Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

  1. #21
    Sage
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    51,312

    Re: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    But f'rinstance, two believers could conceivably hash it out between their two respective religions, yes?
    Correct, debating the differences between two religions, from a religious foundation, would be a suitable type of thing for the Theology forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.
    "That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved." - Benjamin Franklin

  2. #22
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,538

    Re: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    I don't feel there is really a practical distinction between theology and philosophy. In many of the discussions I've had with others in the past, online or in person, we visited many overlapping themes between the two. With simplified discussions it's easy to put topics into column A or B but I'm concerned that the rare advanced discussion may tread into blurry territory. I trust that the moderation team will use due diligence when assessing?

    My interpretation is that two themes have been artificially separated because skeptics and believers have trouble exercising self-control and respect.

  3. #23
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    09-08-18 @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,282

    Re: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    Kudos to the mods for this. I think it will be a better solution.

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    I don't feel there is really a practical distinction between theology and philosophy. In many of the discussions I've had with others in the past, online or in person, we visited many overlapping themes between the two. With simplified discussions it's easy to put topics into column A or B but I'm concerned that the rare advanced discussion may tread into blurry territory. I trust that the moderation team will use due diligence when assessing?

    My interpretation is that two themes have been artificially separated because skeptics and believers have trouble exercising self-control and respect.
    Yes, that's exactly the reason. But I think in the context of trying to moderate a very large forum, on a subject that can easy turn heated for a lot of people, it serves the community better to have what is perhaps a more regimented solution that allows for smoother functioning, because ultimately, that's the only way any degree of nuance will ever be even vaguely possible with this number of people, some of whom are a bit hot-headed on the subject. It does the forum no good to not have a way to deal with the people who would just show up in every thread tossing out drive-by a/theist hate posts (and we have had those people, which is the entire reason the religion/philosophy forum got divided in the first place). It's not always infractable on other grounds, and even when it is, the damage is done, as far as the integrity of the thread is concerned.

    Would but the internet were filled with entirely reasonable people, but unfortunately it isn't, and DP is big enough to suffer for it if certain steps aren't taken.

    But really, if you want to try for those nuanced discussions, I don't see what's wrong with putting it in the Beliefs and Scepticism main sub, so that whatever discussion happens there will be acceptable.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    51,312

    Re: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    My interpretation is that two themes have been artificially separated because skeptics and believers have trouble exercising self-control and respect.
    Yes...
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.
    "That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved." - Benjamin Franklin

  5. #25
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    221

    Re: Forum Changes (1/17/18)

    And Stephen Fry is neither of these things,so your point IS?????

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •