Page 63 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 1217

Thread: [W:344:1201]License to Kill

  1. #621
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,805

    Re: License to Kill

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    I don't know what work your "very" is supposed to do, but if one person observes a bear lumbering toward her yard and perceives in its approach a cause for alarm and a possible threat to her life, and another person observes a bear lumbering toward his yard but does not perceive in its approach a cause for alarm and a possible threat to his life, then, since they are observing the same objective set of circumstances, their different perceptions must have an explanation. Maybe the man is an animal trainer and the approaching bear belongs to him. Maybe the man is a fool and hasn't sense enough to recognize a dangerous situation. Maybe the man is an animal rights activist and truly believes that wild animals do not pose a threat unless provoked. Maybe the man is a fur trapper and is luring the bear toward a trap. If we all agree that the approach of a bear is cause for alarm and a possible threat to life, then the differing perceptions in our hypothetical must have an explanation.

    That explanation, whatever it is, accounts for their different perceptions.

    To bring this hypothetical back to our topic: if two people observe the taking of a human life, and one perceives it as immoral while the other does not perceive it as immoral, or perceives it as moral or a-moral, then, since they both observe the same act, there must be an explanation for their different moral perceptions.
    AWESOME!!!! all more proof that morals are subjective. VERY GOOD!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Hispanics are one issue voters. The primary issues all relate to legality & immigration, & how they can make their illegal relatives safe in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    There is no such thing as a "Zef."
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.

  2. #622
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: License to Kill

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    [CENTER][B]Morality and Moral Judgmentt

    Morality is Objective
    Moral Judgment is Subjective

    Morality is biologically grounded in the survival instinct
    Life is the fundamental value of morality

    The value of Life informs the emotions of Fear and Disgust, Sympathy and Empathy
    Emotions are objective measurable states of being

    Feeling is the consciousness of emotion
    With feeling subjectivity enters moral dynamics

    Moral judgment (subjective) derives from Feeling (subjective),

    Feeling from Emotion (objective),

    Emotion from the Survival Instinct (objective)

    The Survival Instinct from the Value of Life (hardwired)
    This is is not an argument against abortion or against the women who choose abortion. It is not an argument for or against the morality of abortion.

  3. #623
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,254
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: License to Kill

    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2 View Post
    This is is not an argument against abortion or against the women who choose abortion. It is not an argument for or against the morality of abortion.
    What it was, sir, was an attempt to clarify terms and conditions for those who have shown in their posts a persistent misunderstanding of the argument.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  4. #624
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,254
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: License to Kill

    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2 View Post
    This is is not an argument against abortion or against the women who choose abortion...
    The OP Argument

    1. Abortion law since 1973 has allowed for the killing, with impunity, of 50 million human beings.
    2. Killing 50 million human beings with impunity constitutes a license to kill.
    3. Therefore, abortion law constitutes a license to kill.

    "This is is not an argument against abortion or against the women who choose abortion." Correct. But it is the argument of this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2 View Post
    It is not an argument for or against the morality of abortion.
    Correct. The argument from morality is a separate argument, also posted. Perhaps I'll find it for you if you need it.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  5. #625
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,805

    Re: License to Kill

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    The OP Argument

    2. Killing 50 million human beings with impunity constitutes a license to kill.
    3. Therefore, abortion law constitutes a license to kill.

    "This is is not an argument against abortion or against the women who choose abortion." Correct. But it is the argument of this thread.


    Correct. The argument from morality is a separate argument, also posted. Perhaps I'll find it for you if you need it.
    glad you posted those failed claims.
    so far 600+ posts theres no factual support that abortion = licenses to kill, or that its a moral catastrophe. . not one fact has been posted that makes either true.

    If you or anybody can do so please do so now, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Hispanics are one issue voters. The primary issues all relate to legality & immigration, & how they can make their illegal relatives safe in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    There is no such thing as a "Zef."
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.

  6. #626
    Sage

    Scrabaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,387

    Re: License to Kill

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    The OP Argument

    1. Abortion law since 1973 has allowed for the killing, with impunity, of 50 million human beings.
    2. Killing 50 million human beings with impunity constitutes a license to kill.
    3. Therefore, abortion law constitutes a license to kill.
    It is illegal to kill human beings. Zefs are not human beings.

  7. #627
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,254
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: License to Kill

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrabaholic View Post
    It is illegal to kill human beings. Zefs are not human beings.
    Politics does not trump biology in designations by genetic identity. There is no such thing as a "Zef."
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  8. #628
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,254
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: License to Kill

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    What one person calls a threat to life may not be perceived as such by another. Very subjective.
    I don't know what work your "very" is supposed to do, but if one person observes a bear lumbering toward her yard and perceives in its approach a cause for alarm and a possible threat to her life, and another person observes a bear lumbering toward his yard but does not perceive in its approach a cause for alarm and a possible threat to his life, then, since they are observing the same objective set of circumstances, their different perceptions must have an explanation. Maybe the man is an animal trainer and the approaching bear belongs to him. Maybe the man is a fool and hasn't sense enough to recognize a dangerous situation. Maybe the man is an animal rights activist and truly believes that wild animals do not pose a threat unless provoked. Maybe the man is a fur trapper and is luring the bear toward a trap. If we all agree that the approach of a bear is cause for alarm and a possible threat to life, then the differing perceptions in our hypothetical must have an explanation.

    That explanation, whatever it is, accounts for their different perceptions.

    To bring this hypothetical back to our topic: if two people observe the taking of a human life, and one perceives it as immoral while the other does not perceive it as immoral, or perceives it as moral or a-moral, then, since they both observe the same act, there must be an explanation for their different moral perceptions.
    One explanation is that the pro-abortion moralist has been sold a bill of goods about a mythical entity known as a "Zef."
    "The Zef" is a bit of jabberwocky right out of Lewis Carroll.
    Last edited by Angel; 10-13-19 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spacing
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  9. #629
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,157

    Re: License to Kill

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    The OP Argument

    1. Abortion law since 1973 has allowed for the killing, with impunity, of 50 million human beings.
    2. Killing 50 million human beings with impunity constitutes a license to kill.
    3. Therefore, abortion law constitutes a license to kill.


    "This is is not an argument against abortion or against the women who choose abortion." Correct. But it is the argument of this thread.
    I completely ruined this "explanation" about 25 pages ago. Please acknowledge your pointless repetition here...it's not an 'argument:'

    The bold, your number 1, is not even being contested...abortion is legal (the 'license to kill' you refer to).
    2 gives a date, no one's disputing that. Otherwise, redundant
    3 is also redundant and remains uncontested

    So...what was your argument again?


    And just FYI, you did write:

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Lursa: the legalization is the license.
    So I wish to discuss, as you offered:

    Please...articulate your argument again...one that doesnt use circular "logic". Good lord it's not even circular, it's repetition.
    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    This seems less like palliative care and more like a last meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Parrots of the Caribbean For Abortion!
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #630
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,254
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: License to Kill

    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2 View Post
    ...It is not an argument for or against the morality of abortion.
    The Moral Argument

    1. Taking human life, except in self-defense, is immoral.
    2. Abortion is taking human life.
    3. Therefore, abortion, except to save the life of the woman, is immoral.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •