Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors

  1. #1
    Gradualist
    TheDemSocialist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    19,232
    Likes Received
    8333 times
    Likes Given
    3917
    Blog Entries
    6

    GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors

    What are they hiding?





    Video @: GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors - YouTube

    Yup... Remember that thing about transparency? Yea the GOP hates that, they are not much into that. They want to hide everyone contributing to their campaigns.. So I have to ask "what are they hiding"? This is clear. Its not about "free speech", its about channeling secret money.
    Just a democratic-socialist in the heartland of America.CHECK OUT MY TUMBLR(BLOG)HERE "Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression, and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

  2. #2
    Guru
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-29-14 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,117
    Likes Received
    1744 times
    Likes Given
    1299

    Re: GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    [/FONT][/COLOR]



    Video @: GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors - YouTube

    Yup... Remember that thing about transparency? Yea the GOP hates that, they are not much into that. They want to hide everyone contributing to their campaigns.. So I have to ask "what are they hiding"? This is clear. Its not about "free speech", its about channeling secret money.
    That's hardly territory exclusive to republicans, but I agree they are wrong on this issue. People should be allowed to contribute any amount they like to any candidate they like. In return, every candidate should release his list of donors and how much they contributed. If someone is trying to buy an election or buy a candidate through massive contributions, the voters should know who is pulling whose strings before they pull the lever in the voting booth.

  3. #3
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    24,505
    Likes Received
    10779 times
    Likes Given
    18683

    Re: GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    [/FONT][/COLOR]



    Video @: GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors - YouTube

    Yup... Remember that thing about transparency? Yea the GOP hates that, they are not much into that. They want to hide everyone contributing to their campaigns.. So I have to ask "what are they hiding"? This is clear. Its not about "free speech", its about channeling secret money.
    Seeing how the IRS is targeting groups I can see what the GOP wants to keep that information private.Keeping the donors private protects the donors from harassment by opposition groups ie Democrat lawmakers. Sort of like NAACP vs Alabama when Alabama wanted a list of members.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #4
    Gradualist
    TheDemSocialist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    19,232
    Likes Received
    8333 times
    Likes Given
    3917
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Seeing how the IRS is targeting groups I can see what the GOP wants to keep that information private.Keeping the donors private protects the donors from harassment by opposition groups ie Democrat lawmakers. Sort of like NAACP vs Alabama when Alabama wanted a list of members.
    Saying that its legal to donate as much money as you want to a Super PAC lawyers can do little to nothing. But im glad you wanna see hows buying influence to our politicians. I mean transparency sucks.
    Just a democratic-socialist in the heartland of America.CHECK OUT MY TUMBLR(BLOG)HERE "Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression, and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

  5. #5
    Droog
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Empire State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,418
    Likes Received
    8743 times
    Likes Given
    7007

    Re: GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    That's hardly territory exclusive to republicans, but I agree they are wrong on this issue. People should be allowed to contribute any amount they like to any candidate they like. In return, every candidate should release his list of donors and how much they contributed. If someone is trying to buy an election or buy a candidate through massive contributions, the voters should know who is pulling whose strings before they pull the lever in the voting booth.
    That's little protection when everyone on the ballot is bought and paid for by a small wealthy elite. You seem to think that there is a magical candidate who isn't taking corporate bribes who can afford to campaign on the same level as those who are. The reality is that the majority of voters are swayed by attack ads and saturation of a candidate. Telling everyone about the corporate donors buying your opponent's allegiance costs money that these superior candidates don't have.

    We need less money in the political process, not more.
    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

  6. #6
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    24,505
    Likes Received
    10779 times
    Likes Given
    18683

    Re: GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Saying that its legal to donate as much money as you want to a Super PAC lawyers can do little to nothing. But im glad you wanna see hows buying influence to our politicians. I mean transparency sucks.
    I am for government transparency.I am however not for people being harassed because they choose to donate to a particular person or group.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #7
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    25,574
    Likes Received
    14281 times
    Likes Given
    9470

    Re: GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    [/FONT][/COLOR]



    Video @: GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors - YouTube

    Yup... Remember that thing about transparency? Yea the GOP hates that, they are not much into that. They want to hide everyone contributing to their campaigns.. So I have to ask "what are they hiding"? This is clear. Its not about "free speech", its about channeling secret money.
    And this bill is ?

    Can't discuss it if I can't read it. There are numerous versions of bills and I'd like to know which one he's trying to discuss.

  8. #8
    Sage

    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    42,087
    Likes Received
    9490 times
    Likes Given
    13642

    Re: GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors

    Hell, while we're at it, let's make ballots public, too.

  9. #9
    Gradualist
    TheDemSocialist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    19,232
    Likes Received
    8333 times
    Likes Given
    3917
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I am for government transparency.I am however not for people being harassed because they choose to donate to a particular person or group.
    When you donate to a campaign you are partaking in a political process, and the process should be as transparent as possible. If you cant handle politics for your donation then you shouldnt be involved in the political process.
    Just a democratic-socialist in the heartland of America.CHECK OUT MY TUMBLR(BLOG)HERE "Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression, and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

  10. #10
    Gradualist
    TheDemSocialist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    19,232
    Likes Received
    8333 times
    Likes Given
    3917
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: GOP bill designed to keep secret the IDs of campaign donors

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    And this bill is ?

    Can't discuss it if I can't read it. There are numerous versions of bills and I'd like to know which one he's trying to discuss.
    H. Rept. 113-353 - STOP TARGETING OF POLITICAL BELIEFS BY THE IRS ACT OF 2014 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress
    Just a democratic-socialist in the heartland of America.CHECK OUT MY TUMBLR(BLOG)HERE "Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression, and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •