Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 62

Thread: Abortion and the Earnings Gap

  1. #31
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,104

    Re: Abortion and the Earnings Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    Why is it that when a woman makes a personal choice, she is 'empowered,' yet when a man makes a personal choice, he is a "deadbeat?"

    You think I'm wrong, but the definition of extortion is very clear.

    I have proven you wrong, but I want to also show you why your argument is antithetical to the American way of life. First of all, I support the use of birth control and it should be a prerogative of both men and women. But if it is your argument is that men are "empowered" by being sexually neutralized, then I find that offensive as an American. We live in a rich, diverse culture. This is not a white nation, and it is not a nation of women. To some extent, we can coexist with one another peacefully. But we did not achieve this by sterilizing our country. We will not achieve it by sterilizing men. Condoms break, and it should not be up to a woman what to do with a man's money if she chooses to puncture his condom.

    So, will America be ruled despots who criminalize ejaculation or sterilize men to achieve some end? I certainly hope not, because a country in which men are oppressed is not a country where I want to live. That is offensive and disgusting to any honest, red-blooded American man.
    Surely any honest, red-blooded American man is competent and responsible enough to take the very simple and necessary steps to avoid impregnating someone unintentionally? Driving a car is not criminalized, but if you act like a jackass, and you smash into something, you're on the hook for the damage. If it was combined negligence with another party, so are they. This is the basic concept of liability and responsibility, I'm not sure why some men feel like what they do with their dick should be excluded from that.

    Empowerment vs. dead beat. I mean, it's down to definitions, not sure why this is upsetting. Women have been empowered with the right to bodily autonomy. It's a verb, and doesn't imply good or bad, one way or the other. It is what it is. And when men shirk their legally defined obligation to their children, they're dead beats...it's a term with a specific definition, again, it is what it is. Not sure how else to answer your question.

    Again, if you want to make things easier for men to have sex without getting themselves in an 18 year jam, let's talk about how to do that without simply giving men a pass, and leaving women holding the bag if they decide that they don't want an abortion. The law supports her, and most people support the law, so don't waste you time on impotent initiatives (excuse the pun) when you could be solving your problem in a different direction. Those nasty women can't puncture a pill you took earlier in the day.

    As for it being un-American...I mean, whatever...I'm Canadian, so that doesn't really pull at any heart strings...though I would have thought that being personal accountability and being responsible for one's actions was something I would have thought of when considering Americans. It's disappointing to see you don't think so. I'm not sure why you're talking about sterilization. I wasn't.

    Sorry, man, despite the drama and fear mongering injected into your response, it's still nothing more than what I hear from my five year old when he doesn't want to take responsibility for something he's done that ended up in unexpected consequences he's not happy about...it's the same tactic, and I think if you want to address your very adult problems, you need an adult approach.
    Life's too short...

  2. #32
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:44 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,200

    Re: Abortion and the Earnings Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Men have a "civil right" to do so!

    Said no legitimate legal sources ever
    Dred Scott also could not call on any legal precedent

  3. #33
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    13,808

    Re: Abortion and the Earnings Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by vegas giants View Post
    Dred Scott also could not call on any legal precedent
    You are not a slave. There is one thing a man can do to make sure he does not pay child support. Don't have vaginal sex with a woman that he does not wish to potentially be tied to for 18 years if he should get he r pregnant. Now if he brings his own condoms and uses them properly each and every time and disposes of them himself, he can be relatively certain he will not have the 18 year outcome either.

    A black person in the US at that time period was relatively powerless to escape slavery. There was no simple thing he could do to avoid being captured and sold (or born) into slavery.

    You have a brain (in the head above your neck) so you can escape what YOU call slavery by a simple decision that only you can make.

    What you equate to the SCOTUS decision in the Dred Scott case is beyond silly.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:44 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,200

    Re: Abortion and the Earnings Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    You are not a slave. There is one thing a man can do to make sure he does not pay child support. Don't have vaginal sex with a woman that he does not wish to potentially be tied to for 18 years if he should get he r pregnant. Now if he brings his own condoms and uses them properly each and every time and disposes of them himself, he can be relatively certain he will not have the 18 year outcome either.

    A black person in the US at that time period was relatively powerless to escape slavery. There was no simple thing he could do to avoid being captured and sold (or born) into slavery.

    You have a brain (in the head above your neck) so you can escape what YOU call slavery by a simple decision that only you can make.

    What you equate to the SCOTUS decision in the Dred Scott case is beyond silly.
    If I say:

    You are not a slave. There is one thing a woman can do to make sure she does not get pregnant. Don't have vaginal sex with a man that she does not wish to potentially be tied to for 18 years if she should get pregnant. Now if she brings her own birth control and uses them properly each and every time and disposes of them herself, she can be relatively certain she will not get pregnant either.

    I am somehow slut shamimg. But you can attack men as being irresponsible but fully let women off the hook. It is disgusting.

  5. #35
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,104

    Re: Abortion and the Earnings Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    You are not a slave. There is one thing a man can do to make sure he does not pay child support. Don't have vaginal sex with a woman that he does not wish to potentially be tied to for 18 years if he should get he r pregnant. Now if he brings his own condoms and uses them properly each and every time and disposes of them himself, he can be relatively certain he will not have the 18 year outcome either.

    A black person in the US at that time period was relatively powerless to escape slavery. There was no simple thing he could do to avoid being captured and sold (or born) into slavery.

    You have a brain (in the head above your neck) so you can escape what YOU call slavery by a simple decision that only you can make.

    What you equate to the SCOTUS decision in the Dred Scott case is beyond silly.
    You're right, of course, but this is a fight you won't win - not for lack of logic or eloquence, but due to the same reason you can't break through a concrete barrier with a calculator. No matter how smart it is, you just can't break through something so thick.

    Don't worry, most men don't think this way.
    Life's too short...

  6. #36
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:44 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,200

    Re: Abortion and the Earnings Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by OlNate View Post
    You're right, of course, but this is a fight you won't win - not for lack of logic or eloquence, but due to the same reason you can't break through a concrete barrier with a calculator. No matter how smart it is, you just can't break through something so thick.

    Don't worry, most men don't think this way.
    Many slaves were also unwilling to fight back against slavery. Some of us are man enough to do it though

  7. #37
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,952

    Re: Abortion and the Earnings Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Men have a "civil right" to do so!

    Said no legitimate legal sources ever
    Constitutionally, laws must only guarantee that men and women are treated the same if they are "similarly situated" - which they are not in matters of reproduction.

    Civil rights are rights that one obtains by being a legal member of a certain political state. In other words, Civil Rights will change based on where a person claims citizenship because civil rights are, in essence, an agreement between the citizen and the nation or state that the citizen lives within.

    Currently there is no Amendment that will address reproductive equality. And there’s no provisions in the most recent version of the Civil Rights Act to deal with reproductive equality.

    And I don’t see a Civil Liberty (i.e. the right to marry) correlation regarding reproductive equality.

    The Federal government really shys away from Family/Domestic Law issues because each state develops their own Family Codes, which includes issues related to Child Support.

    The above said, I do realize that Men’s Rights Groups focus on the timeframe of post conception prior to viability.

    But to somehow alter the Constitution with the purpose to create reproductive equality - by the mere Machanics of human reproduction, mix with individual moral values - “true equality” between men and women can never really be achieved. And from an economic form of equality constructed around reproduction - because no rights groups or legislative bodies anywhere on the planet have figured out how to make it work without public assistance - I don’t have a clue how create equality in a way to satisfy all parties and institutions involved.
    “The final key to the way I promote is bravado,” Donald Trump wrote in his 1987 book, “The Art of the Deal.” “I play to people’s fantasies.”

  8. #38
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:44 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,200

    Re: Abortion and the Earnings Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Constitutionally, laws must only guarantee that men and women are treated the same if they are "similarly situated" - which they are not in matters of reproduction.

    Civil rights are rights that one obtains by being a legal member of a certain political state. In other words, Civil Rights will change based on where a person claims citizenship because civil rights are, in essence, an agreement between the citizen and the nation or state that the citizen lives within.

