Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 266

Thread: [W:103]Abortion is legal

  1. #81
    Advisor RobertU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Vacaville, CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    468

    re: [W:103]Abortion is legal

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    You are reaching.

    Roe has been reaffirmed 10 times.

    Gorsuch agreed that Roe was settled law.

    If I recall correctly 7 Justices were conservative when the Planned Parenthood v Casey Case was decided by the Surpreme Court.
    Many pro life people were hopeful Roe would be overturned or struck down because the court was conservative yet the best that thing the conservative Court could come up with was the undue burden clause.

    As Kavanaugh said during his Senate hearing for appointment to Surpreme Court Casey was “precedent on precedent “.


    From the following:


    The Casey Case: Roe Revisited? | www.streetlaw.org
    Brett Kavanaugh likely gives the Supreme Court the votes to overturn Roe. Here’s how they’d do it.

    Source: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...abortion-trump
    The real source of your dreams
    https://www.cloud29.us/holywood.html

  2. #82
    Sage

    Scrabaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,775

    re: [W:103]Abortion is legal

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertU View Post
    Brett Kavanaugh likely gives the Supreme Court the votes to overturn Roe. Here’s how they’d do it.

    Source: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...abortion-trump
    There would have to be a justifiable reason to overturn it, regardless of their personal opinion on abortion. How often do SC decisions get overturned?

  3. #83
    Sage


    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,619

    re: [W:103]Abortion is legal

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertU View Post
    Brett Kavanaugh likely gives the Supreme Court the votes to overturn Roe. Here’s how they’d do it.

    Source: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...abortion-trump
    I am curious, if R v W is overturned, do you really think abortions would drastically decrease? I argue that they might even INCREASE. Pushers that no longer sell weed because of the legalization of marijuana can have a new drug to sell. SO many cities do not have Planned Parenthood, and now that will be less relevant. Abortions via pill may even become more accessible and cheaper (albeit less safe without MD)

  4. #84
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    817

    re: [W:103]Abortion is legal

    Slavery was once "legal" too but that didnt make it right either, did it.

  5. #85
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,289

    re: [W:103]Abortion is legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Logical1 View Post
    Slavery was once "legal" too but that didnt make it right either, did it.
    Slavery involved people.

    Abortion only involves one person: the pregnant woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    This seems less like palliative care and more like a last meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wan View Post
    You can think that I am stupid all you want. It won't stop me from being racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #86
    Advisor RobertU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Vacaville, CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    468

    re: [W:103]Abortion is legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrabaholic View Post
    There would have to be a justifiable reason to overturn it, regardless of their personal opinion on abortion. How often do SC decisions get overturned?
    As noted in the linked article:

    The Supreme Court, by contrast, can overturn its own precedents. It’s usually hesitant to do so, but just this term it threw out three decades-old rulings: 1977’s Abood v. Detroit Board of Education, 1967’s National Bellas Hess v. Illinois, and 1992’s Quill Corp. v. North Dakota.
    The real source of your dreams
    https://www.cloud29.us/holywood.html

  7. #87
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,289

    re: [W:103]Abortion is legal

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertU View Post
    As noted in the linked article:

    The Supreme Court, by contrast, can overturn its own precedents. It’s usually hesitant to do so, but just this term it threw out three decades-old rulings: 1977’s Abood v. Detroit Board of Education, 1967’s National Bellas Hess v. Illinois, and 1992’s Quill Corp. v. North Dakota.
    I read the article you posted from Vox.

    Not sure you understood it.

    Can you give me...as previously requested...a legal basis to overturn RvW? What new legal considerations for SCOTUS to look at?
    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    This seems less like palliative care and more like a last meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wan View Post
    You can think that I am stupid all you want. It won't stop me from being racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #88
    Advisor RobertU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Vacaville, CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    468

    re: [W:103]Abortion is legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I read the article you posted from Vox.

    Not sure you understood it.

    Can you give me...as previously requested...a legal basis to overturn RvW? What new legal considerations for SCOTUS to look at?
    What part of "Brett Kavanaugh likely gives the Supreme Court the votes to overturn Roe. Here’s how they’d do it." don't you understand?
    The real source of your dreams
    https://www.cloud29.us/holywood.html

  9. #89
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,289

    re: [W:103]Abortion is legal

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertU View Post
    What part of "Brett Kavanaugh likely gives the Supreme Court the votes to overturn Roe. Here’s how they’d do it." don't you understand?
    So then the answer to my question should be in the article. I didnt see it....so please quote it.
    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    This seems less like palliative care and more like a last meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wan View Post
    You can think that I am stupid all you want. It won't stop me from being racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #90
    Sage

    Scrabaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,775

    re: [W:103]Abortion is legal

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertU View Post
    As noted in the linked article:

    The Supreme Court, by contrast, can overturn its own precedents. It’s usually hesitant to do so, but just this term it threw out three decades-old rulings: 1977’s Abood v. Detroit Board of Education, 1967’s National Bellas Hess v. Illinois, and 1992’s Quill Corp. v. North Dakota.
    I repeat: There would have to be a justifiable reason to overturn it, regardless of their personal opinion on abortion.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •