• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

the breakfast thread

Raisin Bran Crunch w/extra raisins and sliced banana, 2 cuppa joe, half e-muff w/butter, oj

Hot dog gravy served over toast. I had a cup of coffee while I was making it.

What’s your gravy recipe?
1. Chop hot dogs. I used 4 this time. That made about two servings.
2. Get a large skillet and spray it with non-stick spray.
3. Fry the chopped hot dogs until they are slightly browned on both sides.
4. Fill the pan with milk (leaving the chopped hot dogs in,) and raise the heat until there's a low boil.
5. Reduce heat to medium, and sprinkle in a tablespoon or less of flour. Stir it in slowly so that it doesn't clump. Add a pinch or two of salt.
6. Stir constantly. If you stop stirring, it forms a skin. That's not the end of the world, but it works better if you don't walk away.
7. Keep stirring. It's done when you move the spoon across the bottom of the pan and you can see the gravy filling it back in behind the spoon. When it cools, it will thicken more, so don't overcook it. I think today's batch took about a half hour or so from start to finish. It might have been more than that, though, as I was listening to a book while I cooked.
8. Serve over bread or toast. Add pepper to taste.

I used to think that this was purely a family recipe, but I found out that it goes back to the Depression or possibly long before that. It makes sense when you think about it. It's delicious, and the ingredients are cheap. We used to make it as a treat when I was a kid. I remember requesting it on Christmas morning.

1. Chop hot dogs. I used 4 this time. That made about two servings.
2. Get a large skillet and spray it with non-stick spray.
3. Fry the chopped hot dogs until they are slightly browned on both sides.
4. Fill the pan with milk (leaving the chopped hot dogs in,) and raise the heat until there's a low boil.
5. Reduce heat to medium, and sprinkle in a tablespoon or less of flour. Stir it in slowly so that it doesn't clump. Add a pinch or two of salt.
6. Stir constantly. If you stop stirring, it forms a skin. That's not the end of the world, but it works better if you don't walk away.
7. Keep stirring. It's done when you move the spoon across the bottom of the pan and you can see the gravy filling it back in behind the spoon. When it cools, it will thicken more, so don't overcook it. I think today's batch took about a half hour or so from start to finish. It might have been more than that, though, as I was listening to a book while I cooked.
8. Serve over bread or toast. Add pepper to taste.

I used to think that this was purely a family recipe, but I found out that it goes back to the Depression or possibly long before that. It makes sense when you think about it. It's delicious, and the ingredients are cheap. We used to make it as a treat when I was a kid. I remember requesting it on Christmas morning.

Sounds a lot like chipped beef on toast. I can see why it would go back to the Depression. It's hearty, and as you said for the gourmet on a budget. ;)

Coffee and a slice of Dave's killer whole grain bread toasted this morning.

Sounds a lot like chipped beef on toast. I can see why it would go back to the Depression. It's hearty, and as you said for the gourmet on a budget. ;)

Coffee and a slice of Dave's killer whole grain bread toasted this morning.
Yep. It's basically cream chipped beef using hot dogs. The person who invented it hit a home run.

I enjoy watching this channel sometimes :

She cooks Depression era dishes that look really good. Sadly, she has passed away, but I still enjoy her videos.

This morning I made biscuits and gravy, country style home fries with a cup of Cafe Bustelo expresso grind drip.

A real "sticks to 'ur ribs" breakfast

Back
Top Bottom