air their grievances with the forum, these rules, or other posters. If the thread begins to go down that path it will be closed.
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 01-17-18 at 11:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.
    "That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved." - Benjamin Franklin

  2. #2
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,486
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    Thanks to the entire mod team for these changes. I'm certain this took a lot of time and hard work to achieve, and it is very much appreciated.

  3. #3
    The Anti**Machiavellian
    Abbazorkzog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Post-Societal Collapse
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,168
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The moderation team has concluded a thorough review of the various sections of the forum relating to Religious and Philosophical beliefs. In the early days of Debate Politics, the two topics were found in a single joint forum. Over time, they have been split apart and rules have been put in place with the hopes of better facilitating different topics of debate and discussion. However, in recent months we’ve identified a number of issues relating to our goals with these two sections.

    If we enforced the rules in each section too stringently, then legitimate debate between belief and disbelief would be stifled, which would run counter to our original goals of facilitating more diverse debating topics. However, by not enforcing them in a very narrow fashion, we found that both sections still too often found their threads being derailed from their theological / philosophical foundation into the more standard back and forth fight. As such, the team has noted growing discontent within a varied portion of our user base, and conflict in terms of this forums goals.

    Due to this observation, the moderation team is instituting a realignment and alteration to the sections of the forum focused around these kind of discussions. We believe this realignment will best provide venues where all manners of these kind of debates can occur. The follow realignment will occur as follows:



    1. The Philosophical Discussions, Religious Discussions, and Religion and Politics sections will be closed and archived

    2. A section will be created under the “Non-Political Forum” titled Beliefs and Skepticism
    - Description: “For debating and discussing matters relating to beliefs from a skeptical and/or faith-based standpoint.”
    - Purpose: General free-for-all discussion forum anything relating to systems of belief, or the lack there of. A place for those desiring to debate these topics with those from a wide variety of foundational standpoints.
    - Rule Set: Standard Forum Rules.

    3. A subsection will be created under Beliefs and Skepticism entitled Philosophy
    - Description: “Discussions and debate regarding the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence from a non-religious basis.”
    - Purpose: A place to discuss philosophical matters free from those relying on faith in the divine, scripture, or other religious basis.
    - Rule Set: Threads and posts that are critical of disbelief, or are focused on attacking religion/spirituality, are not allowed. Posts/threads from a religious basis, or deemed overly antagonistic towards non-belief, will be considered “trolling”.

    4. A subsection will be created under Beliefs and Skepticism entitled Theology
    - Description: “Discussion of religion and spirituality from a theological, faith-based foundation.”
    - Purpose: A place to discuss religious matters from a religious mindset and free from any sort of derailment or focus on disbelief from a non-religious stand point.
    - Rule Set: Threads and posts that are critical of religion or its spiritual aspects in a broad fashion, or are focused on attacking non-belief, are not allowed. Skeptical posts/threads from a non-religious basis, or ones deemed overly antagonistic towards religious beliefs, will be considered “trolling”.

    5. Both the Philosophy and Theology sub sections will adhere to 2-4-6 method of section suspension/bans, similar to in the Abortion (ATTENTION: New Rules for the Abortion Forum) and Conspiracy Theory (ATTENTION: New Rules for the Conspiracy Theory Forum) sections of the forum
    This means that your second infraction or thread ban within a year in one of these sections will result in a one week suspension from that section. Your fourth instance within a year will result in a month long suspension form the section. Finally, your sixth violation within a year will result in a permanent banishment from that section. These totals are tied to the specific section (i.e. violations that occur in Theology aren’t counted towards your violation totals in Philosophy and vice versa. Likewise, a suspension in Philosophy does not restrict your participation in Theology and vice versa).



    To begin, we will leave this thread open to answer any general questions people may have. Please note that rule 6a DOES still apply, and that the purpose of leaving this thread open is to help clarify matters regarding the change and not simply as a means for any poster to air their grievances with the forum, these rules, or other posters. If the thread begins to go down that path it will be closed.
    That makes so much more sense than the last setup.

  4. #4
    Sage

    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    04-25-19 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,626

    Re: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    A place where believers wont be derailed, a place where skeptics wont be derailed, and a place where believers and skeptics can hash it out? Sounds good to me.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42,747
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Thanks to the entire mod team for these changes. I'm certain this took a lot of time and hard work to achieve, and it is very much appreciated.
    *currently looks sickly, as if he hasn't eaten or drank anything for days and days*

    Meh, it was nutin'. *sickly smile*



















  6. #6
    Sage
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    51,312

    Re: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic Bob View Post
    A place where believers won’t be derailed, a place where skeptics won’t be derailed, and a place where believers and skeptics can hash it out? Sounds good to me.
    Stop being more succinct than me
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.
    "That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved." - Benjamin Franklin

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:26 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    99,831
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Stop being more succinct than me
    Like he could be more wordy than you....
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Ive always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  8. #8
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    61,072

    Re: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    Great way to break this debate topic down. Looks to be a nice and very positive change.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #9
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,486
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    *currently looks sickly, as if he hasn't eaten or drank anything for days and days*

    Meh, it was nutin'. *sickly smile*


















    I believe it!

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42,747
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I believe it!
    Actually I didn't do much. Gave my 2 cents for what was proposed is all. There are far smarter people than me on the Mod team after all. I'm just average.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •