• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SBF gets 25 years

Winston

Give me convenience or give me death
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Judge Lewis Kaplan

Where have we heard that name before?!

Apparently not only is he a Trump hater..

But, he is a fraud hater. He gave SBF 25 years for operating a fraudulent exchange.

I applaud the sentence. I think it suits what he did. He will be a middle aged man by the time he sees free society again.

I’m not sure if he was repentant at all, I know in the beginning he had no remorse

Good.

Somehow Kevin O'Leary is still seen as someone who should be on TV talking.

Judge Lewis Kaplan

But, he is a fraud hater. He gave SBF 25 years for operating a fraudulent exchange.

I applaud the sentence. I think it suits what he did. He will be a middle aged man by the time he sees free society again.

I’m not sure if he was repentant at all, I know in the beginning he had no remorse

Good. I think all white collar crime of this sort (fraud, embezzlement, defalcation) should be treated with this same level of harshness and with long-term prison sentence the likes of which we hand down to bank robbers.

Good. I think all white collar crime of this sort (fraud, embezzlement, defalcation) should be treated with this same level of harshness and with long-term prison sentence the likes of which we hand down to bank robbers.
I'm not so sure. I think the most severe punishments should be reserved for those who use violence to achieve their ends.

Does he also have to give the money back?

I'm not so sure. I think the most severe punishments should be reserved for those who use violence to achieve their ends.

I disagree. When we hand out decades-long sentences for those who wave around a gun and steal tens of thousands, but a couple years for those who steal tens of millions, we are incentivizing a different kind of crime. I believe destroying people's economic livelihoods and financial futures should bear a very heavy price, even if they do not stick a gun in their victims' faces to get the money.

Ruining thousands of peoples lives is violence. SBF harmed society more than any petty criminal could.

Judge Lewis Kaplan

32+25=57 But, that would be if he served the full 25 years, which he likely won't.

At 57 he could still have time to con investors another way. :)

According to Kate Rooney who is on site reporting for CNBC, Kaplan decided on the 25 years based mostly on deterrence. The sentencing range ran up to just over 100 years.

Not much of an argument but the poster did not say these white collar criminals should get the harshest sentence of any criminals, or more than that of violent criminals. Merely as much as your garden variety crook who steals money. And think of the impact on victims: no one loses their life savings from a bank robbery as all are FDIC insured- at least to a certain amount. How many people's life savings did this guy wipe out?

Judge Lewis Kaplan

GOOD. He has 25 years to sit behind bars and plan his next diabolical move on innocent gullible folks.

Judge Lewis Kaplan

This is interesting. But I bet he'll be out in 5.

And another one, and another one, and another one bites the dust. Sayonara Sam Bankman Fraud. The Crypto scammers just keep finding themselves in jail.

SBF doesn’t come off as repentant. He comes across as bitter and disillusioned. He still craves the massive power he squandered.

No sympathy from me. I imagine SBF’s family currently funnels him enough money for some measure of protection from hostile forces inside the Manhattan-based federal detention center.

Sometime this year, I expect SBF to transfer to an as-yet undetermined federal minimum security prison. Even this might traumatize him for at least a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom