• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The covenant in halo gives me… mixed feelings….

bomberfox

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Ok i finally got around to playing Halo: reach and combat evolved, and i must say the covenant gives me the most mixed vibes i can remember of any video game enemy. In Reach they make it more of a fun romp and i can kind of see them as an existential threat but its mostly the higher tech and numerical forces that makes them more intimidating than the actual on the ground troops when they should be more intimidating. I think explaining via the types of covenant troops might help.

Starting with the Unggoy or the grunts, these small guys are… well flat out hilarious, the way they move and run away in a panic as well as the noises they make makes me laugh but at the same time these little shits can be very effective suicide bombers as ive had a surprise boom take me out on several occasions. I almost feel guilty pushing these guys around.

The Kig-Yar or the shield holding skirmishers are just fun to bulldoze and knock around but they provide a bit of difficulty in getting around the shield but i can still run and gun my way through them with relative ease and i feel like i shouldn't be able to.

The Yanme or flying enemies were the ones that actually presented a challenge to shoot down especially when a Huragok or shield aid enemies are around.

The Jiralhanae or brutes are just more fun to knock around and stomp and give me more of an empowered feeling when i beat them than really feel intimidating when they show up.

The only enemies i really felt a sense of intimidation around were the Sangheli or elites and the Lekgolo or hunters

All in all in Halo: Reach the enemies seem more intimidating because of their technological and advantage of scale than the troops themselves. All in all despite that i can see how they presented a genuine threat to humanity.

In comes Halo: Combat Evolved………..

How…. How… are these guys supposed to be a threat to humanity? How am i supposed to take the covenant seriously?! These guys are positively goofy! I mean its still a hella fun romp but how?! I feel like im fighting a parody of the covenant

The grunts went from being a little silly yet still part of a competent fighting force to just downright comical and i just find them so lovable. Their voices are much higher pitched and goofy When they panic they are so much more cartoonish than in reach. I swear i heard one of them shout “heelp i cant stahppit!” and i busted out laughing.

IMG_6662.jpeg

These guys…. Should be intimidating i mean they look like they should be scary but in Halo: combat evolved… they are just the most adorkable himbos ever. I busted out laughing again when i heard them go wort wort wort wort.

I had to put this into text because its been on my mind for a while.

My favorite skull
  • Grunt Birthday Party: Landing a headshot on Grunts will release confetti, cheers, and invisible rainbows.

My favorite skull
  • Grunt Birthday Party: Landing a headshot on Grunts will release confetti, cheers, and invisible rainbows.
Yas! I mean im already getting the feeling that will happen in Halo: CE

Yas! I mean im already getting the feeling that will happen in Halo: CE
I managed to get the soccer ball once. But you have to be quick for that.
I just played infinite which was quite different from the rest. Good if you like melee attacks.

I managed to get the soccer ball once. But you have to be quick for that.
I just played infinite which was quite different from the rest. Good if you like melee attacks.
I do. That was a thing in Reach i enjoyed. Combat evolved i was just introduced to the flood and holy shit that was wild.

Ok after finishing combat evolved i can kind of see why the covenant was probably not as organized as they were in reach (because of the flood even if at this stage, the flood was just in the feral infector stage overwhelming through sheer numbers) but unless i missed a lot of easter egg footage, the covenant really doesnt have many solid motivations until Halo 2. In the previous two games they are basically a generic all powerful bad guy thats got humanity on the ropes but they dont seem to have any solid motivations. I think Halo 2 was a necessary addition to the franchise to give actual characterization.

It does bring to mind Reach. Did Bungie intend to make this game a series at first or was that a plan after Reach came out. The reason is because Reach has a definite conclusion where your team dies and at the end you are left alone to survive waves of covenant troops until you inevitably die as the ending cutscene shows.

Ok after finishing Halo 3, i kind of get the gist of the game. I didnt really find a lot of the hidden terminals and i got the order of the games wrong. Overall, i kinda think Halo should have ended at Reach.

Ok after finishing Halo 3, i kind of get the gist of the game.

I last played Halo a long time ago but I most enjoyed when you could play against another person (multiplayer) - either as a Covenant combatant or as the Master Chief.
When my kid was between 6 and 11, I could hold my own but when he got to 12 his reflexes and game awareness was off the scale (compared to me) and I just became a walking target for him to practice on before he joined his friends for online combat.

Anyhow, my point is that I didn't enjoy the story as much as I enjoyed the person vs person element of Halo.

I last played Halo a long time ago but I most enjoyed when you could play against another person (multiplayer) - either as a Covenant combatant or as the Master Chief.
When my kid was between 6 and 11, I could hold my own but when he got to 12 his reflexes and game awareness was off the scale (compared to me) and I just became a walking target for him to practice on before he joined his friends for online combat.

Anyhow, my point is that I didn't enjoy the story as much as I enjoyed the person vs person element of Halo.
I gotta say the thing that really irked me about the covenant is they have so many weapons you cant reload so you’re always fishing for new weapons so ammunition management becomes more difficult. I gotta say the hammer is still a lot of fun. I know you can reload some of their weapons but the ones that you cant reload just make no sense.

I gotta say the thing that really irked me about the covenant is they have so many weapons you cant reload so you’re always fishing for new weapons so ammunition management becomes more difficult. I gotta say the hammer is still a lot of fun. I know you can reload some of their weapons but the ones that you cant reload just make no sense.

Ah, the gravity hammer - loved that weapon but yes, I know what you're talking about with covenant weapons. To me, it was part of the challenge and the story.

Ah, the gravity hammer - loved that weapon but yes, I know what you're talking about with covenant weapons. To me, it was part of the challenge and the story.
To be fair i probably should have waited til i beat 3 to post this but it was my impression based on what i played.

I don't know if there will ever be an online game as awesome as Halo, especially after Bungee released the new maps and a map builder.
My son and I got really good at it.

Back
Top Bottom