Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Red states mull higher taxes

  1. #21
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    160,763

    Re: Red states mull higher taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Fixed that for you... a rather hollow claim since the only sector of society increasing wealth at a rather impressive rate is the 'over taxed' wealthy...

    you do understand that just because the wealthy are making more money-that does not prove they are undertaxed? see some of us believe that taxation should bear at least some relevance to the benefits you get for those taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    11,376

    Re: Red states mull higher taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    Sorry, what's a $350 million dollar budget hole to a state like Kansas? How many single Americans have over $350 million? Their unemployment rate was 4.3% as of November.
    Past Trump I don't know too many folks who owe that much...

    Let's talk Oklahoma... I can tell you what our 1.3 BILLION shortfall means... a gutted education system, infrastructure, prison, medical, VA system and NO NEW ECONOMIC GROWTH. Rather than admit the budget is a hot mess the CON legislature continues to pretend a boon is coming.

    unemployment rates in the fly over states are highly misleading. The great lament of our state is our young must leave the state of their birth to find work, so the rate means only a few stay and most leave if they want to work...

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    11,376

    Re: Red states mull higher taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you do understand that just because the wealthy are making more money-that does not prove they are undertaxed? see some of us believe that taxation should bear at least some relevance to the benefits you get for those taxes.
    You get a system rigged to keep the wealthy making money far in excess of the vast majority of Americans. I do believe most 'poor' wealthy folks rig their incomes to dodge income tax... I can't cry for a group outpacing the rest of society even as the invisible hand drove the economic bus off the nearest cliff...

  4. #24
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    160,763

    Re: Red states mull higher taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    You get a system rigged to keep the wealthy making money far in excess of the vast majority of Americans. I do believe most 'poor' wealthy folks rig their incomes to dodge income tax... I can't cry for a group outpacing the rest of society even as the invisible hand drove the economic bus off the nearest cliff...
    that's called investment. smart investors can double their money every 7-8 years. I know I do. and when you have more income than expenses, you can invest. I don't know how you get off claiming the rich dodge income taxes given those of us on the top 1% make about 20% of the income and yet pay about 40% of the income taxes. SO obviously MOST of the top one percent aren't doing much of a job in dodging income taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    11,376

    Re: Red states mull higher taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that's called investment. smart investors can double their money every 7-8 years. I know I do. and when you have more income than expenses, you can invest. I don't know how you get off claiming the rich dodge income taxes given those of us on the top 1% make about 20% of the income and yet pay about 40% of the income taxes. SO obviously MOST of the top one percent aren't doing much of a job in dodging income taxes.
    Investments that require a king's ransom to buy into... And are you saying you spend your days reading the reports and phoning your broker or you are 'smart' (rich) enough to have a trust fund broker handling this for you...

    Or they do a GREAT job dodging because or the massive amount of wealth they hold and incrediable rise in income even when the market crashed...

  6. #26
    Educator

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    01-19-17 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,031

    Re: Red states mull higher taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    That is very true.
    -96++0\
    His stated M.O. seems to be:

    Tax cuts for all, especially the wealthy and corporations, and huge unbudgeted spending on infrastructure, wall, etc.

    And no one seems to think this might be an impossibility, for some reason. Like we live in some alternate reality universe.
    They do live in an alternate reality where the economy is still terrible, high paying blue collar jobs are disappearing entirely due to greedy corporations and free trade deals, and they don't have to change their way of life at all to be successful in the new world because Trump will fix everything for them by kicking out illegal immigrants and fighting CEOs and NATO on twitter.

    +

  7. #27
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,531

    Re: Red states mull higher taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    One would think over three decades of Laffer failure would be enough for the Repubs, but apparently not so.

    How can anyone believe cutting revenue and increasing expenditure, is the way to run government?
    I was opposed to cutting taxes and the resulting high debt when Bush did it and when Obama did it. Now we have added $14 trillion in debt in 16 years.

  8. #28
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,531

    Re: Red states mull higher taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Guess the tax cuts for the wealthy did not bring in anything but deficits.
    Odd that you use Kansas as the example. Kansas is doing very well financially, with a debt to revenue ratio of 37%. The average for the country is 51% and some states, like Illinois and New Jersey, are at 75% and 95% respectively.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    12,928

    Re: Red states mull higher taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by vash1012 View Post
    They do live in an alternate reality where the economy is still terrible, high paying blue collar jobs are disappearing entirely due to greedy corporations and free trade deals, and they don't have to change their way of life at all to be successful in the new world because Trump will fix everything for them by kicking out illegal immigrants and fighting CEOs and NATO on twitter.

    +
    I think this is very true actually, and your depiction is accurate.

    The personal economy of many of Trump's supporters *is* a disaster. Trump can do a little, but only so much. Some of his supporters realize this, and some don't. But even the ones that do realize little can be done, are happy to have a voice and whatever slight help they can get. In a way I can't blame them, though for me personally Trump crossed too many lines for me to accept him. His response to Maryl Streep is a poignant current example. And I'm pretty sure it's not going to stop.
    Last edited by Chomsky; 01-09-17 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  10. #30
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    12,928

    Re: Red states mull higher taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    I was opposed to cutting taxes and the resulting high debt when Bush did it and when Obama did it. Now we have added $14 trillion in debt in 16 years.
    Agreed,

    And everything I've seen so far from the Trump administration, seems to indicate the rate of the debt & deficit will quicken.
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •