Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1032

Thread: White privilege

  1. #21
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,373

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by Cable
    Logic seems to be foolish in this respect, because Blacks can and do escape poverty. Your point it taken, but not applicable.
    Obviously it is applicable--names stand in for individuals, not groups. That one black person escaped poverty does not mean that another can, or that all can.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cable
    So the concept of White Privilege does what exactly for anyone?
    Calls attention to a very real structural imbalance of power. It does not speak to all individual transactions, though--just some of them. It does not mean, for example, that there are no white people living in extreme poverty--there clearly are. It does mean that if you're a black person in the same situation, you probably have it even worse than being a white person in that situation. That said, I think there is an unrecognized factor of discrimination against the poor that is nearly as bad as racism.

  2. #22
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    892

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    You're missing the point. This isn't a micro thing, it's a macro thing. Any given white person could easily be far poorer or have less social mobility than any given black person. However, after 200+ years of whites as a whole absorbing wealth and repressing blacks as a whole, the per capita wealth of blacks is dramatically less than it is for whites.

    This isn't any individual's fault, just a historic reality. Wealth is passed down along the generations and blacks have had less wealth to pass down. Regardless of your race, having dirt poor or uneducated parents will echo down through multiple generations. Couple that with the fact that schools in black neighborhoods are statistically underfunded compared to white neighborhoods, there absolutely is an effect. When you take everything into account blacks as a whole have less wealth and opportunity than whites as a whole.



    By the way that you would actually say something this ridiculously stupid shows you've never opened a history book in your life. This, what you're experiencing as a white person right now, is the worst and most extreme case of racism mankind has ever seen?
    Wealth is not passed down from generation to generation in most cases. Total lie!! Go read the book the millionaire next door you may learn something. The black population is not poor because of lack of opportunity, it's mostly because of one's own poor choices and that includes all races in this country.

    Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

  3. #23
    Professor
    Cable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The wagon of a traveling show.
    Last Seen
    05-22-17 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,375

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    Obviously it is applicable--names stand in for individuals, not groups. That one black person escaped poverty does not mean that another can, or that all can.



    Calls attention to a very real structural imbalance of power. It does not speak to all individual transactions, though--just some of them. It does not mean, for example, that there are no white people living in extreme poverty--there clearly are. It does mean that if you're a black person in the same situation, you probably have it even worse than being a white person in that situation. That said, I think there is an unrecognized factor of discrimination against the poor that is nearly as bad as racism.
    To what end, the attention on unfairness?
    Funny, Calamity, I was born out of a coal mining family from WV, and not into the Bush dynasty. I would like then to call out Bush Privilege. I have a real problem with that.
    Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.

  4. #24
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    892

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Nobody doubts that there are tons of blacks who are way smarter, way better educated, and way more successful than you. We all find that very believable. You can't however pretend that blacks in America have the exact same level of opportunity as whites. There absolutely is a difference. The best example of "white privilege" is whining on internet forums about how oppressed you are because someone pointed out blacks as a whole don't have the exact same opportunities as whites as a whole.



    Of course it's an economic issue, and that economic issue hits blacks and other minorities harder than it does whites. We do have our programs based around income and not race right now, but because of historical reasons that naturally is going to include more blacks. I don't really understand what's so hard for some people to recognize that while yes, you as an individual can make your own destiny, groups of people as a whole still have statistical disadvantages from past circumstances.
    Bull crap!! Do you think blacks were the only ones dealing with slavery and other huge issues??? Go look at the people who have fled from other parts of the world to start a new life here and as groups have done very well....

    Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

  5. #25
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    892

    Re: White privilege

    Most people are poor because of their own poor choices! Period!! I am a very successful small businessman that came from nothing and I can attest to this as nearly all my friends are the same as me and we talk about it quite often. A very wealthy friend said it best to me. You can take every dollar from the rich and give it to the poor and in six months I will be on my way to being rich again and they will be on their way to being poor . Creating wealth is all about wise choices ( and other factors) coupled with talent and some have far more talent in this area then others. ( yes making money is a talent) I laugh at some here that sit on their butts here complaining about their situation . If you you have time to sit on your butt here and are unhappy about ones financial situation, you are a example of using your time poorly i.e. poor choice. We all get the same 24 hours a day, some use it far more wisely then others....

    Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

  6. #26
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    05-11-17 @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,661

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by Partsguy57 View Post
    Wealth is not passed down from generation to generation in most cases. Total lie!! Go read the book the millionaire next door you may learn something. The black population is not poor because of lack of opportunity, it's mostly because of one's own poor choices and that includes all races in this country.

    Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    The wife and I were raised poor but now have enough to live in a very nice neighborhood, travel, enjoy life. Will our wealth be passed down? Yes and no....our wealth has enabled us to purchase more opportunities for our progeny, mostly in paying for their education. If they take advantage of it, they have received the better part of what we have to give them. If they don't, oh well....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,955

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by Cable View Post
    So what does this all mean when the rubber meets the road RA? Is it about white really?
    I grew up dirt poor, and I am at over 6 figures now, as a high school dropout. Is this because I am white? No.
    It is because I applied myself and worked hard.

    Everyone in America has opportunities that the rest of the world salivates over.
    If you want to talk about the challenges of blacks in America I can understand that. But don't tell me I have some special advantage because of my skin color.
    Honestly, I don't think there is anything that can be done to help blacks other than provide a level playing field and let them exploit their own skills and drive.
    Otherwise they are made to feel inferior by the very nature of the affirmative action foolishness. Jesse Owens springs to mind....
    Many blacks make it big time, so it can be done.
    You have special advantages because of your skin color.

    Those advantages are so ubiquitous you can't even see it as an advantage.

  8. #28
    Professor
    Cable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The wagon of a traveling show.
    Last Seen
    05-22-17 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,375

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    You have special advantages because of your skin color.

    Those advantages are so ubiquitous you can't even see it as an advantage.
    So you want to paint me black then? What is the fix?
    Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.

  9. #29
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    892

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    The wife and I were raised poor but now have enough to live in a very nice neighborhood, travel, enjoy life. Will our wealth be passed down? Yes and no....our wealth has enabled us to purchase more opportunities for our progeny, mostly in paying for their education. If they take advantage of it, they have received the better part of what we have to give them. If they don't, oh well....
    It's all based on choice. Wise choices vs poor choices. You can give your kids the world and if they make poor choices??? ......go take a look at the book the millionaire next door.

    Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

  10. #30
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    892

    Re: White privilege

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    You have special advantages because of your skin color.

    Those advantages are so ubiquitous you can't even see it as an advantage.
    No the problem is you look at it as a color issue and fail to see its a poor " choice" issue.

    Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •