Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Is Plagiarism Disqualifying for a Senator?

  1. #1
    Traveler
    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    20,204
    Likes Received
    6736 times
    Likes Given
    2351
    Blog Entries
    2

    Is Plagiarism Disqualifying for a Senator?

    The Dems' Senator in Montana apparently plagiarized some of his academic work. How important is that? Does it disqualify him? Will it cost him his Senate seat?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/24/us...ed-thesis.html

    ". . . On the campaign trail this year, Mr. Walsh, 53, has made his military service a main selling point. Still wearing his hair close-cropped, he notes he was targeted for killing by Iraqi militants and says his time in uniform informs his views on a range of issues.


    But one of the highest-profile credentials of Mr. Walsh’s 33-year military career appears to have been improperly attained. An examination of the final paper required for Mr. Walsh’s master’s degree from the United States Army War College indicates the senator appropriated at least a quarter of his thesis on American Middle East policy from other authors’ works, with no attribution. . . ."
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #2
    Bàs no Beatha


    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,324
    Likes Received
    5115 times
    Likes Given
    4809

    Re: Is Plagiarism Disqualifying for a Senator?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The Dems' Senator in Montana apparently plagiarized some of his academic work. How important is that? Does it disqualify him? Will it cost him his Senate seat?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/24/us...ed-thesis.html

    ". . . On the campaign trail this year, Mr. Walsh, 53, has made his military service a main selling point. Still wearing his hair close-cropped, he notes he was targeted for killing by Iraqi militants and says his time in uniform informs his views on a range of issues.


    But one of the highest-profile credentials of Mr. Walsh’s 33-year military career appears to have been improperly attained. An examination of the final paper required for Mr. Walsh’s master’s degree from the United States Army War College indicates the senator appropriated at least a quarter of his thesis on American Middle East policy from other authors’ works, with no attribution. . . ."
    If lying and cheating were a dis-qualifier, there would be 100 empty seats in the Senate. What it will probably do, especially in Montana, is hurt him badly in his reelection campaign.

    Added note. As a retired Command Level Officer, he is still subject to the UCMJ for any past offenses.
    "Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, make a different choice."

  3. #3
    Traveler
    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    20,204
    Likes Received
    6736 times
    Likes Given
    2351
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Plagiarism Disqualifying for a Senator?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    If lying and cheating were a dis-qualifier, there would be 100 empty seats in the Senate. What it will probably do, especially in Montana, is hurt him badly in his reelection campaign.

    Added note. As a retired Command Level Officer, he is still subject to the UCMJ for any past offenses.
    Hmmm. Senator from Connecticut was a Marine officer who lied about his service.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #4
    Irukandji
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,708
    Likes Received
    3601 times
    Likes Given
    4733

    Re: Is Plagiarism Disqualifying for a Senator?

    I believe knowing Plagiarism is absolutely Disqualifying.
    Tho many politicians have their speeches written by professionals who are the culprit's.
    And many/perhaps most people tend to incorporate approximate ideas they read into their own which if too precisely replicated/ordered may be 'paraphrase plagiarism.'

    But exact sentences, or many in a row is unacceptable and Dishonest.
    Even using an assemblage of third party quotes to make the same point as an author is stealing his idea and should be credited IMO.
    We see the latter alot.
    So far from being persecuted, the Arabs have crowded into the country and multiplied till their population
    has increased more than even all world Jewry could lift up the Jewish population.
    - Winston Churchill 1939

  5. #5
    Traveler
    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    20,204
    Likes Received
    6736 times
    Likes Given
    2351
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Plagiarism Disqualifying for a Senator?

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    I believe knowing Plagiarism is absolutely Disqualifying.
    Tho many politicians have their speeches written by professionals who are the culprit's.
    And many/perhaps most people tend to incorporate approximate ideas they read into their own which if too precisely replicated/ordered may be 'paraphrase plagiarism.'

    But exact sentences, or many in a row is unacceptable and Dishonest.
    Even using an assemblage of third party quotes to make the same point as an author is stealing his idea and should be credited IMO.
    We see the latter alot.
    Apparently it was a big chunk of his paper.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #6
    Irukandji
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,708
    Likes Received
    3601 times
    Likes Given
    4733

    Re: Is Plagiarism Disqualifying for a Senator?

    Quote Originally Posted by jack hays View Post
    apparently it was a big chunk of his paper.
    ... Toast ....
    So far from being persecuted, the Arabs have crowded into the country and multiplied till their population
    has increased more than even all world Jewry could lift up the Jewish population.
    - Winston Churchill 1939

  7. #7
    Sage

    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    18,940
    Likes Received
    5469 times
    Likes Given
    5199

    Re: Is Plagiarism Disqualifying for a Senator?

    It will be in the hands of the voters.
    Watch CNN FoxNews MSNBC online free

  8. #8
    Witch
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    12,878
    Likes Received
    6531 times
    Likes Given
    8645

    Re: Is Plagiarism Disqualifying for a Senator?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The Dems' Senator in Montana apparently plagiarized some of his academic work. How important is that? Does it disqualify him? Will it cost him his Senate seat?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/24/us...ed-thesis.html

    ". . . On the campaign trail this year, Mr. Walsh, 53, has made his military service a main selling point. Still wearing his hair close-cropped, he notes he was targeted for killing by Iraqi militants and says his time in uniform informs his views on a range of issues.


    But one of the highest-profile credentials of Mr. Walsh’s 33-year military career appears to have been improperly attained. An examination of the final paper required for Mr. Walsh’s master’s degree from the United States Army War College indicates the senator appropriated at least a quarter of his thesis on American Middle East policy from other authors’ works, with no attribution. . . ."
    Joe Biden plagiarized an entire speech, and he's VP.

  9. #9
    Traveler
    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    20,204
    Likes Received
    6736 times
    Likes Given
    2351
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Plagiarism Disqualifying for a Senator?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Joe Biden plagiarized an entire speech, and he's VP.
    I don't believe in being so strict on speeches.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #10
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,582
    Likes Received
    972 times
    Likes Given
    513
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Plagiarism Disqualifying for a Senator?

    The only thing that should disqualify a senator is losing the vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Blacks aren't committing more crime. That's the point. They use drugs at similar rates yet they get harsher sentences and more convictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    I disagree. Just because their drug usage may be no different does not mean their propensity to commit crime is the same or equal.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •