Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 81

Thread: If personal morality take precedence over the Constitution we get bad law .

  1. #1
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,896

    If personal morality take precedence over the Constitution we get bad law .

    High numbers of abortions in the US are a social problem today. Alcoholism was a social problem in the late 19, early 20th century. In 1919 those morally opposed to drinking, passed the 18th Amendment, drove alcohol underground, popularized illegal drinking and made the problem worse.

    Social problems are solved by finding and addressing the cause not by criminalizing an activity. Banning abortion ignores the root cause, drives it underground where it is unregulated and creates serious health and mortality problems.

    Making abortion illegal because of one groups personal morality is unconstitutional and makes bad law.

    Morality is not a substitute for intelligent law.

  2. #2
    we live in a society
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    11-17-19 @ 06:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,977

    Re: If personal morality take precedence over the Constitution we get bad law .

    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2 View Post
    High numbers of abortions in the US are a social problem today. Alcoholism was a social problem in the late 19, early 20th century. In 1919 those morally opposed to drinking, passed the 18th Amendment, drove alcohol underground, popularized illegal drinking and made the problem worse.

    Social problems are solved by finding and addressing the cause not by criminalizing an activity. Banning abortion ignores the root cause, drives it underground where it is unregulated and creates serious health and mortality problems.

    Making abortion illegal because of one groups personal morality is unconstitutional and makes bad law.

    Morality is not a substitute for intelligent law.
    Nice argument against writing legislation from a position of moral outrage, but I have one criticism: abortion is getting less frequent. Abortion is only perceived as a social problem, because American conservatives won't stop bitching about their book saying abortion is bad, nevermind the fact that it doesn't actually say that anywhere in their book.
    "The state calls its own violence law, nobody bats an eye. But that of the individual is called crime, and everyone loses their minds."
    -meme man Stirner

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    18,641

    Re: If personal morality take precedence over the Constitution we get bad law .

    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2 View Post
    High numbers of abortions in the US are a social problem today. Alcoholism was a social problem in the late 19, early 20th century. In 1919 those morally opposed to drinking, passed the 18th Amendment, drove alcohol underground, popularized illegal drinking and made the problem worse.

    Social problems are solved by finding and addressing the cause not by criminalizing an activity. Banning abortion ignores the root cause, drives it underground where it is unregulated and creates serious health and mortality problems.

    Making abortion illegal because of one groups personal morality is unconstitutional and makes bad law.

    Morality is not a substitute for intelligent law.
    Pragmatic options would be nice. Slut shaming does not work.

    Giving women who are at risk for choosing abortion (too rich for Medicaid/too poor for insurance) a pathway to be able to afford the most reliable contraception - implantables and IUDs. Currently the cost for that group of women is about $800-$1000 /which is about 2x the cost of an abortion.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,118
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: If personal morality take precedence over the Constitution we get bad law .

    Abortion must remain legal on moral grounds, but abortion culture must be denounced, also on moral grounds.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  5. #5
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,896

    Re: If personal morality take precedence over the Constitution we get bad law .

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    Nice argument against writing legislation from a position of moral outrage, but I have one criticism: abortion is getting less frequent. Abortion is only perceived as a social problem, because American conservatives won't stop bitching about their book saying abortion is bad, nevermind the fact that it doesn't actually say that anywhere in their book.
    Abortion is decreasing, however the number is still quite high compared to other countries. Unfortunately religious conservatives are not just bitching they are using abortion as a litmus test for the conservative agenda and primary-ing of candidates that don't pass. Legal abortion is collateral damage on the way to achieving the goals of ALEC.

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,707

    Re: If personal morality take precedence over the Constitution we get bad law .

    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2 View Post
    High numbers of abortions in the US are a social problem today. Alcoholism was a social problem in the late 19, early 20th century. In 1919 those morally opposed to drinking, passed the 18th Amendment, drove alcohol underground, popularized illegal drinking and made the problem worse.

    Social problems are solved by finding and addressing the cause not by criminalizing an activity. Banning abortion ignores the root cause, drives it underground where it is unregulated and creates serious health and mortality problems.

    Making abortion illegal because of one groups personal morality is unconstitutional and makes bad law.

    Morality is not a substitute for intelligent law.


    You're implying that one group is moral and the other is immoral. Please clarify your perspective.

  7. #7
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,086

    Re: If personal morality take precedence over the Constitution we get bad law .

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Abortion must remain legal on moral grounds, but abortion culture must be denounced, also on moral grounds.
    Please demonstrate where US society *promotes* abortion above birth control, having sex responsibly, having children, etc?

    Also, please define "abortion culture."

    I cant think of any rational definition, esp. since in America, most pregnant women, *by far*, choose to have their babies and the abortion rate goes down every year.

    But please, I welcome your direct counter-argument(s) and answers. Please do so before introducing new questions or arguments.
    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    This seems less like palliative care and more like a last meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Parrots of the Caribbean For Abortion!
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #8
    we live in a society
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    11-17-19 @ 06:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,977

    Re: If personal morality take precedence over the Constitution we get bad law .

    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2 View Post
    Abortion is decreasing, however the number is still quite high compared to other countries. Unfortunately religious conservatives are not just bitching they are using abortion as a litmus test for the conservative agenda and primary-ing of candidates that don't pass. Legal abortion is collateral damage on the way to achieving the goals of ALEC.
    Well then, we're going to have to dismantle the rest of the conservative agenda & fix our massive income inequality problem if we want to lower our numbers of abortions to be in line with nations with actual social safety nets & access to proper birth control.
    "The state calls its own violence law, nobody bats an eye. But that of the individual is called crime, and everyone loses their minds."
    -meme man Stirner

  9. #9
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,754

    Re: If personal morality take precedence over the Constitution we get bad law .

    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2 View Post
    High numbers of abortions in the US are a social problem today. Alcoholism was a social problem in the late 19, early 20th century. In 1919 those morally opposed to drinking, passed the 18th Amendment, drove alcohol underground, popularized illegal drinking and made the problem worse.

    Social problems are solved by finding and addressing the cause not by criminalizing an activity. Banning abortion ignores the root cause, drives it underground where it is unregulated and creates serious health and mortality problems.

    Making abortion illegal because of one groups personal morality is unconstitutional and makes bad law.

    Morality is not a substitute for intelligent law.
    Not that i disagree but morality is subjective so thats the main reason a law cant be based on just that. "morals" will never be a valid defendable stance on abortion.
    Also abortiosn numbers are way down! FYI
    I dont really have any worries about abortin laws because the constitution isnt changing any time soon and we wont be violating womans rights anytime soon and making them second class citizens

    theres a reason the majority of first world countries with rights and freedoms have laws that reflect prochoice and theres a reason why countries that ban or mostly ban abortions are usually 3rd world, dictatorships and or theocracies . .

    Luckily abortion is here to stay . .little battles may change it here and there but thats about it
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    There is no such thing as a "Zef."
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.

  10. #10
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,754

    Re: If personal morality take precedence over the Constitution we get bad law .

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Abortion must remain legal on moral grounds, but abortion culture must be denounced, also on moral grounds.
    morals are subjective
    factual define "abortion" culture
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    There is no such thing as a "Zef."
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •