• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:778] (Bloomberg Law) Trump Bond Reduced to $175 Million as He Appeals NY Fine

Has he posted it yet? Seems to me if he had the money, he would have posted it already...

His bond is up to $468 million now and tomorrow it will jump by another million. One would think he would have jumped at the reduced amount to stop the clock on the total amount, so it's quite possible he might not. We'll know on the 4th.

He's had over a month to prepare for a $450M bond. If he can't make this $175M bond, his pants will be down around his ankles.

I think he'll make it somehow, but I wouldn't want to be him these days.

His stock seems to be occupying that area for the moment. ;)

His stock seems to be occupying that area for the moment. ;)
yeah, that stock is something else...for one to know how bad of a day it was....we only need to look at Trump fans on this board...they have been in an extra pissy mood today.

If Trump loses the appeal in full, then Chubb pays the $80 million to E. Jean Carroll, And Chubb takes the $80 million in collateral that Trump pledged to Chubb (he put up an account having cas or cash equivalents worth $80 million).

If Trump wins the appeal in full, that is the appellate court overturns the full $80 million judgment, then Chubb pays $0 to E. Jean Carroll. And Chubb releases the collateral back to Trump’s full control.
Not exactly an all or nothing proposition. It is rare of this kind of verdict to be overturned, so its very unlikely $0 gets paid to Carroll, especially given the aggravating factor that this second judgement was because he could not keep his mouth shut after the first. What could well, happen, however is the CoA lowers the verdict.

The mechanics of this, I do not know. I would assume there is a provision for Trump to merely pay the judgement and have the bond released, rather than the bond company having to pay the judgement and then collect / foreclose on Trump?

Not exactly an all or nothing proposition. It is rare of this kind of verdict to be overturned, so its very unlikely $0 gets paid to Carroll, especially given the aggravating factor that this second judgement was because he could not keep his mouth shut after the first. What could well, happen, however is the CoA lowers the verdict.

The mechanics of this, I do not know. I would assume there is a provision for Trump to merely pay the judgement and have the bond released, rather than the bond company having to pay the judgement and then collect / foreclose on Trump?
The bond company already paid the state. At the end of the appeals process, they will have to collect the final judgement amount from Trump.

The bond company already paid the state. At the end of the appeals process, they will have to collect the final judgement amount from Trump.
I do not believe that is correct. A bond is a debt instrument. Chubb has merely guaranteed payment the ultimate payment, but I do not believe any money has changed hands (except, perhaps the cost of the bond). I could be wrong about that. Do you have any cite that says New York actually has the money?

The actual language of the bond (see cite) seems to support my understanding, which is the surety (Chubb) will pay on final on judgement, if due, if Trump does not pay first. See last paragraph of cite below.

and, a little more background on a supersedeas bond, which is what this is.

.... a learning moment for you and I, both.

The article was evidence of the bank tesifying on Trumps behalf. Perahaps this will help:

Cool article, but it was from March 2022, before he and his company were found responsible for fraud. Got a recent example? Well, Chubb did loan him $91M to pay his bond, so there is that....

Last edited:
yeah, that stock is something else...for one to know how bad of a day it was....we only need to look at Trump fans on this board...they have been in an extra pissy mood today.
Totally odd, isn't it? Trump's problems are only his own, yet his cult wears them on their sleeves. Meanwhile, anyone of them could have an actual tragedy in their lives and Trump wouldn't give a ....... whatever.

Yet another shining example of behavior that tells us this is a cult.

Bond posted by Trump.

Back
Top Bottom