    Currently there is no Amendment that will address reproductive equality. And there’s no provisions in the most recent version of the Civil Rights Act to deal with reproductive equality.

    And I don’t see a Civil Liberty (i.e. the right to marry) correlation regarding reproductive equality.

    The Federal government really shys away from Family/Domestic Law issues because each state develops their own Family Codes, which includes issues related to Child Support.

    The above said, I do realize that Men’s Rights Groups focus on the timeframe of post conception prior to viability.

    But to somehow alter the Constitution with the purpose to create reproductive equality - by the mere Machanics of human reproduction, mix with individual moral values - “true equality” between men and women can never really be achieved. And from an economic form of equality constructed around reproduction - because no rights groups or legislative bodies anywhere on the planet have figured out how to make it work without public assistance - I don’t have a clue how create equality in a way to satisfy all parties and institutions involved.
    True equality is never achieved in many areas that civil rights have come to protect. It never can be. You can not discriminate against someone even if they are not similiarly situated to you. The disabled, the elderly, family status in housing....are never similiarly situated to the people they are claiming they are being discriminated by. Those are just the facts

  9. #39
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,952

    Re: Abortion and the Earnings Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by vegas giants View Post
    True equality is never achieved in many areas that civil rights have come to protect. It never can be. You can not discriminate against someone even if they are not similiarly situated to you. The disabled, the elderly, family status in housing....are never similiarly situated to the people they are claiming they are being discriminated by. Those are just the facts.
    How does being disabled not qualify as similarly situated? Sometimes special accommodations are necessary for disabled to do the same work as other folks. Or to have equal access to public institutions or facilities.

    The law says that the US post office must hire men and women. Most men and women are similarly situated to hold most all jobs. But, if the post office stated that all persons over 6 ft. qualify for jobs, few women could get jobs. That would be discrimination. The definition of person isn’t gender specific. And there are disabled persons who work for the post office. Many are just people who are capable of being similarly situated.

    Obviously a blind person can’t be an Uber driver...YET. But in the near future they might be capable of being similarly situated with a car that is auto piloted. When all cars have automated driving capabilities, but requires a human to be present behind the driver ‘s wheel - maybe there will be special technology/equipment that allows blind persons to do that job????

    You can’t discriminate over immutable characteristics such as skin color. Regardless of skin color people are still people. In this sense all are similarly situated when it relates to equal access to housing.

    My question is:

    Do how do you see human reproduction similarly situated between men and women?
    “The final key to the way I promote is bravado,” Donald Trump wrote in his 1987 book, “The Art of the Deal.” “I play to people’s fantasies.”

  10. #40
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:44 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,200

    Re: Abortion and the Earnings Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    How does being disabled not qualify as similarly situated? Sometimes special accommodations are necessary for disabled to do the same work as other folks. Or to have equal access to public institutions or facilities.

    The law says that the US post office must hire men and women. Most men and women are similarly situated to hold most all jobs. But, if the post office stated that all persons over 6 ft. qualify for jobs, few women could get jobs. That would be discrimination. The definition of person isn’t gender specific. And there are disabled persons who work for the post office. Many are just people who are capable of being similarly situated.

    Obviously a blind person can’t be an Uber driver...YET. But in the near future they might be capable of being similarly situated with a car that is auto piloted. When all cars have automated driving capabilities, but requires a human to be present behind the driver ‘s wheel - maybe there will be special technology/equipment that allows blind persons to do that job????

    You can’t discriminate over immutable characteristics such as skin color. Regardless of skin color people are still people. In this sense all are similarly situated when it relates to equal access to housing.

    My question is:

    Do how do you see human reproduction similarly situated between men and women?
    Now you are mixing up similiarly situated with compelling interest. Discrimination against someone is allowed if compelling interest can be shown that it is the best interest of the government to support that discrimination (the blind uber driver). But a special accomodation EXACTLY says this person is NOT similiarly situated as me but deserves the same rights as me. Men can have a financial opt out which would be exactly what the woman has. How can you not see this?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •