Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 231

Thread: Legally punish women for abortion?

  1. #1
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    27,324

    Legally punish women for abortion?

    I am not sure if this thread as been started before, I am very curious to know what pro-lifers think about this. If you think abortion is murder and want it outlawed, then shouldn't somebody be legally charged with murder?

    And if you say no to legally prosecuting women for murder for an illegal abortion, why?

  2. #2
    cynical class clown
    Reformedfindlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    03-23-18 @ 12:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,761

    Re: Legally punish women for abortion?

    Well duh, if someone truly believed that abortion is the intentional killing of a legally recognized and protected person, then of course they would want the woman to be charged with murder.

    Kind of a stupid question if you ask me.

    /thread
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  3. #3
    Teacher of All Things

    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,677

    Re: Legally punish women for abortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I am not sure if this thread as been started before, I am very curious to know what pro-lifers think about this. If you think abortion is murder and want it outlawed, then shouldn't somebody be legally charged with murder?

    And if you say no to legally prosecuting women for murder for an illegal abortion, why?
    Abortion will never be outlawed and called murder.

    But, just to humor the OP and her question, in the never-to-be-seen fantasy world where abortion would be deemed murder, then it should be treated as any other murder. All the players involved charged and a jury of their peers hear the evidence and decide their fate. Why would it be any other way?


  4. #4
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,290

    Re: Legally punish women for abortion?

    Personally, I've always been a bit torn on abortion - while I love the idea of killing babies, I just can't stand the thought of giving women more autonomy. I eventually reached a reasonable compromise, and decided that rather than being pro-choice, I was pro-abortion. The difference should be obvious.

    In regards to the overall topic, while I consider abortion to be murder, I don't want it to be a punishable offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  5. #5
    cynical class clown
    Reformedfindlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    03-23-18 @ 12:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,761

    Re: Legally punish women for abortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Abortion will never be outlawed and called murder.

    But, just to humor the OP and her question, in the never-to-be-seen fantasy world where abortion would be deemed murder, then it should be treated as any other murder. All the players involved charged and a jury of their peers hear the evidence and decide their fate. Why would it be any other way?
    It really is a nonsensical OP.

    It boils down to "If abortion is murder and someone got an abortion would they be charged with murder?"

    I don't think OP thought that one through.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  6. #6
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,520
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Legally punish women for abortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I am not sure if this thread as been started before, I am very curious to know what pro-lifers think about this. If you think abortion is murder and want it outlawed, then shouldn't somebody be legally charged with murder?

    And if you say no to legally prosecuting women for murder for an illegal abortion, why?
    And what if she dies in some foul, back-alley procedure? Is that like God's judgement?
    "How do I know what I think 'till I hear what I say?"
    -DJ Trump-

  7. #7
    Guru
    MovingPictures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    4,693
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Legally punish women for abortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reformedfindlay View Post
    It really is a nonsensical OP.

    It boils down to "If abortion is murder and someone got an abortion would they be charged with murder?"

    I don't think OP thought that one through.
    I think the OP is trying to show pro-lifers how utterly insane on principle it is to penalize someone, with the same legal consequences for terminating the development of an embryo, as one would any textbook murder.

  8. #8
    Professor
    Rosie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,439

    Re: Legally punish women for abortion?

    If guys taking part in causing pregnancies are held responsible, with more consequences, there would be better both sex birth control practiced; thus reducing abortions. And if the morning after pill were made much more available, abortion needs would be even further reduced..

    I've always said being pro-choice isn't anti-life. Being smart enough to avoid having to make such dramatic decisions is the aim. And such decisions should be personal.
    Plans to protect air and water, wilderness and wildlife, are in fact plans to protect man
    - Stewart Udall

  9. #9
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,290

    Re: Legally punish women for abortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1 View Post
    I've always said being pro-choice isn't anti-life.
    Blech...
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  10. #10
    Objectivist
    FutureIncoming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Land of the Freedom-Stealers, because also Home of the Cowardly Leaders
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,604
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Legally punish women for abortion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    Personally, I've always been a bit torn on abortion ... I eventually reached a reasonable compromise, and decided that rather than being pro-choice, I was pro-abortion. ... I consider abortion to be murder
    TORN BY BAD LOGIC, MAYBE? Sounds like you are pro-murder. But that is not a viable option, in terms of societal survival. No culture can survive if anyone in it can freely murder anyone else. And only hypocrites think they can murder freely, without themselves getting freely murdered. Thus the thing we call "right to life" is a pragmatic alternative. Accepting it means that while you cannot freely murder, you can also expect to not be freely murdered.

    HOWEVER, for the notion of "right to life" actually work, everyone to which it is expected to apply needs to be able to understand the concept. Since that is a thing impossible for unborn humans, there are two Logical Consequences: (1) They do not qualify as persons and therefore do not have right-to-life, and (2) they can be (partly) freely killed. --not "murdered", since that word only applies to the killing of persons, not the killing of non-persons, mere-animal entities. And I used the word "partly" because while many mere-animal entities can be freely killed, like, say, fish in a stream, the reason for it is, no one is able to claim ownership of those animals. But unborn humans always have owners (their mothers), so it is only them (or those they delegate) who can do "freely killing" of their womb-occupants.
    Stupidly Prejudiced Master Race Idiocy was supposedly stomped into irrelevance by WW2; insisting "human=person" fails to Be Prepared for any future with non-human persons in it. So: Define "person" to accurately distinguish one, regardless of how exists, from a mere animal, universally. Why should Stupid Prejudice let our unborn qualify?

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •