Page 1 of 104 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1032

Thread: White privilege

  1. #1
    Professor
    Cable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The wagon of a traveling show.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,304

    White privilege

    Is this one of the most mainstream racist ideas out there?
    This is saying I am somehow different because of my skin color. Really? Liberals, will you wake up please?
    This is indeed racist extremism at it's worst. We have enough BS going to that divides us as a country.
    Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.

  2. #2
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: White privilege

    American Privilege is real though.

    our monetary policy is designed to exploit others. Most democrats are too dumb to understand what is happening, which is too bad, as they would probably care.

  3. #3
    Engineer
    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    12,963

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by Cable View Post
    Is this one of the most mainstream racist ideas out there?
    This is saying I am somehow different because of my skin color. Really? Liberals, will you wake up please?
    This is indeed racist extremism at it's worst. We have enough BS going to that divides us as a country.
    You're missing the point. This isn't a micro thing, it's a macro thing. Any given white person could easily be far poorer or have less social mobility than any given black person. However, after 200+ years of whites as a whole absorbing wealth and repressing blacks as a whole, the per capita wealth of blacks is dramatically less than it is for whites.

    This isn't any individual's fault, just a historic reality. Wealth is passed down along the generations and blacks have had less wealth to pass down. Regardless of your race, having dirt poor or uneducated parents will echo down through multiple generations. Couple that with the fact that schools in black neighborhoods are statistically underfunded compared to white neighborhoods, there absolutely is an effect. When you take everything into account blacks as a whole have less wealth and opportunity than whites as a whole.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cable View Post
    This is indeed racist extremism at it's worst.
    By the way that you would actually say something this ridiculously stupid shows you've never opened a history book in your life. This, what you're experiencing as a white person right now, is the worst and most extreme case of racism mankind has ever seen?
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 02-15-17 at 09:21 AM.
    "Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help." ~ Robert A. Heinlein

  4. #4
    Little Miss Sunshine
    TheGoverness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Houston Area, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    19,304

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by Cable View Post
    Is this one of the most mainstream racist ideas out there?
    This is saying I am somehow different because of my skin color. Really? Liberals, will you wake up please?
    This is indeed racist extremism at it's worst. We have enough BS going to that divides us as a country.
    Please stop lumping all liberals together. We aren't a monolith.
    "Everyone makes mistakes. It's what makes us human."
    "But I will still be a feminist. And feminism will still belong to she who chooses whatever she wants, because that's what she wants. And can't nobody tell me otherwise."

  5. #5
    Professor
    Cable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The wagon of a traveling show.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,304

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    You're missing the point. This isn't a micro thing, it's a macro thing. Any given white person could easily be far poorer or have less social mobility than any given black person. However, after 200+ years of whites as a whole absorbing wealth and repressing blacks as a whole, the per capita wealth of blacks is dramatically less than it is for whites.

    This isn't any individual's fault, just a historic reality. Wealth is passed down along the generations and blacks have had less wealth to pass down. Regardless of your race, having dirt poor or uneducated parents will echo down through multiple generations. Couple that with the fact that schools in black neighborhoods are statistically underfunded compared to white neighborhoods, there absolutely is an effect. When you take everything into account blacks as a whole have less wealth and opportunity than whites as a whole.



    By the way that you would actually say something this ridiculously stupid shows you've never opened a history book in your life. This, what you're experiencing as a white person right now, is the worst and most extreme case of racism mankind has ever seen?
    So what does this all mean when the rubber meets the road RA? Is it about white really?
    I grew up dirt poor, and I am at over 6 figures now, as a high school dropout. Is this because I am white? No.
    It is because I applied myself and worked hard.

    Everyone in America has opportunities that the rest of the world salivates over.
    If you want to talk about the challenges of blacks in America I can understand that. But don't tell me I have some special advantage because of my skin color.
    Honestly, I don't think there is anything that can be done to help blacks other than provide a level playing field and let them exploit their own skills and drive.
    Otherwise they are made to feel inferior by the very nature of the affirmative action foolishness. Jesse Owens springs to mind....
    Many blacks make it big time, so it can be done.
    Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.

  6. #6
    Professor
    Cable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The wagon of a traveling show.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,304

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoverness View Post
    Please stop lumping all liberals together. We aren't a monolith.
    Are you saying you agree with my thoughts on this G?
    Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.

  7. #7
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    29,866

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    You're missing the point. This isn't a micro thing, it's a macro thing. Any given white person could easily be far poorer or have less social mobility than any given black person. However, after 200+ years of whites as a whole absorbing wealth and repressing blacks as a whole, the per capita wealth of blacks is dramatically less than it is for whites.

    This isn't any individual's fault, just a historic reality. Wealth is passed down along the generations and blacks have had less wealth to pass down. Regardless of your race, having dirt poor or uneducated parents will echo down through multiple generations. Couple that with the fact that schools in black neighborhoods are statistically underfunded compared to white neighborhoods, there absolutely is an effect. When you take everything into account blacks as a whole have less wealth and opportunity than whites as a whole.



    By the way that you would actually say something this ridiculously stupid shows you've never opened a history book in your life. This, what you're experiencing as a white person right now, is the worst and most extreme case of racism mankind has ever seen?
    Given that the bolded above is true - is it not more of an economic than racial issue? Programs such as the EITC (and other "safety net" programs) are designed to counter economic (as opposed to racial) disadvantage - are you asserting that they should offer different benefits based on the race (rather than the economic state) of the applicant?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #8
    Not An Argument!

    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,326

    Re: White privilege

    Even if White Privilege is a thing, the SJW demonization of the white male does not help race relations but instead exacerbates it.

    I'm with Morgan Freeman on how to end racism:


    "Stop talking about it... I'm going to stop calling you a White Man, and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a Black man. I know you as Mike Wallace, you know me as Morgan Freeman."
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Trump supporters are Nazis.
    In order to justify their violence, leftists will call you names whether or not the label is warranted.

  9. #9
    Little Miss Sunshine
    TheGoverness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Houston Area, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    19,304

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by Cable View Post
    Are you saying you agree with my thoughts on this G?
    Partly. I don't find it racist, I just don't agree with it. I think "privilege" (for the most part) really depends on one's socio-economic status.
    "Everyone makes mistakes. It's what makes us human."
    "But I will still be a feminist. And feminism will still belong to she who chooses whatever she wants, because that's what she wants. And can't nobody tell me otherwise."

  10. #10
    Engineer
    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    12,963

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by Cable View Post
    So what does this all mean when the rubber meets the road RA? Is it about white really?
    I grew up dirt poor, and I am at over 6 figures now, as a high school dropout. Is this because I am white? No.
    It is because I applied myself and worked hard.

    Everyone in America has opportunities that the rest of the world salivates over.
    If you want to talk about the challenges of blacks in America I can understand that. But don't tell me I have some special advantage because of my skin color.
    Honestly, I don't think there is anything that can be done to help blacks other than provide a level playing field and let them exploit their own skills and drive.
    Otherwise they are made to feel inferior by the very nature of the affirmative action foolishness. Jesse Owens springs to mind....
    Many blacks make it big time, so it can be done.
    Nobody doubts that there are tons of blacks who are way smarter, way better educated, and way more successful than you. We all find that very believable. You can't however pretend that blacks in America have the exact same level of opportunity as whites. There absolutely is a difference. The best example of "white privilege" is whining on internet forums about how oppressed you are because someone pointed out blacks as a whole don't have the exact same opportunities as whites as a whole.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Given that the bolded above is true - is it not more of an economic than racial issue? Programs such as the EITC (and other "safety net" programs) are designed to counter economic (as opposed to racial) disadvantage - are you asserting that they should offer different benefits based on the race (rather than the economic state) of the applicant?
    Of course it's an economic issue, and that economic issue hits blacks and other minorities harder than it does whites. We do have our programs based around income and not race right now, but because of historical reasons that naturally is going to include more blacks. I don't really understand what's so hard for some people to recognize that while yes, you as an individual can make your own destiny, groups of people as a whole still have statistical disadvantages from past circumstances.
    "Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help." ~ Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 104 1231151101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •