• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What two years of AI development can tell us about Sora

NWRatCon

Eco**Social Marketeer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

What two years of AI development can tell us about Sora (Vox)​

We live in the best and worst of times, apparently.

"Last week, OpenAI released Sora, a generative AI model that produces videos based on a simple prompt. It’s not available to the public yet, but CEO Sam Altman showed off its capabilities by taking requests on X, formerly known as Twitter. Users replied with short prompts: “a monkey playing chess in a park,” or “a bicycle race on ocean with different animals as athletes.” It’s uncanny, mesmerizing, weird, beautiful — and prompting the usual cycle of commentary.

Some people are making strong claims about Sora’s negative effects, expecting a “wave of disinformation” — but while I (and experts) think future powerful AI systems pose really serious risks, claims that a specific model will bring the disinformation wave upon us have not held up so far.

Others are pointing at Sora’s many flaws as representing fundamental limitations of the technology — which was a mistake when people did it with image generator models and which, I suspect, will be a mistake again. As my colleague A.W. Ohlheiser pointed out, “just as DALL-E and ChatGPT improved over time, so could Sora.”

The predictions, both bullish and bearish, may yet pan out — but the conversation around Sora and generative AI would be more productive if people on all sides took into greater account all the ways in which we’ve been proven wrong these last couple of years."
"In the time between DALL-E 2 and Sora, AI image generation has gone from a party trick to a massive industry. Many of the things DALL-E 2 couldn’t do, DALL-E 3 could. And if DALL-E 3 couldn’t, a competitor often could. That’s a perspective that’s crucial to keep in mind when you read prognosticating on Sora — you’re likely looking at early steps into a major new capability, one that could be used for good or malicious purposes, and while it’s possible to oversell it, it’s also very easy to sell it short.

Instead of overcommitting to any particular perspective on what Sora and its successors will or won’t be able to do, it’s worth admitting some uncertainty about where this is headed. It’s much easier to say, “This technology will keep improving by leaps and bounds” than to guess the specifics of how that will play out."

The technology is fascinating, and expresses much about the future of computing, both on the practical and fantastical level. Many games are now procedurally-generated (think Minecraft). They are going to become fantastic. Many political campaigns, similarly, are fantastical. They are going to become horrific. ;)

Yesterday, we took advantage of a new AI “add on” through the company that hosts our website.

The AI redesigned our entire business website in literally MINUTES. (Updating, adding social media interfaces, changing page layouts, etc)

I am going through and reviewing the text generated and it is surprisingly on the mark with very few edits that I’m making.

It’s amazing and scary - and I can’t even imagine this is newer wave AI.

In a strange way, the coming developments in AI will lead to a sort of dark ages when it comes to the individual's information acquisition.

When everything appears real, we can no longer trust audio, video or photographic evidence. Everything will be fake.

In a strange way, the coming developments in AI will lead to a sort of dark ages when it comes to the individual's information acquisition.

When everything appears real, we can no longer trust audio, video or photographic evidence. Everything will be fake.

I think it will make people value face to face interactions more.

Just being out around people is going to be something that people seek out more than we do now.

It will be the only time we can be sure that what we are seeing is real.

You know what the biggest problem with pushing all-things-Al is?
Wrong direction.
I want Al to do my laundry and dishes so that I can do art, music and writing, not for Al to do my art, music and writing so that I can do my laundry and dishes.

1712022295443.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom